Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Figure painting question Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 06 April 2020 08:46:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I've only just started in on the Fantasy figure hobby by subbing to The Age of Sigmar.

I have the first two sets of figures to paint and what I want to know is this:

Being a car modeller, I always use Halfords Acrylic white primer for plastic.

Can I use this spray as a primer for the figures which will then be painted with Citadel acrylics?
I've never used Citadel paints and I want to be sure the primer will work ok with them.

Priming all the little figures with a brush full of Citadel primer just seems so immensely time consuming.
Kev the Modeller
#2 Posted : 06 April 2020 11:08:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello Roy,

I don't see why it would be a problem as the Halfords primer is acrylic as are the Citadel range of paints so acrylic on acrylic shouldn't cause any adverse reactions? If you were to use an acrylic base and either oil or enamel paints on top of that, again it shouldn't cause any problems. Do it the other way round with an oil/enamel based primer and acrylic over the top, then you will likely get problems such as crazing, but that depends on how thick the oil/enamel paints are as they dry slower than the thinner acrylic layer on top which will almost always cause 'crazing' problems.

I have read of miniature modellers having problems using Halfords primers on their figures but I've read a lot more cases of others having no problems? Apparently the Halfords primers for plastic have a slightly 'hotter' type of solvent in them than standard Halford primers, because the hotter make up is there to help the paint adhere to such as ABS plastic bumpers and the like which will get bumped and knocked. They are designed for automotive use and not intended for modelmaking but hey, a lot of modellers use them - as have I in the past!? However, I know that you like to use their primers on your plastic cars and haven't seemed to have any problems so should be fine, just highlighting the hotness of the plastic primer.

I use Tamiya's 'Fine Grey Primer' aerosols for all of my model priming, which is brilliant stuff even if a little expensive, but it goes a long way (would go a very long way on miniature figures!) and when the solvent evaporates it really dries down to an amazingly thin layer, allowing all of the detail to still be visible. Halfords primers on model cars is fine but I would wonder if, being slightly thicker than standard model intended primers, whether it might cover up some of the finer detail on these 'Warhammer' figures? If your figure sets have several poses with each pose being repeated several times it might be worth just trying out your primer/paint sequences on one or two of those repeated poses just to see what happens and avoid ruining the whole lot, whether that be paint reactions or obliteration of too much detail - just in case!

A little tip for you Roy. White primer is fine as it will give an undercoat that allows the top colours to appear brighter, but grey is better for indicating the detail and where the highlights and shadows are for when it comes to painting all of the smaller details.

There is a very good site for figure modelling techniques here which although mostly military subjects should help you, especially with faces, uniforms etc:

http://missing-lynx.com/...es/articles_figures.htm

Before painting, primer or otherwise, always wash your figures in warm soapy water, then clean water and then allow to dry naturally in such as an airing cupboard. That way you'll remove any mould releasing agents on the plastic that may cause problems with the primer sticking to the plastic?

Hope that helps?

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 06 April 2020 11:19:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

MANY thanks for such a detailed reply Kev.
I think I'll try the Tamiya primer you suggested - if I can get it via Amazon prime.
I'll also have a peep at the website you suggested.

Again, many thanks for such a full reply.

Roy.
Kev the Modeller
#4 Posted : 06 April 2020 11:31:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Just checked the Amazon site myself Roy and they seem to have some available. It's full product name is - Tamiya Fine 'Surface' Primer L Grey (180ml) - you can also get it in white, but as I've said grey is better for detail definition prior to colour painting.

Citadel do their own aerosol primers, though apparently they are more of a base colour than a primer and I know some have had problems with them and had to strip it off and start again …. and they are quite expensive to boot! ThumpUp

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 06 April 2020 11:56:39

I've just ordered most of the 'Contrast' range from Element games.
Games Workshop are out of stock...

Just ordered the fine surface light grey primer on Amazon too.

Many thanks - Roy.
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 06 April 2020 14:28:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Taimya fine surface primer works fine on the GW kits I have built. They also make their own spray can primers too in black,white and several base colors. Their primers are amazing .They dry in just a few minutes and have really good coverage. The only downside is cost.They are really expensive-at least in USA.

Carl

roymattblack
#7 Posted : 06 April 2020 14:46:07

Thanks Carl.
It is a rattle-can of primer I've ordered.
Fingers crossed...
skyfire
#8 Posted : 06 April 2020 15:48:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

While not an actual figure, (of a person), you can see what the painting is like. This was brush painted from primer to where it is now. Still amazed they managed to create something that looks like the 2 legged walker from Star Wars. Vehicle is called an armoured Sentinal. :)