Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
SMS Scharnhorst Options
budgie
#1 Posted : 17 May 2020 16:28:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin HI Folks
Having run into difficulties with my SMS Schleswig....area round props one side higher than the other etc
Tried rectifying but made a pigs ear out of it.
Quite disappointed as the rest of it I was happy with but...Crying Crying

Flapper Hey ho it kept me occupied during lockdown and I hopefully gained experience so nothing lostCool

Decided to try and find proper plans for it and start again but came across SMS Scharnhorst (not the WW2 one)

I got the plans in digital format and got them printed by an online print company.
Upload files to their site, choose how many you want, type of paper etc and I received them 2 days later.Drool

I cut out the body plan and took lots of photocopies

As this ship has a panzer deck and battery deck on the hull, the lines are a bit confusing for me to follow as some of the frame lines do not just run from keel to quarter deck and upper deck.

I outlined the lines I thought needed to cut, with a marker pen, glued them to 1.5mm card and cut them out.

I have cut where the gun decks are, rather than cover the hull and then cut them out like the gunport on Vic etc once planked

I now have a set of 1/2 templates, next thing is to make full templates for each frame.

Not sure I have done this stage correctly but it should become clearer as I progress and I can always redo the frame.

If anyone wants to play along with me as it would be interesting to see how others interpret the drawings to see if I am on the right track they can PM me and I can give them a copy of the files
Thanks for lookin'
budgie
#2 Posted : 17 May 2020 16:35:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

failed to upload picsConfused Confused Confused
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 17 May 2020 21:04:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Budgie!

Don't worry its not you!BigGrin
Admin has put up a notice about some problems that the IT are trying to fix, at the moment no one can post photos!Blink

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
budgie
#4 Posted : 19 May 2020 19:27:17

BigGrin Cheers Robin
Will try again
1/2 templates cut out.
This is the max width so they will need to be reduced by the planking thickness I decide to go with before making the full templates.

Not sure how that goes for frame 22 the one at the pointy end as it is tiny already
(Frames are numbered 1 at the stern working up to 22 at the bow)
budgie attached the following image(s):
hull plan.jpg
body plan.jpg
grid.jpg
template 1.jpg
template2.jpg
template3.jpg
template4.jpg
budgie
#5 Posted : 23 May 2020 11:19:32

BigGrin Mornin'

How much to reduce the frame by to compensate for the planking was decided by the minimum width of my compass used to draw round the frame. 3mm thats double planking with 1500micro card a bit off for sanding and a layer of craft card.
Sounds like a planCrying

I was thinking about ply or MDF but it will be too thick for the bottom of the frames at the pointy end so will lose the shape.

As my last attempt at trying to build a hull out of card ended up being very solid and surprisingly heavy (just misshaped at prop areaCursing but can be used as fuel for the log fireCool ) thats the way I will go.

I am using 2cm high card for the keel between fore and aft

I have not cut out the shape of the bow and stern bottoms as I will feel more confident that those parts are definitely touching the straight line on the build board.
Cheers
ps thats Strategic Command WW1 on the pc, can play with model while waiting for the AI to make up its mindLOL
frame reduct.jpg
keel1.jpg
Gandale
#6 Posted : 23 May 2020 14:39:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Look forward to seeing this one progress Budgie.... Good luck with the build....

Regards

Alan
budgie
#7 Posted : 24 May 2020 10:25:55

BigGrin Thanks for lookin' in Alan

Progress is a lot slower than my last attempt (so it should take longer for me to ******* it upFlapper ) as I have been taken off furlough for the past 3 weeks

I was making the templates as per guidance from what I found on the web

Body plan only gives 1/2 a frame
Make template for the 1/2 frames
Place on card draw round outline of the 1/2 frame flip it over and draw round frame

As there are body plan lines on one side only ,flipping it over on to the reverse side is blank

Is it lined up properly? Looks OK (don't get called Mr Magoo for nothing u knowFlapper )

Not even trusting my self to draw a straight line at the moment let alone curves and diagonals had to rethink this

Those frames will determine the shape of the hull so I need to feel confident that I have done this as accurate as I can

Cool Going to redo the templates by printing out as normal but at 97% to allow for thickness off planking then print off choosing mirror image
This will allow me to join the 2 1/2s up more accurately with reference lines on both sides

Sounds like a planLOL

Will get to a copier tomorrow and see how it goes
Thanks for lookin'
Plymouth57
#8 Posted : 24 May 2020 20:34:18

Hi there Budgie!

Coming together really well (again)! Is it paper-card you're using or styrene plasticard?, it looks so smooth and clean I can't tell!Cool
I used to enjoy Total War Empire and Napoleon in the same way until that flaming Steam bunch stopped allowing XP os on their site (the game box never said 'playable until some third party takes it away from you'!Cursing Now I've gone back to the old Total War Shogun in between sections of modelling (pre-ruddy steam!). Yea! Muskets rule (unless its raining then look out!)Crying
Best of luck with this beauty!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
budgie
#9 Posted : 25 May 2020 06:48:10

BigGrin Morning' Robin
I buy the card via Amazon
Search for A3 mountboard
It is strawboard with a smooth white surface on both sides there are various thicknesses but I opt for 1500micro (1.5mm) thick
With the white surface on both sides you only have the strawboard exposed at the edges which may require sealing.

Yep here we go again bleep it up and instead of rectifying move on to new subject.

I was going to buy the plans for the SMS Schleswig Holstien but my eye caught this one
(The plans are from a company that makes the fibreglass hulls of these models)
Thanks for lookin'

I enjoyed the Medieval War version but prefer the Strategic Command series (newer versions tho as the older versions the graphics are dated) even over PanzerKorp2.

budgie
#10 Posted : 25 May 2020 10:30:30

BigGrin Hi
as there are 23 frames 1 took 50 mirror copies to allow for errorsLOL LOL

Crying On hind site if I had taken my cutting ruler and scalpel with me I could have made 2 masters by joining the normal and mirror sides together first
Then photocopied them to give a full frame copy. Hey Ho

mirror.jpg
Gandale
#11 Posted : 26 May 2020 08:12:15

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is looking to be complex yet a lot of fun and looking good....steady as she goes.....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
budgie
#12 Posted : 27 May 2020 13:02:58

BigGrin Hi Folks
Been humming and hawing over these templates unable to commit to the best way forward especially as they also represent where the armour plating, panzerdeck, batterie deck etc go

Cool Copying the body plan and joining the mirror image to give a full template was a positive

Copying those templates at original size would be good, but realising I would add several mm to both sides with the planking not so good

Using a compass to reduce the sides and bottom of the templates and cutting them again not so good as this could in my hands mishape them causing the planking to not touch the edges or be too high plus I would need to at least Crying Crying double plankDrool Drool

Reducing the master on a copier would be cool but it also alters the height

Decided in order to move forward I have copied them at 99%
This reduces the template at the sides and top to bottom by 2mm

The planking I will be using is 1.5mm thick. So thats only a mm thicker but after sanding and adding the thin kraftcard should be acceptable.
The height can be corrected by adding a false deck at the waterline as in card models splitting the templates in 2 halves
The shape off the deck can be taken from the 1/2 breadth plan with again a mirror image

Flapper Sounds goodFlapper
99.jpg
budgie
#13 Posted : 27 May 2020 20:17:37

BigGrin Evening Folks
Had a slack day today so made the decision and stuck all the card templates to the mount board

Pic shows some of them

The yellow highlighter shows where I have to cut out the shape of the frames

Some of them are not completed all the way round as I am not yet clear as to which way to follow the lines above the quarter deck .
Depend if I plank the hull all the way up then cut out the "gun ports"

Will decide later when it hopefully becomes clearer on a dry fit of the frames

The orange line is where I will half the template with a false deck in-between
Thanks for lookin'
template1.jpg
birdaj2
#14 Posted : 27 May 2020 22:14:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks a very complicated but at the same time interesting project.

So those pictures you have do they represent all of the ships frames piled 1 on top of the other?

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
budgie
#15 Posted : 28 May 2020 05:38:12

BigGrin Morning Tony
Thanks for looking

Yes that’s the frames lying on top of each other

It does look complicated with all those lines and all the same colour

This is how I understand it

The Original body plan only shows half the frame

The horizontal base line along the bottom of the grid is your reference point for taking measurements

There are vertical grid lines numbered 5 to 0 to 5 and where the frame lines touches those lines you can measure with a ruler or divider and mark the spot on the opposite side of the grid.
Join the dots with french curves and you then have a full frame

The horizontal lines are the waterlines and deck lines the distance between each one can be different
Again you can take measurements from where the frame touches those lines by measuring to a vertical line

You could also just fold the paper in half and cut out the half frame open the paper up and you have a full frame

I feel that using the mirror image option is more accurate

That way I can blame the photocopier rather than my ability LOL LOL

I've probably made my interpretation of the body plan more confusingCrying but I have lots of spare copies I can highlight the lines etc to make it clearer
Need to go to work just now so can do it later if anyone is interested

birdaj2
#16 Posted : 28 May 2020 08:25:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stewart

Thanks for the update. I can see now what is going on.

I shall watch this one with interest as its looking to be an very nice and interesting way of putting a model together.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Sticky Wickett
#17 Posted : 28 May 2020 11:44:38

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Interesting build Budgie, especially when made from card! Will be following this.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
budgie
#18 Posted : 28 May 2020 17:21:50

BigGrin Hi Sticky
Thanks for lookin'
Should have sent my last attempt to you for repairsLOL
I see you did a great recovery on your u boatDrool

Some eye candy of a fibreglass model of SMS Scharnhorst

https://modelshipworld.c...by-borus279-1100/page/1/
budgie
#19 Posted : 31 May 2020 11:49:52

BigGrin Hi Folks
Finally got my finger out after a lot of humming and hawingCrying

copied sheer plan and used a fine mist of carpet spray to stick to the 1.5mm mountboard

I have left some superstructure outlines on at the moment thinking it will be easier to remove rather than add if required for moving forward
sheer2.jpg
sheer.jpg
budgie
#20 Posted : 31 May 2020 21:32:50

BigGrin Frames cut out ready for light sanding and cutting slot to fit to keel
frame.jpg