Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<23456>»
Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8 Options
frah2o
#61 Posted : 11 September 2023 11:45:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

In the last 2 weeks on vacation with my daughters (therefore little vacation Mellow ) I still found the time to go on with my 911 Turbo.

I designed and engineered various components missing from both the original engine and my turbo version trying to follow the engine of the RSR
These include the "extensions" of the heads with the addition of the negative turbo writing and the lubrication ducts.

Various elements of the ignition (such as the direct coils on the spark plugs imitating the Audi R8) and of the injection including such ECUs and various control units.

Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
frah2o
#62 Posted : 11 September 2023 11:47:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

With the water/vinyl method and a single layer of paper towel I wanted to reproduce the rough and raw texture of the carbon for the engine conveyor.

2 coats of matt black and a final coat of matt clear

frah2o
#63 Posted : 12 September 2023 13:31:00

I'll continue with little updates

Mounted heads and lubrication ducts and painted....with the ducts I used pale gold to recall the tropicalization of the barrels.

As I proceeded my eye kept falling on the timimg covers. DeA divides them in half....which for the original engine are camouflaged and can be fine....for my turbo with the engine in sight they are not exactly the best.

I cut away the printed metal part and began to redesign them by doing various intermediate printing tests for the surfaces and then definitively printing them... a little more pretty.

frah2o
#64 Posted : 12 September 2023 13:44:24

With the drill used as a lathe and the small files as cutting edges I tried to give a shape more similar to the original and less angular.

I then eliminated the half-pulley printed on the fan and returned to the PC to redesign the entire pulley.

With aluminum tape I wanted to reproduce the metallic effect of the belt that fixes the fan conveyor to the engine crankcase... it seemed plausible to me... but I was rejected... and I redid the new band which even if it worked better....I was rejected for some out-of-scale elements.

Finally, paint and assemble the 6 individual ignition coils/spark plug wires

Markwarren
#65 Posted : 12 September 2023 21:57:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work, love the mods you’ve done. The Mars 3 is a great little machine, I bought one when they first came out and recently bought the pro version. The level of detail they produce is shown in the parts you’ve produced.
Also love what you’ve done with the paper towel. Love Love

Mark
frah2o
#66 Posted : 13 September 2023 09:06:38

Markwarren wrote:
Excellent work, love the mods you’ve done. The Mars 3 is a great little machine, I bought one when they first came out and recently bought the pro version. The level of detail they produce is shown in the parts you’ve produced.
Also love what you’ve done with the paper towel. Love Love

Mark

Thanks Mark, just wondered of print quality of this little Mars 3. It's very helpfull for these custom project. BigGrin

frah2o
#67 Posted : 13 September 2023 09:18:49

Before to reamde the new fan strap, I moved on to the centerpiece of this whole soup of topics: the turbo.

I filled, redid two welds, coat of primer, aluminium, matt black and matt transparent for the turbo chassis - bracket.

I covered the shield of the hot side with thermal cloth tape and then with punch&die I "printed" some bolts for the cold side.

Before applying the bolts, filled, sanded, metal primer and then a mix of flat aluminium, chrome silver and then Tamiya powders to give the turbo a little more life.

Now it seems more turbocharged and less keychain than it was at the beginning

frah2o
#68 Posted : 13 September 2023 09:26:02

I redesigned the fan strap by resizing the lugs and closing bolt.

I already knew that trying to improve the collectors of the kit would be difficult, after two unsatisfactory tests, I redesigned them too

I then started assembling all the missing and completely omitted details
- right side cams lubrication duct
- left side cams lubrication duct
- oil pressure sensor
- various nuts and bolts of the air conveyor

frah2o
#69 Posted : 15 September 2023 09:18:08

I continued with job on the top of the engine

With the usual water/vinyl way and a single layer of paper I covered the last part of the engine oil conveyor

I then worked on the injector rails; Once the injectors were fixed, I added the fitting for the fuel non-return flow on the side.

I painted the flutes with stainless grey, matt blue injectors and the fixing base to the monobloc in yellow and the fuel delivery connection in metallic blue

frah2o
#70 Posted : 18 September 2023 09:39:46

I continue the job with some missing sensors such as:
- oil temperature sensor
- Engine phase sensor

Once positioned in their place I then painted and fixed the actuators or throttle servos on the intake manifolds.

Markwarren
#71 Posted : 20 September 2023 10:30:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very nice, some nice work going into this.Love

Mark
frah2o
#72 Posted : 21 September 2023 09:11:39

Markwarren wrote:
Looking very nice, some nice work going into this.Love

Mark

Many thanks Mark

I've almost reached the end of the first macro part of building.

I finished the Wastegate and its bracket. I added the clamps that I had left out and the joint at the top for the future pneumatic hose that will connect to the plenum or manifolds.
I followed the color of RSR to paint the wastegate.

I then fixed the standard oil radiator in its original position: In the future The oil flow circuit will be worked for a bypass valve for the future, additional front radiator.

I then finished the work on the timing covers, adding the studs and finally (after having coupled the engine) I fixed them in position.

Overall I'm quite satisfied, I need to finish lubricating the turbo core assy and mount the belt an some details.....my 2.7 turbo is almost ready.

Markwarren
#73 Posted : 21 September 2023 09:56:44

frah2o
#74 Posted : 23 September 2023 13:10:26

With the engine now complete, it's time to start thinking about the chassis.

The engine bay in the kit is incorrect, small, cramped and the rear suspension struts are hidden. In the model the domes are covered by the firewall which is incorrect in shape and size.

I looked at the photos of the real 911 and started working on the engine bay.

To have correct future references and quote I also pre-assembled part of the internal floor, which as usual on these models is separated from the chassis i... which I will then obviously weld as already done previously with my others 1/8.

I worked on the kit tub and then I welded it with cyano and bicarbonate to the frame, in this way I discovered the rear susspension structs.

With a template I started to reproduce the missing part of the "floor" and trimmed the excess.

frah2o
#75 Posted : 23 September 2023 13:20:12

In the first step of this modification I took the engine (to which I added oil return ad supply line hoses for turbo assy core lubrication) and fitted in hisi position, and i checked that it interferes with the manifolds and the air duct for the engine oil radiator

Assembling it from the box there was no problem, but having modified it and made it monobloc the volumes had to be revised.

I worked on the rib both shortening it by 4mm to allow the entry of the engine and also I had to rotate the last and internal coil of the right side.

Once I had the correct dimensions I closed the box like on the Porsche in 1:1

frah2o
#76 Posted : 23 September 2023 13:22:16

I will continue with the reconstruction of the new firewall trying to add all the relevant ribs and aothers stails

The engine now mounts correctly in place in the new engine bay

goddo
#77 Posted : 23 September 2023 20:55:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Stunning workmanship and great pics Francesco.
Very inspirational.
Chris
frah2o
#78 Posted : 25 September 2023 09:16:56

goddo wrote:
Stunning workmanship and great pics Francesco.
Very inspirational.
Chris

Many thanks for you kind words Chris and i continue to do my best with this 911. ThumpUp ThumpUp

frah2o
#79 Posted : 25 September 2023 09:34:03

I continue with the engine compartment, closing the last bulkhead that was missing.

While I was assembling it, I realized that the holes for the future hoses to the intercooler conveyor are missing.

frah2o
#80 Posted : 25 September 2023 09:36:15

Between the lowered ride height and double-wide rear tires, the inner fenders must be modified to accommodate the new wheel assembly.

Once opened I checked that there was no interference or contact.
I will follow with the reconstruction of the internal fenders.