Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages <1234>»
Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8 Options
frah2o
#21 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:36:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

The cylindes group is also smoothed.

But before starting to think about the exhaust manifolds, I must first put together the engine in its total size.

The upper part does not distinguish between the head, fan cowling, fuel system… it looks like the whole cooling cowling but in reality it is not.

The Porsche engine is framed on the front… ..that does not exist on the front of the RSR… well, I started by eliminating it here too.
But by removing it, all the crack remains due to the absence of the front frame piece.

I removed what I needed and started working to close this gap.

Another problem: the timing covers. The carters have an external rib which in 1: 1 are used to fix the front part of the frame that is no longer there.

The right timing cover has the correct rib or eyelid and at the right height.
On the left instead:
- no right height (remains too low compared to the upper half colored in silver)
- no rib

I acted like this:

- I raised the timing cover by calculating the missing thickness and placing it at the same level as the upper part.
- I took out the wrong rib
- I filled the loop for the screw
- I recreated the most protruding rib

Finally assembled everything to see the overall effect ... .. the screws on the casings will disappear ... but for the moment I need to keep everything squared

Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
frah2o
#22 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:39:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Viewing the 2.7 engine pics online, the Dea engine brings to light other inconsistencies and mistakes.

The top of the timing cover has ribs found on other flat sixes… but not on this 2.7

With the dremel I smoothed out the ribs and reduced the height of the upper timing cover bolts

I continued and I think finished the operation of opening the engine compartment, eliminating the last crossbars.

I also cut by eliminating the original engine mounts, as on the RSR the engine is supported by that trapezoidal frame mentioned above.

I repositioned the engine: the Eidai frame has a correct wheelbase and if my Porsche had been high from the factory even in depth I think it would have been fine.
Having lowered the entire car body by 14 mm if I replicated it on an equal footing, I would have an inadequate ground clearance and the turbo downpipe would be scrap on the ground.

frah2o
#23 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:44:20

My good model friend of Riccardo always tells me: "the man who makes models with legos"
LOL

Replicating the slightly V-shaped central bracket that follows the physiognomy of the monobloc is possible to scratch but it is a long job.
My Danish friends served me the solution (as usual) on a silver plate.

I Take 2 bricks, created the loop for the central frame and created the loops for the other lateral ones.
This frame will become load-bearing for both the engine and the turbo. To center it at the "v" of the base, the perfect position falls on the side of the side chassis struts.

I will open a slot in order to drop from the top and set the frame which will then be fixed to the monobloc by means of 4 studs (as on the real RSR)

On the central plate we will then have to think about how to fix the Turbo and the heat shield.
A lot of work to do, but i'm think on the right way.

frah2o
#24 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:45:49

Thank to Roy and Kev for advice of pics. BigGrin

I changed the linked and added the last works. Now i think is visible.

Sorry for my bad english and i hope you also enjoy with pics. Blushing

frah2o
#25 Posted : 11 March 2021 10:36:22

I started with the main part of this conversion: the turbo.

Making me the turbos by myself was and is a difficult to made and also impossible for me.

So for the 0.70 cent I took a keychain with a compressor (or cold side of turbo unit) attached.
Given the generous dimensions, the problem was the exhaust side turbo (or hot side) which also on the RSR is slightly smaller in diameter. Having various pieces of the mp4/4 .... I borrowed an IHI compressor (which will then be modified in the connection for the downpipe to the exhausts and will be modified for the exhaust outlet)

In the middle I have the hub on which the various lubrication pipes will then be applied.

I drilled the hub, I disassembled the compressor and drilled and and then I modified the turbo of the mp4 to insert a 2.5 m nut

Starting from the compressor to get up to the turbo, there is a 16mm Allen key that crosses the whole body and screws onto the turbo itself .... practically in reality it would be the shaft, in the model it is the hub that holds everything together the whole turbo compressor unit .

Once the turbo is paired and created, it's time to fix it to the crossbar.

I created the bracket that supports the turbo with 1mm aluminum. I pierced the "breech" of the turbo, fixed the bracket and finally I bent it in a U shape to go and slip back into the usual turbo screw-shaft.

Once shaped, I then fixed it to the crossbar using 2 Allen screws. Given the weight and size, the glue was absolutely not practicable, furthermore making everything removable is easier for modifications, coloring and tests with the exhausts.

frah2o
#26 Posted : 11 March 2021 10:38:54

I have the turbo. BigGrin

And now begins an unknown work: Make the exhaust syestem from scratch. I will fix the frame solidly to the engine and then I will start with the exhaust and the westgate unit

Gandale
#27 Posted : 11 March 2021 16:19:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work, a real pleasure to see.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
frah2o
#28 Posted : 13 March 2021 09:29:02

Now begins the most difficult part and unknown to me: the build of the exhaust .... and I'll see if I will be able to do it.

In order to start building it, I have to fix the start and end points, that is the 6 manifolds that start from the exhaust ports and the turbo downpipe.

I finished the consolidation work of the RSR frame to the engine block by creating three holes for fixing with m2.5 bolts. The one under the central passing through with nut, the two upper ones threaded.

Another missing element is the heat shield of the turbo .... element always borrowed from the RSR. With a 1mm aluminum sheet I built and shaped the heat shield

Finally I did all the fixing tests to verify the absence of movements in order to have the references of the future exhaust in the correct position.

frah2o
#29 Posted : 13 March 2021 09:32:00

Once the group of turbo/frame was joined together, I started the work on the cylinder.

I calculated the point to drill and create the exhaust port.
I will need the six holes to insert 6 raised allen screw.
The head of the Allen screw is of the same diameter as the future pipe for the manifolds, the Allen screws therefore act as a connection for the manifolds.

With an old bit and hammer I made the graves to have the correct centering for drilling ... .. starting from 0.8 and up to 2.5.

With a plastic rod I created 3mm thicknesses to raise the Allen screw screwed into the internal part of the monobloc.

Finally, I placed the first 6 sectors of my exhaust system.

I decided to make it as with the 2T expansions or even the handmade exhausts and then to make the various sectors with the plasticard rod.

We'll see if I can do it.

frah2o
#30 Posted : 15 March 2021 21:28:34

I’m trying my first scratch build of the exhaust system.
Between the distance, the overhanging turbo and that the system will have to be dismantled and flanged, it will be a hard work

I approached the work imitating the build technique of handmade exhausts and 2T expansions . I worked with portions of cones with various inclinations

To have a central template I used the usual lego. The bricks that I used have the curved side which has the same diameter as the styrene tube I am using.
Once the 3 first single manifold have been done, I have linked them in 3 in 1.

Everything is still in the initial phase, now I will build the other engineside and finally the last section that will go from the 2 manifolds to the turbo

I was able to find on the net the spare parts catalog of both the Carrera and the Turbo ... which will give me a hand in the future for missing details.

Markwarren
#31 Posted : 16 March 2021 09:56:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent scratch building, look good.Love Love

Mark
frah2o
#32 Posted : 17 March 2021 08:30:10

I have finished the second manifold, they are intentionally inclined and tending towards the right to direct them towards the turbo on the exhaust side.

I tried to stagger them to follow the misalignment of the cylinders itself

Now I study a coupling flange and then I will work on the last piece and on the 2 pipes that will be used for the lateral wastgate (like RSR)

roymattblack
#33 Posted : 17 March 2021 10:32:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

This is becoming a really interesting and different build. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.BigGrin
frah2o
#34 Posted : 19 March 2021 08:53:54

My exhaust .... for now affectionately nicknamed "Geberit" is finished in its basic shape.

It is not fixed to the turbo's flange because I still have to work it.

In addition, I leave the two collectors separable so that they can be roughed, finished and worked.

The 2 red arrows indicate the future fixing point of the side wastegate ... which will be the next job.

It is my first exhaust made from nothing ... I faced a job that I was not at all sure of even getting to 1/3.

In my small way, I am satisfied that I built it myself ... then there is still a lot to do, but the basis is there.

delboy271155
#35 Posted : 20 March 2021 17:31:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Very nice work to date.

Cool Cool Cool

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

bfam4t6
#36 Posted : 21 March 2021 14:43:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Great start! Really smart idea for making the custom exhaust. Looking forward to seeing more.
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

Markwarren
#37 Posted : 21 March 2021 14:57:17

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Some amazing work going into this. Love Love

Mark
Gandale
#38 Posted : 03 April 2021 22:23:21

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Congratulations for being recognised for the Build of the Month award.... Very well deserved, excellent work throughout....Drool Drool

https://forum.model-spac...amp;m=339203#post339203

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#39 Posted : 04 April 2021 11:21:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

It's looking amazing.
Keep up the posts. They are great to follow.BigGrin
RM1
#40 Posted : 06 April 2021 07:15:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some amazing work going into this one. That scratch built exhaust piping is brilliant !! Very well deserved build of the month . Congrats..
Malc.