Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Al's Routemaster bus Options
Spal
#1 Posted : 01 May 2020 17:31:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

When this first came out it was one of those do I or do I not get it builds. To start with it was 1/12 scale and i usually only build the 1/8 cars, so it was a no. However after seeing a couple of these taking shape I changed my mind and after having done a bit of a look on ebay and Hachette I decided that it was feasible to get a lot of the early issues and start subscribing from issue 56. After purchasing the first 16 issues for a bargain price of £50 inc p+p last August, the build began.
When complete, early next year, it should measure 699mm in length, 203mm wide and 365mm high and be a fair old weight. it will also have the usual lights and sounds and also comes with several passengers which I may or may not use.

These first five stages consist of parts for the cab, rear stairwell and front axle.

Al
Spal attached the following image(s):
1.JPG
2.JPG
2a.JPG
3.JPG
3a.JPG
4.JPG
4a.JPG
5.JPG
5a.JPG
Spal
#2 Posted : 01 May 2020 18:55:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issues 6-10

These issues contain parts to complete the front suspension and the front wheels.Each side of the suspension uses a spring which takes a bit of pressure to compress prior to getting it secure.Once the brake unit has been fitted the first of the wheels are constructed and fitted followed by the same on the other side.

Al
6.JPG
6a.JPG
7.JPG
7a.JPG
8.JPG
8a.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
Spal
#3 Posted : 02 May 2020 12:36:54

Issues 11-15

In these issues we start by tackling the steering and mounting the rods and linkages to the front suspension assembly. The steering is operable from the cab but it may be wise to only operate it with weight off the wheels using the 4 stands provided later in the build. The remaining issues deal with the rear suspension and linkages, cabling and rear axle.

Al
11.JPG
11a.JPG
12.JPG
12a.JPG
13.JPG
13a.JPG
14.JPG
14a.JPG
15.JPG
15a.JPG
Spal
#4 Posted : 02 May 2020 12:51:54

Issues 16-20

Its during these stages where you begin to realise how large and heavy the final product will be.We get the first of the main chassis frame and join the suspension components from the previous stage to it. Next the second of the chassis frames are added to the assembly. Then we make up the first pair of rear wheels which are then attached before starting the first wheel for the opposite side.

Al
16.JPG
16a.JPG
17.JPG
17a.JPG
18.JPG
18a.JPG
19.JPG
19a.JPG
19b.JPG
20.JPG
20a.JPG
Andreas
#5 Posted : 02 May 2020 16:35:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

Hi Al
I love this bus. I will definitely get it too.The scale doesn´t bother me. Ask me anyway why it is not offered. It's a cult vehicle that everyone in the world knows. In any case, I will follow your construction reportThumpUp
Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
mogwai
#6 Posted : 02 May 2020 20:49:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi going to be big lump when complete,look forward to following your build with this.cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
tf64
#7 Posted : 03 May 2020 16:00:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi AI,

Look's a good kit to enjoy building and I love the colour, looking forward to the next post.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Spal
#8 Posted : 03 May 2020 20:44:06

Thanks for looking in gents,it certainly is a big old busLOL

Al
Spal
#9 Posted : 03 May 2020 21:45:27

Issues 21-30

We start this by finishing the second set of rear wheels and putting the gearbox together and mounting it to the chassis.The next couple of stages cover the engine build which isn't too badly detailed considering hardly any of it will be seen.The forward frame rails are added in preparation of the front suspension and engine fitting. the radiator was then built and some more details added to the engine.

Al
21.JPG
21a.JPG
22.JPG
24.JPG
26.JPG
26a.JPG
27.JPG
28.JPG
29.JPG
roymattblack
#10 Posted : 04 May 2020 09:05:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Another great update.
This thing is going to be HUGE...!!!Love
CaptnBirdseye
#11 Posted : 04 May 2020 10:17:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin You know Al when I first saw this on Hachette’s website I thought a BUS???.
But you know what, it’s actually really cool ThumpUp The engine and chassis detail looks superb
Good luck with this, and can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Regards Gray
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 04 May 2020 11:52:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

As a thought - I wonder how many people who are building this, are repainting it in their local town colours...?BigGrin
Spal
#13 Posted : 04 May 2020 12:23:29

Thanks guysBigGrin Roy there are a few being done on the facebook groups in various colours but I think most are staying red, some people are even building 2 or 3 of these beastsLOL

Al
Spal
#14 Posted : 04 May 2020 12:46:18

Issues 31-35

In this issue we start by attaching the front axle assembly and adding the rear mudguards.The front nearside mudguard is then added and care taken to route the wiring from one of the lights down the chassis. Now the engine is mounted together with the driveshaft and also the radiator.The exhaust is fitted and the fuel tank and filling point added along with the remaining mudguard.You can also see in pic 5 the stand blocks in position under there respective plates on the chassis taking the weight. The final pic shows the underguard rails fitted to the frame.

Al
31.JPG
32.JPG
32a.JPG
32b.JPG
33.JPG
34.JPG
RM1
#15 Posted : 04 May 2020 13:01:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's looking good. Going to be a huge model !!
I didn't know that the Routemaster had a mid-chassis gearbox.
Malc.
Kev the Modeller
#16 Posted : 04 May 2020 13:18:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work Al looking very good and as has already been said, should build into an impressively large (and weighty) model. I remember there was a lot of discussion when this was first released, about the way that the bodywork is held together with zillions of unsightly and overscale screws that made it look a little like the old 'Meccano' style of vehicle? Do you intend to go down the standard route with those and use what is supplied, or will you be trying to do away with them?

An interesting build Tony, thanks for sharing. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 04 May 2020 13:27:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Al, that's going to be some size when completed.Love

Mark
birdaj2
#18 Posted : 04 May 2020 14:54:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That was on my original “do i/don’t i” list but never went with it because of having too many other things only the go.

I thought it a good choice of model to launch and it looks very nicely detailed as well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Spal
#19 Posted : 04 May 2020 22:15:44

Thanks guysBigGrin

Malc, I didn't know either BigGrin
Kev, at the moment people a lot further along from me are divided on this subject,some have altered how the finished roof will look as they didn't like the pattern of screws joining the sections,as a frame has been put on the outside of the bus we are hoping that there will be a minimum amount of screws on show once the side panels are fitted. Some people are happy to leave them as they are and some have filled the screw heads to make them look like rivets. I am thinking of leaving them as they are but painting the heads once fitted as there has been cases of the red screws being differing shades, apparently from a few feet away you don't notice the screw headsLOL

Tony,its not too bad a kit, its been let down with some dodgy on/off switches and flimsy wiring to battery boxes compounded by instructions telling you to plug /unplug wires from the circuit board. Luckily for me being around 25 issues behind the latest issue I have had no problems so far and been able to use other peoples experiences to make it an easier build.

Al
Spal
#20 Posted : 26 May 2020 21:09:13

Issues 36-40

Here we start to assemble the steering column and link rod to the front wheel assembly.The handbrake is fitted and also the pedals, the brake pedal is wired to operate the brake lights.Having fitted the dashboard there are two more switches to wire up,one for the lights and if memory serves one for the horn.The seat is then installed and then we start to assemble the cab itself.

Al
36.JPG
37.JPG
38.JPG
39.JPG
40.JPG
40a.JPG