Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages 123>»
Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8 Options
frah2o
#1 Posted : 20 May 2020 08:53:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

In the meantime I am finishing another 2 WRC delta, I started thinking about my next project.

I write a premise: my good friend model maker Riccardo tried to take me on the "right" way of the hystoric racing.
The idea would have been a LeMans (the 4H race in the 24) # 62 driven by Lennep with an NA engine and Martini livery ..... not to be confused with the Turbo # 46 always used by Lennep, always at LeMans, always Martini but at 24H race.
Beautiful cars, but that don't make “fall in love” like an mp4/4 or a Delta. If I continue to model my historical subjects it will be the F1, the WRC and some LeMans .... the rest I like custom or tuning like my Golf GTI

My inspiration starts from a Porsche seen live at Woerthersee 2013 .... an awesome USA 964: it is practically original, just very low (airride) and a rotiform rims.
The idea of my Porsche is based on this: a car with original shapes (practically a sleeper .... if a sleeper can be defined as a Porsche) "slammed" on the ground, 4 rims but with a turbo engine and therefore probably with the rear open bumper and with turbo clearly visible just like on the Lennep RSR in 24H Lemans

Now I’m studying the various engines between the various 935 of 76 and 79; there will be a lot to work and it will not be easy ... I don't even know if I will be able.

I have the first 21 double issues with the possibility of understanding how difficult it will be to move the cooling fan horizontally

The biggest problems will be:
-Exhaust manifolds
-Wastegate
-Turbo intake
-alternator
-Intercooler position

The rest will be the classic two-seater, internally emptied, rollcage and the usual mix of carbon, airride and bbs rims

We will see that “salade” will emerge from it.

Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
bfam4t6
#2 Posted : 20 May 2020 17:00:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ooooh, this is exciting! If it's anything like your Golf, this will be great. I almost wish I hadn't started my Porsche yet so that I could "borrow" ideas, as I'm sure your build will be full of them.

Looking forward to this!
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 20 May 2020 20:51:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

bfam4t6 wrote:
Ooooh, this is exciting! If it's anything like your Golf, this will be great. I almost wish I hadn't started my Porsche yet so that I could "borrow" ideas, as I'm sure your build will be full of them.

Looking forward to this!

Drool I’ll second that Love Love

Regards Gray
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 23 May 2020 09:45:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.Drool Drool

Congrats on your "Orange" medal for making 500+ posts.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

frah2o
#5 Posted : 08 March 2021 08:16:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

A couple of commissioned Delta are now almost completed ... I finally free from that it seemed a captivity; Now I can finally return to my own models.

I started working on the ride height, on future rims and Others.
And i start to convert this naturally aspirated flat six into a turbo.

I tryed the future RC rims which are slightly larger in diameter than the original Fuchs and which fit quite well on the original golf gti tires.

I started by assembling the chassis, transmission, suspension unit to work on the set-up.
The original height is very high for me.
I have identified where i can made changes and adjust to drop it go.

The rim is a wider and to fit the tire I belted it with a strip of styrene to stretch and to achieve the same width as the rim.

frah2o
#6 Posted : 08 March 2021 08:17:58

The original height for me is very embarrassing

At the rear, to lower it, I removed a pin that is a stopper on the joint where the swinging arm is fixed.

I removed that and shortened the spring by 9mm and used a spacer to raise the end of the shock absorber.

frah2o
#7 Posted : 08 March 2021 08:31:24

On the front, however, I have to work more harder.
The front arms touch the frame with a extremely dropping chassis.
Other problems are that the steering arms work as a contrast spring and the front fenders did not allow the housing of the tire with this drastically drop.

In addition to thinning the front arms, another interference is caused by a reinforcement rod on the front arm itself .... and I started creating the notch on the frame.

frah2o
#8 Posted : 08 March 2021 08:33:17

At this point is already much better ... but with the front I am still not very satisfied.

frah2o
#9 Posted : 09 March 2021 08:30:51

Other interferences to drop front are the internal fenders and the vertical rising of the shock absorbers ... the head of the absorber hit the inner of front trunk.

I started to file but it was not enough, I replaced the screws with washers with screws from Delta kit but still not enough.

I cut the part of the fender that hit the wheel

frah2o
#10 Posted : 09 March 2021 08:37:01

I modified the housing of the steering box by raising it to make the arms work better and without having the effect of a spring on wheel hubs.

Furthermore, to remedy the problem of too high front shock absorbers, I drilled the stems deeper to have more space for the screw and finally I shortened them by 4mm.

Now I reached the result what I was looking for

frah2o
#11 Posted : 09 March 2021 08:41:57

Once I found my right set up, I arrived at the first "point of no return".

Using the image of his sister RSR, I removed the trunk strut of the bodywork and chassis ... with the rear outside turbo they will no longer be needed.

roymattblack
#12 Posted : 09 March 2021 09:48:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

This sounds as if it's going to be a very interesting build...
Looking forward to the updates.BigGrin
Kev the Modeller
#13 Posted : 09 March 2021 21:25:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello Francesco,

I don't know if it's me but I can't see any of your pictures, just the text? I don't have any problem on other parts of the forum so I'm guessing it's a problem with your uploads?

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
frah2o
#14 Posted : 10 March 2021 09:42:38

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Hello Francesco,

I don't know if it's me but I can't see any of your pictures, just the text? I don't have any problem on other parts of the forum so I'm guessing it's a problem with your uploads?

Kev.

I kev, use the img and /img with the insert of link of my italian forum.

I saw that there's is no problem to watch pictures,buti saw that the problem is with chrome.

roymattblack
#15 Posted : 10 March 2021 09:50:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I'm using Chrome too - no pictures or links showing.Crying
frah2o
#16 Posted : 10 March 2021 11:57:41

roymattblack wrote:
I'm using Chrome too - no pictures or links showing.Crying

Ok Roy, now i correct the problem and i use tapatalk link. I'll make now, than can you gently tell my if you watch?

Thanks

frah2o
#17 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:09:48

I modify all the pic i think now they're visible. Blushing

frah2o
#18 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:23:11

I continue the opening of the engine compartment in the crossbar area; I start thinking about the turbo, exhausts and intercooler group.
I installed the engine to calculate the next works.

frah2o
#19 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:25:52

The turbo will be positioned in the zone like on its sister RSR.
i started with the mutual help with Eidai parts.
In the RSR the engine frame is not complete as on the RS, the engine frame towards the opening of the engine hood are not present and the engine is fixed with the aid of a trapezoidal frame directly connected to the frame side members.

This frame as well as being a fixing point for the engine also has the function of supporting the turbo.

My idea is to replicate this frame using the Eidai one as the dimension and matrix as it fits perfectly onto the DeA chassis.

frah2o
#20 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:29:49

Each kit has its flaws and this is part of this "game"... but what makes me smile / angry is the extreme difference in the detail of the monoblock.

The lower monoblocks in comparison are always the Eidai and the Dea.

In the RSR the fins of the cylinders and the 6 connections of the exhaust manifold have been reproduced, in addition the 4 barrels (I think they cover the studs that fix the heads) are removable and there is a little details of nuts and bolts.
The gearbox has greater detail and is much more realistic than the Dea gearbox too.

[B] The eidai is almost 50 years old .... the porsche Dea is maybe 3. [/ B]

The heads and cylinders of the DEA cannot be looked at. This RS was created to mount the original exhaust equipped with 2 side silencers and the central one.
By turning it into a turbo all this exhaust will remain in the box.

The big problem is that Dea (in addition to having made a very coarse monoblock) has planted pegs and made some screw holes in correspondence with the future connections of the 6 exhaust ports.

So I rest my heart in peace and I started sawing and filing to smooth out the first of the 2 banks.

My idea is to try to reconstruct the fins (or at least part of it) with plasticard and to build the exhaust ports from which the 6 manifolds will start, which will then converge to the turbo ... as the image and likeness of the RSR