Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<345
Tom's Easy Rider Build Options
tnequette
#81 Posted : 04 August 2020 00:55:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Summary:

For me this was just such a pleasure to pursue. It is a kit which can be just as hard and challenging as you want it to be. It is NOT a simple build and many work arounds are to be discovered. Mechanical knowledge is very helpful. Overall the quality is close to excellent. The chrome plating is durable and the best i have seen. There are fragile parts which may be left to the end to install. You will see that in my build entries. I was the demon of my own curses on this one, as the decision was made to go full bore for accuracy rather than bells and whistles. A lot of trial and error, rebuilds and searching for material sources. Most apparent is the color of the engine and transmission castings; they are NOT silver but cast iron. A good steel color worked best for me and dirty it up a bit for oil and grime.

Most things fit, some don't. Trust the pictures over the description of the step. Watch peg sizes, usually there is a large and small, very easy to screw up. The pictures show this, words don't mention it! Learn the difference between bolts and screws, coarse and fine thread. They strip easily. Use the little bags for spare parts and mark them per part. You will have a lot left over but that is good as they will probably be needed.

I was blessed with an Easy Rider replica to go see and photo. Many pictures are posted for reference. This replica was a bit different from the kit's source machine. There is no original left but there are some excellent replicas out there.

I had 450 hours of fun.
Markwarren
#82 Posted : 04 August 2020 09:02:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You’ve summed it up perfectly, and what an excellent build you have done. Patience is a virtue with this build and you’ve pulled it of beautifully. Very well done.Love Love Love

Mark
tnequette
#83 Posted : 31 August 2020 22:32:22

A small follow up on my Easy Rider. I managed to buy a FatBoy helmet out of Hong Kong thanks to MWB's help. Now it has to be painted and decorated and I believe Mark Warren did one.

Mark can you tell me what paints and colors you used. The photos look like the paint is an silver undercoat with a translucent top coat. Sort of candy color as on model cars.

How did you do your stars? Decals? And how many did you use. Hard to tell from the movie photos.

All in all, very happy, took a while, not cheap on the after market but it makes the project.

Tom
tnequette attached the following image(s):
IMG_2388.jpg
Markwarren
#84 Posted : 01 September 2020 18:47:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Tom

The colours were Aston Martin colours
Intense blue
Frozen white
Hyper red
Glass effect

A friend of mine used to work there and got the colours I needed after I gave him the fuel tank as a reference.

As for painting, first mask off the rim and inside and spray white. The stars were cut using a star cutter, you can get these from various stationary stores, and cut out on some decent masking tape. I then place around 17 of these over the top of the helmet and masked the bottom part off. Then apply the red paint to the top. Finally mask the top section off and make the stripes to the bottom and paint blue.

I finally sprayed the whole helmet with a sparkle effect varnish.

Sound easy, but it took many weeks to do and on one occasion had to start again when my spray gun took to a turn for the worse.

Good luck

Mark

tnequette
#85 Posted : 03 September 2020 21:07:37

Thanks Mark,

This looks like a big hill to climb. Will give it a shot and if it doesn't work, "Canary Yellow". LOL
tnequette
#86 Posted : 21 September 2020 02:04:01

The final postscript. The helmet is done. As Mark warned me, not an easy chore. Paint colors is the best i could do. matching his paint numbers for Aston Martin is not easy But with some understanding folks at a large auto parts store and internet Duplicolor info, we came out OK.

So, here is my true end effort.
ERFB15 copy.jpg
ERFB16.jpg
ERFB17.jpg
darbyvet
#87 Posted : 21 September 2020 03:50:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Superb result Tom.The helmet looks fantastic

Carl

roymattblack
#88 Posted : 21 September 2020 08:18:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

A superb result. If it weren't for the table setting it looks utterly real.
tnequette
#89 Posted : 21 September 2020 17:12:23

Thank you for for the kind comments. It was a challenge as well as a lot of fun.
mwb
#90 Posted : 21 September 2020 17:37:57

Fantastic job Tom. The helmet really makes it complete. Display it proudly.
Markwarren
#91 Posted : 21 September 2020 19:12:55

Well done that man.BigGrin Love That looks excellent, you must be very pleased with that.Love Love Love

Looks superb on the bike.Love

Mark
tnequette
#92 Posted : 22 September 2020 23:01:10

Thanks for all said. The helmet is the kiss, the iconic element of the movie, cycle and the age. I know.

And now ,for me, the whole image represents letting it all go, you handle things, l’m outtta here.

That helmet should be part of that kit. Thanks for all the help in finding it and finishing it to match and seal the deal.BigGrin BigGrin
birdaj2
#93 Posted : 22 September 2020 23:22:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tom

That looks fantastic.

I know you had a few challenges with the build but what a lovely looking model you have ended up with.

Its nice to put a face to the name as well.

My builds are all coming to an end (2 on the fat boy, 4 on the lambo) and i would love to do another bike model.

I am very tempted by this one i must admit.

Are you planning anything new Tom?

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tnequette
#94 Posted : 23 September 2020 23:31:55

Tony,

Lots of good pictures and information on the ER. Building the engine was the best for me. marks tips on filthy dirt was fun. It is NOT silver!

The helmet came out of Hong Kong based on a tip from Wyatt from Texas. Cost and postage was about equal and the paints were not in your normal kit. But when you spend a Grand for the bike what's another hundred. The Helmet is a must for this bike to give it a 1960's meaning.

What's next? Good question. My grandson is on my ass for my RVN helicopter, the CH-46D. Have started one at least 6 times but always had a block. Want do to it perfect which we both know is impossible. Have more than enough data and pictures. Want a full interior. So the Academy 1/48 CH-46D is under way but did not plan on making it a MS build. Maybe i should. Lots of interesting personal history here. The box art on the model depicts a machine I actually flew. Not very well however, as in Oct 68 , I was copilot to a major to was leading a strike mission of four. We were shot out of the zone and auto-rotated to a valley floor 1500 feet below. Pilot did a great job, all got out and picked up after a bit of 'conversation' with the other side. The 46 burned up.

Strange, have never said some of this before but it is a great helicopter, so we shall try.
IMG_2409.jpg
birdaj2
#95 Posted : 24 September 2020 21:53:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tom

Thanks for the update.

That kit looks like something a bit special and listening to your experiences there would have a real meaning for you.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach