Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
SMS Scharnhorst Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 31 May 2020 22:20:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Am finding this build very interesting, looks like it will be a lot of fun putting together..... Nice progress Budgie, well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#22 Posted : 01 June 2020 09:25:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is looking really interesting.

So looking forward to seeing how this one develops as its such a technical build having to make every part yourself.

Its all looking good at the moment and wish you well with the next stages.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
budgie
#23 Posted : 02 June 2020 20:38:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Thanks for your interest gents, appreciated

Progress so far
Cut vertical slits in the frames and keel, they have a smooth to slack fit which I think is better than a tight fit as that may bend the keel

The frames have been inserted in their corresponding slots so I can start to see a clearer way forward

Double the thickness of all or just a few frames in order to give the "planking" something to stick to

Cut horizontal slits in the frames at 2 or 3 levels in which to insert false decks which in turn will help square everything up before gluing

False deck sizes can be taken from the half breadth plan
Aerial view looking down at the full hull, the lines showing the width of the hull at various depths
budgie attached the following image(s):
rib.jpg
rib1.jpg
rib2.jpg
rib4.jpg
birdaj2
#24 Posted : 02 June 2020 20:51:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thats taken on a nice shape now you have all the frames in place.

Will your covering (planking) Be card based?

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
budgie
#25 Posted : 03 June 2020 08:19:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

birdaj2 wrote:
Thats taken on a nice shape now you have all the frames in place.

Will your covering (planking) Be card based?

Tony

BigGrin Hi Tony

Yes I will be using the 1.5mm card (mountboard) to "plank"

I think it best to stick card to card using elastic bands to hold the strips in place especially at the curves.

Did think about wood but as it is stiffer than card pinning may be required

Pushing pins thru the card frames might not be a good idea they may split at edges

Downside to the mountboard will be when sanding...the white layer will be removed leaving a rough fluffy finish of the fibres
below.

Thinking about using the brown kraftcard to second plank to cover this as nice and thin and cheap

Also thinking about using very thin wood for 2nd planking but as it also will need sealed before painting it may be an unnecessary expense.
Thanks for lookin'
budgie
#26 Posted : 03 June 2020 11:21:08

BigGrin Morning Folks

Checking out the 1/2 breadth plan for making false decks for helping squaring off the frames etc

Hopefully by doing this it will save the monotonous task of putting spacers in between the frames to prevent the card from sagging

The plan shows the waterline and decks from an aerial view

If I want to put a deck in at point iv I cut that shape out and cut slits at the frame positions on the 1/2 breadth and "bulkheads" and just slide them in Cool

The plan also shows the shape around the "gunports" which is good as I was a bit concerned realising it was not a square hole
Thanks for lookin'
budgie attached the following image(s):
deck.jpg
number.jpg
number1.jpg
gun.jpg
budgie
#27 Posted : 26 June 2020 06:34:31

BigGrin Hi Folks
Not posted for a while but just to let u know I haven't given up AGAINFlapper Flapper

I dived straight in to cutting out the false decks to act as support for the frames and "planking"
7 1/2 decks each side

I cut out the slots where the frames were marked on the 1/2 breadth plan and tried to slide them in to the frames

Cursing Didn't fit Cursing

I had stupidly assumed that as the sheer plan and 1/2 breadth plan came on the same sheet that the distance between each frame would be the same

Comparing the plans there is a 4mm difference between frames 2 and 3 which have thrown the rest of my slots out

Which one to follow the sheer or 1/2 breadth planConfused

Cool After spitting my dummy out I am restarting the false decks taking measurements this timeLOL LOL
birdaj2
#28 Posted : 26 June 2020 10:24:09

Glad to hear you are keeping at it.

Nothing more disappointing than getting a stage nearly complete and it then reveals some issues.

But on a positive point that is something you will now be well versed in if you build another model like this.

Hope your corrections go really well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Sticky Wickett
#29 Posted : 26 June 2020 12:22:22

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Keep at it Budgie! It might be frustrating but the results will be worth it in the end.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
Plymouth57
#30 Posted : 26 June 2020 14:43:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You're doing a brilliant job Budgie despite the 'setbacks'!Cool I know what its like with things not lining up, when I was building my card Sopwith Pups I found that copies I scanned were not lining up exactly with the originals. I then discovered that the scanner for some obscure reason had a default copy setting of 97%! Once I realised that I had to set the thing manually to 100% on each separate scan it was fine.Blink( I've now upgraded to an Epson all in one scanner/printer and the copy function on that one is 100% as standard - much easier!)
I think with your decks, as long as the actual length of the deck fits with your bulkheads and keel I would ignore the frame slots and mark the decks to your own framework for the slots - seems like less work that way!Cool
Best of luck!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#31 Posted : 28 June 2020 00:04:10

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Model building.... such a rewarding hobby but can be the most frustrating too when something doesn't work out the way it should.... Keep at it Budgie, it will all be worth it in the end.... What you've done to date is looking good....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#32 Posted : 18 September 2021 10:42:17

Gandale wrote:
Model building.... such a rewarding hobby but can be the most frustrating too when something doesn't work out the way it should.... Keep at it Budgie, it will all be worth it in the end.... What you've done to date is looking good....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

BigGrin Will be keeping at it Alan

Not posted on this one for a wee while

Was getting embarrassed at my number of attempts to get it right to my satisfaction

I was not going to post until I had achieved the hull I wanted and pleased with

BUTFlapper

Watching a quiz show they wanted to know who quoted a phrase which seemed to fit ME and my attitude

The question being along the lines of who quoted

“Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm”

I thought it summed me up perfectly with my number of attempts

Failing but enjoying the journey

Reminded me of my Dad when I used to volunteer my service (free of charge by the wayLOL LOL ) to help out in the garden or house
Kind of hoping that I would get my next airfix model from Woolies at the weekend

Realising that the task was not as easy that he made it seem and getting disheartened he would mention this bloke called Percy V Rance

Took me a few years for that to sink inLove

Gandale
#33 Posted : 19 September 2021 12:50:37

Drool Drool Drool .. I think you have the right attitude, much like my own. There are many challenges, in life as well as modelling. Question is, do we just give up or do we soldier on and accept the challenges for what they are. You're like me, take it all in your stride and make the most of it. That way you will find the solutions you seek to overcome the challenges that have been set. You're doing a fab job, she's looking good and I look forward to seeing more of her as you progress.... Well done bud....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Kev the Modeller
#34 Posted : 20 September 2021 20:19:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Alan is right in what he says Stewart, better to rise to the challenge and harness that desire to succeed in order to conquer what is challenging you. It is easier to give in than it is to keep trying, but by eventually succeeding the feeling of satisfaction will be truly immense compared to the feeling of utter dejection if you just give up? Either way, when you look back on your modelling achievements in later years, you will remember this build for good or bad reasons, but if it was me, I'd rather look back and remember that I persevered and conquered and made myself a better modeller because of it?!

Keep going mate, nothing's impossible, you just need to find the solution that makes it possible! Smile ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra