Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

LunchBox Options
LunchBox
#1 Posted : 18 April 2020 14:12:38

Groups: Registered

I'm anticipating the arrival of my cross-section of the HMS Victory and my very first DeAgostini model. While doing my pre-project deep dive into the history and modeling techniques, I wondered if anyone has modified it to show more of the mast, allowing the rigging to be attached to the chainwales? I know it's very far down the road but I like to try and map out my final destination at the start and take detours along the way. If anyone knows of or seen this I'd greatly appreciate it. Cheers
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 18 April 2020 15:27:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Lunchbox.

Funny you should mention that! This is my project for the (far) future too. I'm intending to model the entire main mast eventually which means having to extend the deck and hull sides backwards enough to fit all of the mainmast chainwale for the rigging. What I'm thinking of is a graceful curve up and back from about the halfway up point on the hull, so it would only be the top gun deck and a few planks on the deck below which would have to be added on to the actual model (no extra keel required!)
Its going to be a long time yet before mine gets started so I'd love to see yours get underway with a build diary. (So I can pinch bits!)Blushing
Best of luck with her!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
LunchBox
#3 Posted : 21 April 2020 18:34:59

Well... you're going a little above and beyond what I was planning. After looking at some other modelers and some detailed rigging plans, I think I'm just going to plan on running the rat lines and showing the main course rigged in "battle sail". I know it wouldn't have all the proper rigging sets off the yards but I think it would be a little more appealing to the eye. (Plus giving me a little more practice with rope work before I take on a more advanced ship) I'll be sure to post some progress reports as I go. Feel free to dissect my approach and use what you think will work along with pointing out any issues I may run across.
goddo
#4 Posted : 22 April 2020 01:44:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Lunchbox,
Welcome to the Forum and your idea of extending the cross section detail sounds very exciting.
Personally, I dived straight in to the full HMS Victory model and haven't tackled the cross section yet.
Your plans seem very plausible and I wish you luck.
There is lots of talented advice available on here and I will be watching to see how you get on.
Chris
LunchBox
#5 Posted : 29 April 2020 01:11:06

Well I've undertaken the task and am almost at the point where I need to drop a deuce or get off the pot when it comes to my mast. I'm still in the process of breaking down different scales in order to get the proper dimensions for my mast and yards. I'll post some pictures of my journey and the final plans for the mast so you fine people can point out anything I'm missing. Stay safe and cheers

Andy
File Attachment(s):
20200428_195909.jpg (2,230kb) downloaded 54 time(s).
GilShapley
#6 Posted : 29 April 2020 11:24:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Lunchbox

Hope you are enjoying your build

If you would like a copy of the main mast plans from the Victory build PM me your EMail address and I will send you a copy

Gil

Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Gandale
#7 Posted : 29 April 2020 22:36:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like your progressing very nicely there... well done....Cool Cool Cool Cool

You may also notice not too many members are taking the trouble to download your pic to view. Would advise you resize your pics to 650x480 pixels and post as jpg not jpeg. That way they'll show up on your post and members won't then have to download....Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan