Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Here`s one I made earlier Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 05 April 2020 20:45:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Crying Crying Crying Crying

In fact a lot earlier (2017) in fact, but never got around to posting for reasons I won`t go into now.

Anyway.

This is a build of a Bae Hawk as used as a trainer plane at the time of this colour scheme by the RAF. Now better known in its red guise as used by the "Red Arrows". Also possibly modified since this one.

This kit is/was produced for sale by "West Wings" and was designed as an RC air-ducted model to be used with a 3 channel/ 3 servo RC set-up.

Stats:

Wingspan 89cms (35ins)
Length 101cms (39.8 ins)

Can be run with a 480 electric ducted fan.

This build thread is it from start to finish from pics I took at varying stages during construction in 2017 (first 11 pics) and the last 6 pics taken today of the canopy fitted (not taken before) and 5 pics of a vertical victory roll of sorts. LOL LOL

The construction is of the built on plan genre (normally one side or the other) where the frame in this case is balsa covered with a few bits of vac formed plastic.

Pic one: A frame and a covered frame

Pic 2: Wings and their skins.

Pic 3: First half taking shape.

Pic 4: 2nd half coming together.

Pic 5: Looking like a Hawk.

Pic 6: Now its a Hawk.

Pic 7: Base colour on.

Pic 8: Several top coats later.

Pic 9: Basic cockpit details added as per kit supplied.

Pic 10: Yellow striping starts.

Pic 11: Tail stripes go on.

Pic 12: Canopy and some of the decals. (Taken today)

Pics 13 - 17: The vertical role (if you look at them quick) LOL LOL

There were some decals of a dragon meant to be on the tail, but after receiving two sets none of them were fit for purpose as the yellow colours were so thin they disappeared on the black main colour. Crying Crying

Enjoy

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 05 April 2020 21:38:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin I bet if you radiod that up and weighted it out it would make a wicked slope soarer. Just an ideaCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#3 Posted : 05 April 2020 23:39:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely looking build Derek, she looks great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 06 April 2020 08:45:11

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lovely work Derek, the finish on that is beautiful.Cool ThumpUp

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#5 Posted : 06 April 2020 10:43:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Top job Derek, very cool and I bet that looks superb in the air! Cool

Thanks for posting, great to see another Aviation build on here. ThumpUp

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
mogwai
#6 Posted : 06 April 2020 12:38:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looks ready to fly, great looking model cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
bfam4t6
#7 Posted : 06 April 2020 15:01:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very cool! I love the scale, and the paint job turned out great! This would make a very nice display piece. Thanks for sharing!
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

tf64
#8 Posted : 06 April 2020 18:21:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Derek,

it's a pity you didn't post this one Derek, I would have loved to see this one come together as this is how I started modelling many years ago before plastic kits were around.

Top job m8

Regards

Trev.

Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

delboy271155
#9 Posted : 07 April 2020 09:15:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Many thanks for all the positive comments, as always they are much appreciated.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

To answer a few points this kit was built for display purposes only, so therefore has no hardware inside therefore will never fly. I`d be to scared of turning it into matchsticks if I tried. Crying Crying LOL LOL

The kit was designed for a ground catapult launch, well spotted Andy.

Sorry Trev. This was built originally for a third party and whilst I was very busy on other stuff. The pics taken were for the client to show progress, but due to another party Cursing the deal went sour, very sour.

I may find another of these kits one day as I really enjoyed this style of build.

Until then happy building and keep safe.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

tf64
#10 Posted : 30 April 2021 09:12:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent build Derek a very good finish too, is it still in good condition and held in shape.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

delboy271155
#11 Posted : 01 May 2021 16:58:04

tf64 wrote:

Excellent build Derek a very good finish too, is it still in good condition and held in shape.

Regards

Trev

Hi Trev, BigGrin

Due to circumstances beyond my control, this completed model has been passed to the Lincolnshire aviation heritage museum to raise funds for their Lancaster restoration. I had it stored for over a year and it was in excellent shape.

Hope to make a start on the Hunter soon.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)