Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Kev's - 'Wingnut Wings' 1:32 Bristol F.2b Fighter (Post War) Options
Kev the Modeller
#1 Posted : 05 April 2020 14:17:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all,

Well, I wasn't originally going to show this build on Modelspace and I've already said why elsewhere, but Mick (aka Mogwai) has accepted my challenge to build his Wingnut Wings 1:32 AMC DH.2 kit on the forum (which I'd love to see), if I reciprocated by showing this one on the forum, so here goes!

I have had this kit in my stash for about 6 months now and I've been trying not to scratch a constant itch that demands I build it …. but now I have to give in …. as it's driving me mad! These WnW kits are sheer quality, with some beautifully moulded parts, loads and loads of detail and a superb instruction booklet to ease construction. As soon as you open the box and see one in the flesh, you just know that you've bought a quality kit and regardless of the higher bracket prices that they demand, these kits are definitely worth every penny - money well spent!

I normally like to scratch-build bits and super-detail my models (it's just a habit I have) but this kit will be built mostly OOB with no added detail other than maybe some ignition leads on the engine which don't appear to be included. To be honest it doesn't need anything else!

Kit and contents in the photos below:

This is the scheme I will be using in my build, which is the same as the box art:

Thanks for looking in on my build, all comments and criticisms welcomed!

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#2 Posted : 05 April 2020 14:18:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello all,

Well enough of 'talking the talk' …. it's time to 'walk the walk' as they say! First update for this build is below.

The first section in the kit instructions deals, as always with aircraft kits, with the construction of the cockpit. Further cockpit construction follows in section two. Here we are dealing with the floor, seat, fuel tank and various other fixtures and fittings that attach to the floor. In this build I will not be showing photos of the parts used and their preparation, just the painted and finished sections. In the first photo below I have shown the floor before it is fitted to the rest, just to illustrate the woodgrain that I hand painted and which I am very happy with!

The photos above show completion of stage 1 but I decided to build and paint the instrument panel and pilot's machine gun to give me a head start on section 2 of the build. As a single plastic part the IP moulding is superb and with some careful painting it turned out very nice indeed! Photos below with the obligatory penny shot for scale purposes:

I added the unprepped cockpit side frames to get an idea of what this will look like with the IP in it's final position:

That's it for this update, next one will see the side frames finished and secured in place along with the rear gunner/observer's position completed and seat belts added. I'm enjoying this build, these 'Wingnut Wings' really are a step above the rest in my opinion!

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed.

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 05 April 2020 14:31:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That's an incredible start you've made there. The paint work is amazing.
I too have one of these kits peeping at me on a nearby shelf. I'm frequently tempted to move in on it too.

I'll be watching with keen interest to see how this one goes.

Roy.Love BigGrin
Kev the Modeller
#4 Posted : 05 April 2020 14:41:26

roymattblack wrote:
That's an incredible start you've made there. The paint work is amazing.
I too have one of these kits peeping at me on a nearby shelf. I'm frequently tempted to move in on it too.

I'll be watching with keen interest to see how this one goes.

Roy.Love BigGrin

Thanks Roy, really appreciate your comments. You should build it mate, they are amazing quality and beautifully detailed straight out of the box. Would be nice to see a few more aviation builds on here and could be a nice change for you if you fancy a break from your cars - which are excellent by the way!

Which Wingnut Wings kit do you have Roy? The same as this Bristol or something different?

Thanks for watching, Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 05 April 2020 14:57:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nicely done Kev I must admit I would not like to sit on top of the fuel tank in a wicker chair.
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 05 April 2020 15:38:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Kev. Glad you are showing this build, I have a couple of these kits myself. Excellent painting, a true eye for detail.Love Love Drool

Mark
roymattblack
#7 Posted : 05 April 2020 16:02:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Hello Kev.
Mine is the Sopwith 'Ships Camel'...
I must admit I do open the box and look at it quite often...LOL
mogwai
#8 Posted : 05 April 2020 16:40:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi superb start your detail painting is first class ,I'd be happy if mine turned out half as good,will enjoy following your journey to completion of this superb kit.cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
CaptnBirdseye
#9 Posted : 05 April 2020 17:55:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Great start Kev, one I will definitely be following with interest. ThumpUp
By the way, your photos load first time every time, so maybe that’s a format we all should follow Unsure

Regards Gray
Gandale
#10 Posted : 05 April 2020 23:28:25

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Kev, off to a great start and will be following with a great deal of interest....Cool Cool .. As you know, my passion is with period ships but unfortunately will not be doing any more after I've finished the Vasa. I have one of these Wingnut kits, the Sopwith Triplane but, I've never built anything in plastic so need to pluck up the courage to make a start with this one. Following your build may just give me the inspiration needed to do the Triplane when the Vasa is finished.... Am sure I'll learn a lot following your build... Good luck with it.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Kev the Modeller
#11 Posted : 06 April 2020 16:26:28

Thanks for your interest and great comments guys, always appreciated! Cool ThumpUp

@ Martyn - Yeah! I had exactly the same thoughts when I was building that part of the cockpit. With these old biplanes being constructed of mostly wood and canvas any projectile that hit this area would go straight through the outer skin and into the fuel tank. Kabbooom!! The pilot would be engulfed in flames, flying without wings … and dead!!

@ Roy - The WnW 'Ships' Camel is a nice kit, one of several Camel variants that they've produced. I seem to remember that there is also another Camel on it's way in their future releases! I intend to build one of their Camels at some point so I'd be interested to see your build diary if you were to build your kit sometime soon?

@ Gray - Yeah, I noticed that they are loading straight up too. I think it's because I've stopped using the Modelspace 'Attach files' facility and instead have been using 'Imgur' to store my photos as well as on my PC, then by writing my diary updates in a 'Word' document, I can just get written [img] codes also known as 'BB' codes generated for each photo by Imgur, which I then just copy and insert into my word document where I want any photos. It also allows me to write text between my photos which isn't possible with the Modelspace system. Those codes are a direct link to my account on Imgur and load automatically as you open my posts?

@ Alan - Sorry to hear that you won't be building any more of your fabulous period ship kits and I won't ask why, but glad to hear that you are thinking of building your WnW Sopwith Triplane, I would like to see that one sir! The only thing I would say is if you've never built a plastic aircraft kit, I wouldn't start with a complicated Triplane. May be better to buy a cheaper biplane kit or two to practice on first until you feel confident enough to tackle three wings! Just a thought maybe but if you want to build your triplane first then I'll be happy to answer any questions that you might have throughout the build?

Great to know that there's at least five more Wingnut Wings kits lurking amongst the forum members' stashes!

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Gandale
#12 Posted : 06 April 2020 19:11:09

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks Kev but you should know me.... I don't go for easy, I prefer to be doing something that has a challenge about it....Laugh Laugh Laugh .. For now its all research on techniques.....

Regards

Alan
Kev the Modeller
#13 Posted : 07 April 2020 11:26:25

Yeah, I know what you mean Alan, I'm the same which is why I find it very difficult to build a kit straight OOB without adding loads of extra scratchbuilt bits. It seems to be more fun that way, though sometimes I wish I could just accept the challenge of NOT making it harder for myself! Lol!!

Enjoy the build when you start it mate and as I've said, if you need any help with techniques or whatever don't hesitate to ask?

Have fun. ThumpUp

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 07 April 2020 18:30:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well what can I say. Blink Blink

Amazing, Cool, FAB etc, etc.

A real class in putting a kit together with a stunning paint job and that`s only on the first stages. Bring on the rest I`m hooked.BigGrin

I have the Sopwith F1 Camel from this collection, but I fear it will be a totally out of the box build when it comes of the shelf, as my painting skills don`t get near this standard as never used anything other than standard model paints and scared to make a total mess of a superb kit.

Will be following this with great interest. Love plane builds.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Kev the Modeller
#15 Posted : 20 April 2020 17:11:55

Thanks for looking in and your very kind comments Derek, always greatly appreciated! Cool ThumpUp

You should make a start on that WnW Sopwith Camel, it'll be fun to build and will make a superb model! Drool

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#16 Posted : 20 April 2020 17:18:03

Hello people,

Time for another update! Managed to get the cockpit finished and ready for insertion into the fuselage, which will be in the next stage. All that you see in the following photos is what comes in the box, except added a couple of throttle selector rods to the port cockpit framework where the levers are situated, strange that WnW didn't include such as they are normally very detailed right down to the last nut and bolt!? Also added some 0.15mm bracing wires to the frames as suggested in the instructions and added a small piece of square sectioned styrene along the top of the fabric (etch) bags where the empty ammo mags go in the rear gunners' position. this is present in the real aircraft and I wanted to strengthen the very minimal way in which the etch piece is fixed to the framework? Forgot to include a penny shot for scale but you can work that out from the 1cm squares on printed on the cutting mat!

First photo shows the etched parts for the cockpit, namely the various belts and the empty magazine carrier (before folding). Second photo shows it folded and added a few creases and marks to it to simulate a fabric pocket?:

All painted up and washes added:

Side frames all detailed up and painted, bracing wires added:

Rudder control cables added:

Rear gunners' seat painted up:

All of the cockpit components ready to be assembled into one unit:

A selection of photos of the fully assembled cockpit:

That's all folks, hope you like it and I'll see you in the next update, where it's time to hide most of that cockpit detail inside the fuselage!

All comments and criticisms welcomed.

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
mogwai
#17 Posted : 20 April 2020 17:57:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev superb work as always, enjoying learning from the master aircraft builder,look forward to your next update .cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
tf64
#18 Posted : 21 April 2020 11:05:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fab work Kev and very neat.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

CaptnBirdseye
#19 Posted : 21 April 2020 11:47:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Kev if i had only half your talent i would be tempted to have a go at mine ThumpUp

looks fab!

Regards Gray
darbyvet
#20 Posted : 21 April 2020 15:06:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fabulous work kev.I am so glad you decided to build it.A lot of people in USA are selling theirs on ebay because the prices have gone through the roof.

Carl