Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <12345>»
Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8 Options
frah2o
#41 Posted : 14 August 2023 15:46:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Many thanks to all. I re started the work on this model after pass a big trouble in my house

I started with fabulous 3d world

With fusion 360 i made the tyres

I also made turbofans creating the seats that will be positioned on the pressed bolts of the rim

Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
frah2o
#42 Posted : 14 August 2023 15:49:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

First turbo fan printed

frah2o
#43 Posted : 14 August 2023 15:52:41

In the meantime of printing the tires I threated the hubs to switch from an M2.4 cross screw to an M3 allen bolt

I get up at 6 in the morning and find the rear finished
Yesterday evening at 11pm I had finished and edited the first front one

Today I look to finish the other 2 and the second turbofan and hope to see her standing on her new wheels

Rear tyre

Front tyre fitted on rim

delboy271155
#44 Posted : 14 August 2023 16:03:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to see that you have managed to get back to this build and they are some impressive 3D upgrades. WTG

Looking forward to what`s to come.Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

frah2o
#45 Posted : 16 August 2023 08:59:15

delboy271155 wrote:
Good to see that you have managed to get back to this build and they are some impressive 3D upgrades. WTG

Looking forward to what`s to come.Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Many thanks Derek, the difficulties seem to have passed and I can go back to enjoying this Porsche

frah2o
#46 Posted : 16 August 2023 09:13:05

in this long week I went ahead to finish the setting for ride height and wheels clearence with fenders

After shortening, re-drilling and re-threading the shock absorber , I printed the upper SWAB. I slotted the fitting point of absorber on the strut in order to have some camber.

Using other rims, the brake discs of the kit (quite ugly) have been replaced by discs also designed by me.

frah2o
#47 Posted : 16 August 2023 09:19:51

After all first part were printed, I then assembled the undertray-chassis, checking that the clearence and heights .....ad now all match and is symmetrical.

frah2o
#48 Posted : 16 August 2023 09:23:36

The final check with bosy

Clearence and height are fine, I'll only have to work on the rear inner mudguard due to the drop and wider tyres

Markwarren
#49 Posted : 16 August 2023 10:13:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very impressive stuff.Love Love

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#50 Posted : 16 August 2023 22:08:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Yes indeed, a master modeller at work!! Looking good. ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
frah2o
#51 Posted : 17 August 2023 09:41:31

Markwarren wrote:
Very impressive stuff.Love Love

Mark

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Yes indeed, a master modeller at work!! Looking good. ThumpUp

Kev

Blushing Blushing many thanks

frah2o
#52 Posted : 17 August 2023 09:57:43

Having finished the set-up work, I can now concentrate and work on the engine.

The original athmospherical engine is quite poor and in details,
for my Turbo version I know that it would have been a difficult challenge.....very difficult, at least until the discovery of 3D which gives a holy hand for ideas.

Mixing the '74 RSR and some versions of the 935 imsa and other categories I started with the intercooler.

To stay within the dimensions allowed by the engine bay, I borrowed a solution seen on a 935: Intercooler with integrated plenum.

On my IC I didn't draw any radiator textures as it will be covered by the induct cowling.

Cowling that has two ducts that will connect to future Naca intake that will be fixed on the rear deflectors that is an RSR solution (I don't remember if it was Ver.A or Ver.B)

frah2o
#53 Posted : 17 August 2023 10:01:06

I then printed the base of the intercooler and the flanges for the manifolds.

Printing the full ic was risky due to the weight and detachment from the printing plate. I preferred to empty it and print the bottom separately. I then printed the flanges apart.

Once the ic was closed, with a point of glue I imprinted everything on the flanges positioned on the collectors.

Once positioned, another problem appeared: the ic cowling touches the crossbar of the engine hood hinges.

With dremel and file I eliminated part of the rib to create the necessary space.

frah2o
#54 Posted : 17 August 2023 11:53:11

Once the IC is in its correct position I had to work on the connection between the ic itself and the turbo. the inclination is good but I have a misalignment of 5mm

I created a curve and the various connecting hose.

Still taking the RSR as an example, I then printed wastegate, wastegate exhaust pipe, turbo exhaust

Dry mounted everything.....and everything seems to come back...apart from the Wastegate which I will have to shorten as it bangs on the left side chassis strut and move the wastegate exhaust connection which touches the turbo exhaust

Other than that the intake system is complete

frah2o
#55 Posted : 22 August 2023 11:02:43

I started thinking about the ignition and injection system and I studied the various kits that transform the 911 from mechanical J-Tronic into electronic injection, finding kits on the net that make the 2 pairs of manifolds/throttle bodies independent, effectively eliminating the connection between the 2 sides.
the couple of 3 throttles will be controlled by actuators.

I then studied the various sensors (the lambda is missing in the diagram, which I will do and will be placed on one of the 6 manifolds)

For the ignition, I thought of a kit that eliminates the distributor in favor of an ignition control unit that will manage the 6 individual coils directly on the spark plugs (Audi R8 type)

In the meantime that I write, I have already drawn the various ecu, coils and injector rails

While I was starting to design the various sensors and especially the oil pressure and temperature bulbs, I realized that I had to work on the structure of the cranckcase and precisely in the area below the fan.

Imitating a friend with his beautiful 1/8 Porsche Targa Florio, I designed and printed the rib-structure underneath the fan.

I will then proceed to arrange the lateral areas of the fan by rebuilding both part of the cranckcase and the engine shroud which is only aped on the engine reproduced by DeA.

frah2o
#56 Posted : 25 August 2023 09:18:47

I continued with this flat six and i found another missing.

I started to redo the fan conveyor (in particular the side wings) and I naively believe that my struct under the fan it needs to be redone…..my mistake.
This struct is also an integral part of the connections for the hydraulic oil circuit.

In the first photo on both sides of the engine block and under the fan (circled in red) you can see the hydraulic connections that lubricate the cam shafts; always from this pipe branch off another two small tubes which lubricate the tensioners of the timing chain (circled in green)... and it doesn't end there.

Always on the right side, in the second photo you can also see the presence of the 2-way VDO oil pressure bulb .... this too needs to be replicated. (circled in green and with arrow)

I will redesign this struct including the missing hydraulic block on the right side.....but to do it again I must first do the side wings of the conveyor (actually already done and which I will post later)
Once the doubt of the "standard" hydraulic system was cleared up, I went into the lubrication of the turbo core assy, ​​then from the standard flat six I moved on to looking for the RSR 2.2

And here the difficulties for the poor of references pics..

In the third photo taken from below (thanks to the conservative restoration by Maxton) is possible to clearly see the turbo oil return pipe which connects from the core to the left distribution cover (red line)

Another story is instead the delivery tube, where among various photos you have to go by intuition. First of all I thought that the delivery was in the block where there is the oil pressure bulb on the fan side.

In the fourth photo you can see the start of the delivery pipe above the core assy (circled in green)

Reasoning on the few photos on the net, you can see in the photo that the delivery pipe comes from the area above the monoblock where there is a temperature sensor (fifth photo and pipe path highlighted with a green line)

In the diagram you can see circled in yellow where the turbo lubrication delivery pipe is probably connected .... I say probably because I have not yet found a photo that assures me of my theory
Icons attached

frah2o
#57 Posted : 25 August 2023 09:22:55

So after all this, I started the first part of the integration reconstruction of the shroud.

I started from here to have the correct dimensions for the hydraulic connection.... I have already understood this engine that it will be "fun" like the delta hachette

Before starting the right wing on the shroud, I plugged the holes on the monoblock that eliminate the pipes that act as a heat exchanger with the sole exhausts of the road RS. to close them, tape, veil of bicarbonate, cyan, more bicarbonate. Removed tape, sanded.

Then with styrene I started the first of the 2 wings and added a strip of plasticard to simulate the correct shape of the conveyor .... which Dea badly truncated by not giving a gap between the conveyor and heads.

frah2o
#58 Posted : 25 August 2023 09:32:34

I continue with the modification of the conveyor and as I go forward I understand that there is still a lot to do and modify.

Once the other wing on the left bank was finished, I covered the site of the ex mechanical injection pump.

Looking at the various references, the conveyor has a duct that brings air to the oil cooler (red circle) .... completely missing from this one of the DeA. Furthermore, the thermostat flange with the coupling of the oil vapor recovery pipe molded with the cover is not properly correct.

I had created the loop for the future oil temperature bulb...but I will cut everything and reprint part of the crankcase from scratch which includes the entire oil vapor recovery flange unit and I will try to recreate the duct that brings air to the oil cooler located behind the right bank . (yellow circle)

frah2o
#59 Posted : 25 August 2023 09:43:54

I go ahead with the work on this shroud.

As i mentioned in the previous post, I didn't like the oil vapor lid printed on the cover very much:
1 - to paint would have been a bit complicated
2 - printed integrated in the cover is not correct, as it is part of the monobloc.

Without thinking anymore, I cut everything ....I'll print in the future the new area for the crankcase, part of the missing conveyor and oil sensor.

Another quite obvious shortcoming: the duct that conveys the air to the oil cooler located behind the right cylinder bank.

I started from the initial part that starts from the hump of the fan and also finished the last piece of the makeover of the wings next to the fan

I then reassembled the engine to start reproducing the missing radiator and consequently the last part of the air duct.

I start taking the measure and I see that the gearbox half bell stamped on the cylinder block is in the way and makes any project difficult.

The radiator is directly flanged to the monobloc: I finally sawed off part of the bell and created an "orthogonal" space for designing my radiator.

In short, we are still in the cut and sew phase.

frah2o
#60 Posted : 11 September 2023 11:24:56

The oil radiator is ready….I printed actually thinking of having to redo the “full” piece from scratch by eliminating the pattern…and instead with no small wonder my little Elegoo Mars 3 was able to reproduce 0.2 alternating with holes of 0, 4… I'm happy.