Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Planking bending tool Options
Ant62
#1 Posted : 15 March 2020 09:24:24

Groups: Registered

I thought that i would try the plank bending tool so i decided to order one.
Now ive several videos and its basically simple to use.

But after it arrived and decided to try it im disappointed as to me it is feels rather flimsy and unstable the plastic isnt very thick and it seems to have no rigidity once i try it..
Do all these tools feel the same or it it just this one..

Ant62 attached the following image(s):
20200315_081536_copy_360x365.jpg
Building.
HMS Victory.....
Corel Albatross 1840......Completed
Hindenberg Zepplin museum piece..Completed
Artesian Latina Sopwith Camel.....Completed
Bismark.........
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 15 March 2020 10:08:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have several versions of this tool by different manufacturers but to be honest i never use them.

I find them to big to hold comfortably as i have fairly small hands.

When i do need to use something like this i resort to a set more like a small pair if pliers as as i get my “tiny mits” around the handles easier.

Model expo is one brand they appear under and while this link is NOT a recommendation as that is down to you to seek out your best price, if you want to see what they look like have a look at this ebay code.
333064613823 192559658278

As regards that pair you have you will find the screw holding the 2 halves together is prone to bevoming loose so you may need to tighten that up

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Ant62
#3 Posted : 15 March 2020 10:16:53

Thanks for that info...
I take it that metal the ones on ebay are a lot more sturdier than these plastic versions....
The make is modelcraft but they do feel cheap and at £8 they aint cheap...

When i squeeze them together they bend under the pressure.....
Building.
HMS Victory.....
Bismark.........
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 15 March 2020 10:33:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ant62 wrote:
Thanks for that info...
I take it that metal the ones on ebay are a lot more sturdier than these plastic versions....
The make is modelcraft but they do feel cheap and at £8 they aint cheap...

When i squeeze them together they bend under the pressure.....

I have a model expo pair and they are just like your usual small hand tools (nippers, pliers and the like)

One blade if you could call it that is a square section flat anvil section about 6mm across.

The other blade is just that, a blade, but not razor sharp but sufficient to crimp the plank.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 15 March 2020 11:52:56

Have a look at my post number 70 here and you can see a little update i did on these some while ago.

https://forum.model-spac...sts&t=14254&p=4

Tony
Happy Modelling

Mustang
#6 Posted : 15 March 2020 14:04:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I've used them, there ok if you only apply little pressure.

But I steam my planks now its makes bending planks so much easier.

you just need one of these

Yep a food steamer cheep easy to use, just place planks in the try and steam for 15mins.
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -
Current Build - Below Decks - https://forum.model-spac...sts&m=339187#339187 -

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Ant62
#7 Posted : 15 March 2020 18:40:15

Dont the planks swell as though you where soaking them........
Building.
HMS Victory.....
Bismark.........
Mustang
#8 Posted : 15 March 2020 21:20:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The amount of water that gets into them isn't that much, as it steam it opens them up slightly.

I don't pin them straight to the keel, I fit them temporarily and secure them so they dry to the shape I need, then the following day or whenever I get back to them I can sure them.

Ok so it take a couple of extra days to do some areas but you get a much better finish in my eyes, which means less filler.

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Mustang
#9 Posted : 15 March 2020 21:21:47

It's inefect the same way some older real boats where made, by steaming the planks pulling them to shape and letting them dry to the contoure of the keel.

Coming Soon -

delboy271155
#10 Posted : 17 March 2020 21:20:48

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Some years ago I found the need for a steamer and the one I found and used worked a treat.

I found it on ebay and as it was in my home town, easy to collect so it cost me ONE whole pound.

What was it I hear you ask?

Well, when babies no longer need bottles and Mums don`t like second hand sterilisers get in there and buy yourself a "Plank" steamer.

All you need to do is remove the bottles and internal bits that hold them. Then place the wood strips under the top lid (no need to clamp the lid down) add the small amount of water and steam for your required amount of time.

SIMPLES BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"