Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Hawker Hunter - Large scale ONGOING Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 02 May 2021 22:59:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

My eyes are peeled Derek and I'm sure I'll enjoy following your progress.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
admin
#22 Posted : 03 May 2021 04:56:40

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

RC aircraft are something I’ve assiduously avoided for years. They fall out of the sky, and go crunch! However, I DO have a thing for Armortek kits. They don’t fall, and they will crush anything in the way!

This is going to be beautiful!

goddo
#23 Posted : 03 May 2021 08:17:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

WOW!!!
I’ve just looked at the Amortek web site.
Some of those kits are amazing.
Sadly, the price tags for all of them are way outside my budget.
Maybe if I robbed a bank......?
delboy271155
#24 Posted : 18 May 2021 19:11:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin BigGrin

Doing some prep work for the start of this build.Blink Blink

I`m using the same build board I used for the "HAWK".

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=33526

It`s a cork notice board that is 47.5" wide x 35.5" high, or in new terms 1.2mtrs x 0.9mtrs. It takes and holds the small map pins very well, so is ideal for the job.Cool

First issue is that the kit is some years old and the plans have been folded for some time and therefore don`t want to lay flat. I have therefore pinned the plan to the board with as much tension as I dare and will let the air get to it for a day and then re-pin it a bit tighter. (See attached pic)

I have purchased the cover for the plans that even at double thickness you can still see the plan and it works out at approx 3gms per sq mtr and only £3 for 12 sq mtrs.

https://forum.model-spac...px?g=posts&t=35082.

As soon as I get the plans as flat as poss, I`ll cover them and get started.

So more soon.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
20210518_182319.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#25 Posted : 18 May 2021 20:04:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Derek,
Have you considered turning the plan over and ironing it on the back? Not too hot though.
Many years ago I was an "on the board" draughtsman for a structural engineering company so it was before computerised versions were available (I know, that makes me about 200 years old!). Anyway, some of my drawing prints were folded rather rolled and I used the iron method to remove a fair amount of the creases.
Might be worth a try on a dummy piece of paper about the same weight?
delboy271155
#26 Posted : 19 May 2021 21:41:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

goddo wrote:
Hi Derek,
Have you considered turning the plan over and ironing it on the back? Not too hot though.
Many years ago I was an "on the board" draughtsman for a structural engineering company so it was before computerised versions were available (I know, that makes me about 200 years old!). Anyway, some of my drawing prints were folded rather rolled and I used the iron method to remove a fair amount of the creases.
Might be worth a try on a dummy piece of paper about the same weight?

Had thought of that solution, but my ironing skills are zero.LOL LOL

May give it a (careful) try to see if it makes any improvements though.

Thanks for the idea. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Mustang
#27 Posted : 19 May 2021 21:45:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you place a tea towel or towel over the paper and then iron it you could get them out and not damage the paper this is what I do when ironing my cross stitch fabrics.
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -
Current Build - Below Decks - https://forum.model-spac...sts&m=339187#339187 -

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
delboy271155
#28 Posted : 19 May 2021 21:50:53

Mustang wrote:
If you place a tea towel or towel over the paper and then iron it you could get them out and not damage the paper this is what I do when ironing my cross stitch fabrics.

Thanks BigGrin

Wifey says she won`t iron the plans in case she burns them. Me, I only know how to plug the darn thing in. LOL LOL

Lots of tips, thankyou guys. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Mustang
#29 Posted : 20 May 2021 11:56:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

How big is the plan, I have a long postal roll here so if you wanted to posted it to me I would have a look and see if I could iron it out for you then roll it up and post it back.
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -
Current Build - Below Decks - https://forum.model-spac...sts&m=339187#339187 -

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Markwarren
#30 Posted : 20 May 2021 22:02:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

delboy271155 wrote:
Mustang wrote:

Thanks BigGrin

Wifey says she won`t iron the plans in case she burns them. Me, I only know how to plug the darn thing in. LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

What’s an Iron, have I missed something.BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#31 Posted : 21 May 2021 08:33:20

Confused Oh come on Mark you know what Iron is , they dig it up and make bridges and things out of it LOL LOL
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#32 Posted : 21 May 2021 13:33:29

Mustang wrote:
How big is the plan, I have a long postal roll here so if you wanted to posted it to me I would have a look and see if I could iron it out for you then roll it up and post it back.

Thanks for the offer of assistance. Cool Cool

Looks like things should be ok as I`ve had the plans pinned out for a couple of days in a warm room and I`ve just re-pinned it to take up the slack as the creases gradually flatten out.

Hope to make a start on this early part of next week.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Silent_Running
#33 Posted : 22 May 2021 15:31:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

delboy271155 wrote:
Mustang wrote:

Thanks BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Hi Derek
Yes! The dry tea towel is exactly how to iron the creases out without burning anything and make sure the steam setting is turned off. Or you could hang it up so it’s loose gripped by two clothes pegs, and use a steam gun or the iron on full steam held at a distance and short bursts of steam. The creases will then drop out. Looking forward to this! BigGrin
Plymouth57
#34 Posted : 22 May 2021 16:53:59

Hi there Derek!

Just caught up with your diary! I found this 'how to' video on youtube about removing the creases with the iron method, looks pretty good and the comments section is full of questions and answers too!
Hope it helps and best of luck.

Robin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOgWuLhUaRc
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
delboy271155
#35 Posted : 22 May 2021 18:07:14

WOW Cool Cool Cool

Just shows what you can find out by asking a simple question.Love Love

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. BigGrin BigGrin

I have today removed the right side parts of the front fuselage from their frets and made up a dry fit. Some adjustments may be needed when pinned to the plans, but it all looks close enough for a starting point.

So just the one pic for now, with more to come soon.Blink Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20210522_172031.jpg

Markwarren
#36 Posted : 23 May 2021 09:53:24

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Derek. You’re going to need a lot of room for this one.

Mark
delboy271155
#37 Posted : 23 May 2021 19:13:58

Markwarren wrote:
Nice start Derek. You’re going to need a lot of room for this one.

Mark

Hi Mark, BigGrin

This is a biggun.

I`ve prepped the other side of the front fuselage and trimmed up the pre-formed nose sections in readiness for the big glue-up that`s coming.

Got my second covid jab midday tomorrow so will update asap after that.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Markwarren
#38 Posted : 23 May 2021 21:52:11

Hope you feel better than last time. Got my 2nd on Tuesday afternoon.BigGrin

Mark
delboy271155
#39 Posted : 24 May 2021 16:57:59

Hi All, BigGrin

Well second covid jab done and dusted and now got a small update on the Hawker Hunter.

I took an iron (carefully) on a low heat to the plans and I`m pleased to report that they no longer look like a relief map of the Himalayas.Blink Blink

I then put on a double layer of the super thin dust sheet reported on earlier:

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=35082

With the plan protected from glue etc, It was down to laying the first parts and pinning them in place having applied balsa cement on the joining faces. I also placed the first two formers (F1/F2) shown in the pic to hold things stable. These are not glued yet.

Leaving that to set solidly and then I can get some more done and post the next update.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20210524_162119.jpg

goddo
#40 Posted : 24 May 2021 17:30:44

Hi Derek,
Sounds interesting. Does this sheeting that you mention "stick" like clingfilm or is it non stick?
Chris