Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Another Wire Wheel Question Options
Jalpa_Mike
#1 Posted : 19 March 2020 21:41:26

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Just starting the work on my E-Type. I finished the Countach last year and was ready for another challenge.

Is there a trick to keeping the wires in place when fitting the outer spokes? I have tried the double back tape route and the wires on the upper ring (wires in the “B” packet) want to keep popping out. The wires in the “A” are no issue at all. Also, the inner wires went together with no issues at all! I didn’t even have to use tape. They stayed in place perfectly while I fit the ring and tightened it down.

Sheesh, I finished a 1/8 scale Pocher model of a 1932 Alfa Romeo that had 6 wire wheels and I swear they were easier (while being much more complicated) than the Jaguar.

Just curious what others have done to hold the wires in place until they get the inner wheel ring mounted and tyre fitted.

Thanks,
Mike
File Attachment(s):
D7FBB9ED-88DD-4F3F-B654-1355F872673F.jpeg (3,068kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. — Enzo Ferrari
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 19 March 2020 21:58:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

In the end i struggled.

I was “king of the kids” doing the first 2 wheels with the 3 point cross over. But when it came to the remaining wheels i was almost convinced they gad cut the spikes short and end up breaking down the first 2 wheels and doing them all as per the instructions.

They look ok but i am still really angry with myself for failing.

Now as to those out spokes you are right “they were designed by the devil”.

I ordered some super sticky 1mm d/s tape from ebay.

Just trying to get that in place was a pain but i managed it.

What i found was that for every 2 spoke inserted your first one came loose so it was like that juggling plates trick. Press the first one back in place then work on the next one.

Slow and steady got me there in the end but certainly never found it easy and as i say 2 wheels with the 3 cross over but then failed.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 20 March 2020 09:04:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

When I built my wheels - I'm currently building a third E type - I use a cocktail stick and small dots of cyano adhesive on the outer ends of the spokes instead of using any tape. Allow 10 seconds for the glue to set then move on. I can now build a wheel completely in less than an hour.

I do find it is easier to fit the very final set of upper spokes if the angled end is opened up a bit with pliers so the angle is less sharp. The spoke then fits more easily into the outer ring.

Roy.
Jalpa_Mike
#4 Posted : 20 March 2020 19:33:04

Thanks guys. I just ordered some gorilla glue to hold each wire in place. That is the thing that was so frustrating is I could get six or seven wires in place and then I go to install another one and two or three of the previously installed wires would pop out.

Here is a photo of the 1932 Alfa Romeo wire wheel from Pocher that I built. The wires were much smaller and more difficult to install but I didn’t have any issues with them popping out as I’ve had with this Jaguar.

Mike

File Attachment(s):
340F86B0-F731-48D4-9E3E-6AF7C832BE7D.jpeg (2,046kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 20 March 2020 19:36:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Re-size your pictures to under 140kb, then they will show in the post...BigGrin
Jalpa_Mike
#6 Posted : 24 March 2020 00:53:06

Thanks again for the help! I ordered some gorilla glue from Amazon and that took care of my problem perfectly. I was able to put in one wire at a time, place a dab of glue on it, hold it for 10 seconds and move on to the next. They all stayed in place and none of them popped out. BigGrin
File Attachment(s):
53C85D1E-05A8-4876-A19D-B14A7BAAE212.jpeg (100kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
Jalpa_Mike
#7 Posted : 01 April 2020 22:11:45

Well, that sucks......

I was making good progress on my build until today. I went to grab Pack #16 (Issues 61, 62, 63 & 64) and it is nowhere to be found. Checked all the boxes, but came up empty.

Called customer service who inform me that pack #16 is back-ordered. Sheesh, how do you buy an entire build and yet have 1 month missing?

If this is anything like my Countach build, I’ll be waiting a month or two before I ever see pack #16. I guess I’ll see what other sections I can build and assemble without needing this missing set.

Crying

Mike