Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Calibration/dome problem/projector Options
ironicstan
#1 Posted : 20 March 2020 12:43:52

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone! I recently completed R2 back in December. It was finished in December in Japan. But of course, I had dome problems. I contacted the Japanese support 4 times, but I only got a response once about checking the wires. So I decided to check the English forums.

I eventually found that some people were having speed problems due to a bad motor. So I was able to eventually order a new motor and that fixed the speed problem. But now I am having a new problem. When I turn on R2, he starts rotating the dome right and reaches the sensor, but when he starts to rotate back to the left, he'll immediately rotate back to the right and become stuck. Then he'll finish the calibration process and begin to work.

However, more problems occur. When I try to move R2 forward or backwards, the head will immediately rotate to the left or right. As if the two commands are executing at the same time. And the shake head command doesn't work as well. Though, the speed issue seems to have been resolved.

Could I have bad sensors? I tested them via the test board and they seem to be working fine. I've repeatedly check the cables and made sure that they are fitted securely. Many times. But he still doesn't work properly. This is getting to be quite frustrating.

Also the projector isn't displaying at all when I try to use that function. It will play the sound, but no video will display. I've also checked those wires multiple times, but still it doesn't work.

As I've already spent a lot of money on this project, I really don't mind if I have to order just a couple more parts to fix this. I just want him working properly.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Help me forums, you are my only hope!
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 20 March 2020 16:44:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi there is a troubleshooting page here which might help.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=32756

Just check to make sure any cable have not been put back correctly or pressed home when you re instated the replacment motor.

You may try to switch off the voice command when using him, that may stop the head from rotating him. he maybe picking up background noise.

As with the projector, did it work initially? It may be a loose connector or the ribbon cable is at an angle and needs seating correctly.

Regards
Mark
ironicstan
#3 Posted : 21 March 2020 16:00:40

So I have checked all of the wires multiple times. At least the wires that I think that are being affected by the motor and projector. And it doesn't seem to fix the problem. I suppose I could tear him all the way down and start the wiring process from the beginning again, but that seems like it would be a waste of time.

Here is a quick video demonstrating the startup process. Please check it out and see if you can make sense of it! Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHYBcZQWgw
admin
#4 Posted : 21 March 2020 17:30:49

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

It doesn’t look llike a motor. I’m thinking MCU, or PCB. The signal is definitely a bit scrambled.

Call CS on Monday, get a MCU sent. Tell ‘em I suggested it.
ironicstan
#5 Posted : 21 March 2020 21:38:55

Thanks Mark! The problem is that I live in Japan. I've contacted the Japanese CS multiple times, but they stopped responding to me. Perhaps because my Japanese is not good enough. So talking to them on the phone might be a bit difficult for me. However, I can just order the magazine again I think. That is the easiest solution for me.

I'll try calling them or having a friend call them for me. If I can't get the help I need, I'll just order the magazine with the MCU in it again. As I said before, I don't mind having to spend a little bit more money to get R2 working, I just want him to work.

Thanks again for the help! I'll give an update when I get a new MCU!
admin
#6 Posted : 22 March 2020 02:06:29

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Being in Japan makes a bit of difference! You sound American in your video, so I just sorta assumed. And you know what they say about assuming...LOL LOL LOL
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 22 March 2020 09:53:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi, I’ve also looked at the video. You might also want to check the sensor on the top rim where the dome sits. The little lug on the dome should pass through the sensor. Just a thought.

Mark
ironicstan
#8 Posted : 24 March 2020 09:51:44

I am American! But I live in Japan. :D

I went ahead and just ordered a new MCU. So Hopefully that will fix it. I did check the sensors and I tested them via the board and they seem to be working.

Japanese Deagostini is quite slow. haha I think it took a couple of weeks to finally get the new motor. So once I get the new MCU, I'll update you guys!
Also what is PCB? projector control board?? I could order that next. Once I find out if the MCU helps or not.
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 24 March 2020 10:07:28

PCB stands for printed circuit board. It will be the one you fitted in the dome, however it is most likely the MCU.

Mark
ironicstan
#10 Posted : 26 March 2020 16:34:08

Back again with an update! So I replaced the MCU just a few minutes ago and I'm still having the same problems. I made a video to show what I mean about the head rotating when I try to move R2 forward. The projector still doesn't work as well. I didn't bother to include that in the video. Though one function that did somewhat fix itself is the shakehead function. It'll actually move this time, but no properly. I'm incline to think it is a sensor problem and you said maybe the PCB. Let me know what you guys think!

https://youtu.be/QsLC_QmNH-w

Edit: One detail I forgot to mention. It was probably worth replacing the MCU. As it seemed that the connector for the power cable was damaged. It was very very loose. So I thought may have been the problem. Maybe not supplying enough power. But I guess that didn't fix it completely.
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 26 March 2020 18:15:28

It is a case of elimination, I would get a replacement PCB.
You might want to take off the dome sensor and reseat it, might correct the startup procedure.

Regards
Mark
ironicstan
#12 Posted : 27 March 2020 01:23:27

OK! I'll try ordering the PCB next. I'll do that next Monday. And as far as the sensors, I already try reseating them. I'm not sure what is going on with that. Also I have another question, when R2 finishes the start up sequence, his arms move/shake a bit. Is that normal?

And as for the original MCU that I have, I opened it up and found that the power component had completely unattached itself from the soldering. Perhaps that happened through when I was removing the plug during disassembly. Not sure. But it still may have been causing some of the problems.

Anyways, thanks for the continued help. Next up is the PCB!
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 27 March 2020 08:22:37

When he finishes the startup procedure, he will jerk forward a little, could look like he is shaking but that is normal.

Mark
ironicstan
#14 Posted : 02 April 2020 07:28:17

Hey! Back again! I just replaced the PCB and I am still having the same problems. His head will still jerk to the left or right when I am trying to move him forward. And he doesn't properly complete the start up process.

I'm at such a loss. D: What could be possibly wrong next? Could be it faulty sensors? I did test them with the test board and they lit up properly. So I have no idea.

Also, the projector still doesn't work. The shake head function doesn't work very well either. I imagine that is due to something related to the motor/sensors.

What can I do next? I've contacted the Japanese support 4 times, but I had very little response. I don't know if it's because my Japanese isn't good enough or what.

I don't want to make an issue of money a thing, but I've now spent about an extra 8000 yen (roughly $80), and I am getting nowhere. By the way, I'm not trying to sound like an angry customer. haha I just really want R2 to work. D: I really did enjoy the 2 year process of slowly building and learning about robotics.

Please let me know what I can do next or what Deagostini/model space can do for me. I'd really appreciate it!
Markwarren
#15 Posted : 02 April 2020 08:34:13

The only thing I could think your next step would be to replace the sensors for the head dome. Also make sure you don’t have a large gap between the body and the dome, allowing the sensors to pick up the tabs on the dome. I’m not saying yours is, but some domes I’ve seen have stood a little proud of the body.

Cheers
Mark
ironicstan
#16 Posted : 02 April 2020 12:07:23

I compared the gap between the body and the dome to the pictures in the manual, and it seems to be about the same. Have there been any other reports of the sensors going bad?

Do you think deagostini would send me a whole new R2 unit? haha I'm at a complete loss why this won't work properly.
R2D2Nut
#17 Posted : 02 April 2020 23:22:26

That's what I'm thinking is that the tab isn't blocking the sensor like it is supposed to.

Markwarren wrote:
The only thing I could think your next step would be to replace the sensors for the head dome. Also make sure you don’t have a large gap between the body and the dome, allowing the sensors to pick up the tabs on the dome. I’m not saying yours is, but some domes I’ve seen have stood a little proud of the body.

Cheers
Mark

ironicstan
#18 Posted : 05 April 2020 05:31:14

I just ordered another set of sensors. I'm hoping this will work. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what to do. I'll make an update in a few days once the parts arrive.
ironicstan
#19 Posted : 08 April 2020 11:38:08

Quick update! Deagostini Japan finally responded to my email! Almost 3 months later! Wow! They said they were so backed up with emails and other repairs. I did order the sensors, but they shipped it yesterday without a tracking number. So I am not sure when that is coming. And I just received another email that they sent, for free, another motor. So, uhhh, I guess I could try replacing the motor again. We'll see what happens!
R2D2Nut
#20 Posted : 08 April 2020 14:55:16

Change only one thing or the other. If you change both, you will not be able to tell for sure which is the problem.
Fred

ironicstan wrote:
Quick update! Deagostini Japan finally responded to my email! Almost 3 months later! Wow! They said they were so backed up with emails and other repairs. I did order the sensors, but they shipped it yesterday without a tracking number. So I am not sure when that is coming. And I just received another email that they sent, for free, another motor. So, uhhh, I guess I could try replacing the motor again. We'll see what happens!