Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<891011>
Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8 Options
frah2o
#181 Posted : 26 February 2024 10:46:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Having redesigned the intercooler and plenum assembly, I also revised the duct.

I tried to give a dynamic sense to air flows. Having reduced the surface of the grill on the bonnet due to the presence of the air scope, I reduced the volume of air inlet for cooling my flat six.

I redesigned the new IC conveyor giving it a new, more harmonious shape and I designed it with a double function: air intake for the intercooler and two lateral pods to bring cooling air to the upper part of the engine (the intercooler unit photographed in the photo from below is empty but will be closed)

I calculated the dimensions with the body mounted to be able to remove it and leave the IC itself visible there... and finally I personalized it with the logo of my overall F1 driver.

Once everything was printed and verified, I redesigned the sleeves and the pipe connecting the turbo to the intercooler.

Latest mod: the reinforcement plates of the engine-turbo support bar. As well as giving a sense of reinforcement, they also hide the inevitable gaps in the chassis experienced by the change from naturally aspirated to turbo.

Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
roymattblack
#182 Posted : 26 February 2024 12:15:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Another fantastic update.
Keep it coming.Love
frah2o
#183 Posted : 27 February 2024 09:40:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

roymattblack wrote:
Another fantastic update.
Keep it coming.Love

Many many Thanks Roy!

With paints, washing and pigments I completed the intercooler, sleeves, various flange tubes and the intercooler conveyor.

I then started the carbon work on the door cards and CDA box.
I wait 48 hours for the decals to rest and then I seal with clear coat.

I then finished painting and highlighting the internal filter element of the CDA.

I started work on the center lock for front rims only (there will be turbofans at the rear). To make my life easier, I designed the centerlocks so that they are fixed with slight interference on the head of the Allen keys in order to camouflage them.

frah2o
#184 Posted : 27 February 2024 09:42:06

A few photos with a less messy background than usual.

frah2o
#185 Posted : 04 March 2024 08:58:02

Before start with the final painting of the body, I continue with the some details.

I started filling the hole for the antenna housing on the mudguard and the various holes at the base of the front pillars where the switches for the courtesy lights would be housed.

I then worked on the quick hooks for the bonnets.

I have decided that both the rear and the front will be a single hook. At the rear only on the left side as there is no space on the right side due to the intake system and on the front instead of the two lateral ones only a central mono.
I like it in the middle and it makes the line less heavy....while I'm posting I've already revised the dimensions of the front by tapering the bracket on the bumper and shortening the hook itself.

I have made the hooks functional, the appropriate pin and bolts will follow.

Markwarren
#186 Posted : 04 March 2024 10:03:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent build, it is just mind boggling where you are taking this. Well done.Love Love
frah2o
#187 Posted : 11 March 2024 09:53:01

Markwarren wrote:
Excellent build, it is just mind boggling where you are taking this. Well done.Love Love

Thanks Mark Blushing

frah2o
#188 Posted : 11 March 2024 09:57:27

I've reached one of my favorite stage of the project: the new body color.

After weeks of preparing the body parts, checking all the missing parts and the mod made, I'm ready for painting.

I wanted to do an experiment with a new base which is a white filler primer and the experiment seems to have worked well.

I primered everything and then started with the first part of the pieces which I would say turned out decent

Once painted (in a fairly dehumidified environment and with a temperature of 27-28 degrees) I left them to dry.

frah2o
#189 Posted : 11 March 2024 10:03:24

I then continued with the fuel bonnet and front bumper with the same procedure, while for the body I continued the work in 2 steps.

First I painted the inside, all the various recesses, edges and wheel arches.

Then (with the help of a swivel stool) I finished the exterior paint job.

I wait 48 hours, then I will matt it with a 1000 grit water abrasive pad and then give the final clear gloss.

frah2o
#190 Posted : 25 March 2024 10:50:04

I started to strip all chromed parts: from the glass an window frames, to the front and rear light inside reflector..

It is one of the most difficult chrome platings to remove that I remember with models , I have already changed 2 types of bleach to arrive after 10 days at almost halfway through the work. I hope to finish with bleach so I don't have to switch to sodium hydroxide.

Once I had the carbon sealed on the door trims, I moved on to flocking the tops of both the front and rear panels.

frah2o
#191 Posted : 25 March 2024 10:53:03

After sanding all body parts with a 3M 1000 grit water sponge, I applied 2 layers of glossy clear coat.

I'm quite satisfied with the result, there will be some polishing to do, but overall it seems like a decent job.

I then started my usual work with vinavil glue and single layer of tissue paper to imitate fiberglass on the internal part of the paneling, panels and bosy parts.

The internal side where there is this rough layer which simulates the texture of fiberglass will be painted in semi-matt black.

roymattblack
#192 Posted : 25 March 2024 13:41:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Another amazing update here.
Keep it coming...Love
goddo
#193 Posted : 25 March 2024 14:05:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Beautiful paint job there, Francesco.
Well done.
Chris
frah2o
#194 Posted : 17 April 2024 10:46:44

roymattblack wrote:
Another amazing update here.
Keep it coming...Love

goddo wrote:
Beautiful paint job there, Francesco.
Well done.
Chris

Many many thanks mates!

Once the paper fiber texture of the paneling had dried, I continued with the painting job.
I made the contours with a 0.7 ultra-fine tip uniposca pencil; I painted The inner surface with semi-gloss black.

Again with the uniposca pencil I redid the surface where the grille will be fixed on the rear bonnet.

While everything was drying and the bleach finished its work on the chrome, I worked on the chrome frames placed on the rear window and windscreen seals: here the operation was much quicker and simpler to remove the chrome.
Cotton swab soaked in alcohol and stripping was quick and easy.

In order not to miss out on training with fusion, I finished a project that I had in mind for some time: Console with switch mappings.

3 maps: road, race and kill (used for drag race)
There are rumors that the race is enough to burn Ferraris and Lambos LOL . The Kill is never used.

frah2o
#195 Posted : 17 April 2024 10:49:54

Once I finished the chrome stripping the, I worked won another mod that I have always adopted on all my 1:1 cars too.

The conversion from halogen headlight to bi-xenon.

I designed the bixenon bulb by calculating the circumference for the future lens.

After a base coat I then painted all the frames in matt black and the light reflectors in aluminium. The original chrome made the headlights too "Lexus style" in my opinion.

I was afraid that when I painted the external handles black the Porsche engraving would disappear: by going slowly and with light coats it remained visible.

frah2o
#196 Posted : 17 April 2024 10:52:24

With all parts now ready, I was finally able to assemble the doors.

I added the new knobs to the window handles and finished the work on the straps for the internal handle and the internal door opening.

I then painted the latch of the external handle lock with Molotov chrome and finally everything fell into place.

Markwarren
#197 Posted : 17 April 2024 22:56:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Just on a different level, excellent work.Love Love

Mark
frah2o
#198 Posted : 18 April 2024 09:51:07

Markwarren wrote:
Just on a different level, excellent work.Love Love

Mark

Many Thanks Mark!

Another change that I was waiting to made: the darkening of the front/rear lights and indicator.
The original chrome was dulled by a coat of aluminium, but the color of the lenses was still too bright.
This is also a modification borrowed from my 1:1 cars and which is very early 90s tuning.

I apply Smoked adhesive wrap and than hairdryer and both the front and rear light received a new look that suits my project perfectly.

I Placed the 2 front lights with the new black headlight : everything is taking a nice aggressive look.

frah2o
#199 Posted : 18 April 2024 09:56:24

Once the xenon bulbs were printed I thought about how to create the lens of the xenon.
I could have printed it with transparent resin... but buying 0.5 liters of resin for two these micro parts seemed excessive to me.

The Lego bucket presented me with the solution.

I made the lens and sanded it with 1000 and 2000 grit and water and then I polished it.
The internal part of the bulbs were chromed with Molotov pencil, finally I mounted my 4300k xenon in the headlights of this 911.

I finished the fenders by making the hood seals and assembling the full headlight assembly.

Painted kill switch console, panel line to highlight the various maps and knob in its place.

frah2o
#200 Posted : 18 April 2024 10:00:01

And now I move on to the most beautiful but also the most dangerous part: the risk of ruining and scratching something is always high.

I worked on the body by reproducing the door seals and painting the internal contour of the pillars and roof zones to have a good result with the assembly of the pavilion which was also flocked.

I also partially have the same flocking on the rear firewall, everything painted in the same color would have been a little too heavy look.

Mounting the "turbo sills" and also the taillights.