Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Hawker Hunter - Large scale ONGOING Options
delboy271155
#41 Posted : 24 May 2021 17:50:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

goddo wrote:
Hi Derek,
Sounds interesting. Does this sheeting that you mention "stick" like clingfilm or is it non stick?
Chris

Hi Chris, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in. Cool

The cover is Non-stick, but if you have a part built model you can cover/wrap it with this stuff as it is so light its unlikely to cause any damage due to weight. A single layer weighs just 3gms for a sq mtr.

Hope that helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tf64
#42 Posted : 24 May 2021 19:59:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Good start Derek.

Watching

Regards Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

delboy271155
#43 Posted : 25 May 2021 14:09:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

tf64 wrote:
Good start Derek.

Watching

Regards Trev

Thanks for looking in Trev, much appreciated.Cool

I`ve made a little more progress today.Blink Blink

I set the small nose former (F1) in place and square. Waited till set and followed on with former F2 and the combined F3a/F3b. When these were proven to be square I placed (unglued) part K3 to retain the setting of the formers and all is testing nice and square.

I`ve changed adhesives from balsa cement to an aliphatic resin for the latest joints as the parts are now a mix of balsa and ply.

One pic to show how things are going so far.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
20210525_134714.jpg

tf64
#44 Posted : 25 May 2021 20:58:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Derek,

Thanks for posting very interested in your build, as for glue I use Titebond Pro original wood glue for my balsa/ply builds.

Sands easily
Short clamp time
Water cleanup

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

delboy271155
#45 Posted : 25 May 2021 20:59:44

Hi Trev

The adhesive you use sounds almost identical to the aliphatic I use, so good to know there is another product about should I run out.Cool

Last bit for today,BigGrin BigGrin

Fixed the rest of the formers 4,5 and 6 and added a couple of 3mm sq stringers, all of which have been glued up and set. Removed the frame from the plan and it sits very flat on the table. (Pic1)

Last job for the day was to trim up the pre-formed nose cone for that side. Will still need a smoothing along the edges after its glued in place, but its as close as I dare for now. (Pic 2)

Next job is to build the opposite side of the front fuselage. This will be a one pic update as its just a mirror of the side already done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

8.jpg
9.jpg

tf64
#46 Posted : 25 May 2021 22:28:08

This is one of the critical parts to do Derek as you well know, looking forward to your next post

Regards

Trev

Kev the Modeller
#47 Posted : 26 May 2021 12:48:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is looking very interesting Derek and a great start from you to get the build moving. I'm sure this will be a fantastic model when completed and will be watching with interest.

Keep it coming. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#48 Posted : 27 May 2021 07:37:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Derek. Love Love already beginning to see the size this will be.Love Love

Mark
delboy271155
#49 Posted : 27 May 2021 18:40:18

Hi All, BigGrin

Firstly thanks for the comments and all who have taken the time to look in.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Now as Trev very correctly said in his comment above this is the first crucial stage where I start building the second half of the front fuselage.

I think I can say that there are several options open here to achieve the same end result, so I`m going to show my method with some explanations as to why I do what I do.

As stated previously I wanted the plans to be as flat as possible before starting the build and the reason is that if a plan is creased and you build on the creases you could end up with two supposed identical sections being very different.

Here`s my method:

I use the first built half section as a template for the second half to start with.

I pinned the longest keel section ( that`s what the instructions call it - I know its not a boat, sorry ship LOL ) to its opposite side. I then put some very thin sheet plastic between the nose sections. Applied balsa glue to the joint face of the short section and laid it in place. With both sections lined up with the original half I pinned the short sections together and let the glue set.

See pic 1 of this post.

Having made sure that the glue is fully set, I remove the pins and plastic sheet. I then lay the new parts of the second half on top of the first and without applying any pressure make sure they lay correctly on top of each other.

See pic 2 of this post.

Now as I have stated this will not be a flying model, so you may ask "why the need for such accuracy?". My thoughts are that especially with a model of this scale/size, you can be less than 0.5mm out at one end and by the time you get to the far end it could be 5mm out. Crying Crying In the end, even if the sides line up you could end up with a twisted fuselage and then its a bin job.

The next stage is to complete the second half of the forward fuselage. So until then stay safe and enjoy whatever you`re working on.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
10.jpg
11.jpg

tf64
#50 Posted : 27 May 2021 20:03:26

Hi Derek,

Your method sounds good, and all look's good with the build, that centre rib is spot on, well built Derek.

Regards

Trev

goddo
#51 Posted : 27 May 2021 21:15:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Derek,
Very nice clean work there.
Off to a great start. Look forward to following this build.
Chris
delboy271155
#52 Posted : 29 May 2021 15:06:33

Thanks Trev and Chris for your comments and all those who have looked in.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Just a small update before I continue with the left-side front fuselage.

I have glued and trimmed the right-side nose covering and I`m happy to report the fit was really good.

Two pics:

1st looking down on the nose covering

2nd Looking at the inside of same piece

As an adhesive I used "RC modellers canopy glue" by deluxe materials. It sticks plastic to plain wood and even painted and varnished wood. Its thick, flexible, high grip, dries clear and fills small gaps. Perfect.Love

Next update will be the completed left side front, so until then stay safe.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
12.jpg
13.jpg

tf64
#53 Posted : 29 May 2021 21:34:30

Glad to see the build is running ok for you Derek, I cannot open the last two picture's you have posted it maybe me, tried a refresh no luck. What I have seen are very clean and tidy, looking forward to seeing when the build takes shape, it is good to see a build like yours and follow it along not many like this on the forum.

Regards

Trev

Ps. yep got them had to wait a bit.

Markwarren
#54 Posted : 30 May 2021 09:23:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very tidy work, the fit is spot on.Love Love

Mark
goddo
#55 Posted : 30 May 2021 11:00:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

tf64 wrote:
Glad to see the build is running ok for you Derek, I cannot open the last two picture's you have posted it maybe me, tried a refresh no luck.

Hi Mark, have you got an apple mac? I have found that sometimes, when "refresh" doesn't work, I can right click the icon and select download option. You can then open the pic. Apologies if it sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs BigGrin BigGrin
Kev the Modeller
#56 Posted : 01 June 2021 18:34:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good Derek, all very neat and tidy, really looking forward to seeing more of this as it develops. Such an elegant jet, the Hawker Hunter, my dad used to work on the engines when he was in the RAF.

Keep up the good work. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Gandale
#57 Posted : 02 June 2021 08:13:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're making excellent progress Derek, all carefully done and looking spot on..... Following with a great deal of interest.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Sticky Wickett
#58 Posted : 03 June 2021 15:35:00

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just caught up with your build Del. It looks a great kit; detailed and well engineered too. Great work so far!Love

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
delboy271155
#59 Posted : 05 June 2021 17:38:42

Hi All, BigGrin BigGrin

Really appreciate all those who have taken the time to look in and the very nice comments. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

I have completed the second side of the forward fuselage (mirror of the first) and joined the said sides together. Also fitted the base section that would be the battery platform. Even though this is a display piece, this part will strengthen and align the coming construction.

The two nose cone sections did have a few ripples between then, so have used a small layer of "Plasto" to smooth things out and there is still a bit more smoothing required. (Good enough for now)

Next job is to start plating this section.

Until then, stay safe.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg

tigerace
#60 Posted : 05 June 2021 21:21:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Holy moly that is some kit Derek Drool Drool your off to a great startBigGrin

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!