Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<34567>»
Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8 Options
goddo
#81 Posted : 25 September 2023 10:47:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hi Francesco,
Well, all I can say is that I consider myself pretty decent at sawing up a piece of wood, glueing it to another piece and sanding it down.
On the other hand, there are a good number of guys like yourself who take everything to another level with your vision. techniques and general skills. This Porsche is an amazing example of that.
Congratulations. I am watching in awe.
Chris
frah2o
#82 Posted : 25 September 2023 11:32:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

goddo wrote:
Hi Francesco,
Well, all I can say is that I consider myself pretty decent at sawing up a piece of wood, glueing it to another piece and sanding it down.
On the other hand, there are a good number of guys like yourself who take everything to another level with your vision. techniques and general skills. This Porsche is an amazing example of that.
Congratulations. I am watching in awe.
Chris

Many thanks Chris, in my opnion these 1/8 model are a good starting point to improve (original or tuned look).
Inglese

If I mounted them standard out of the box, I think I would have gotten bored right away after 2 models.
In addition to the pleasure of modifying them, it also becomes a personal challenge to learn new techniques and improve your skills.
Thanks again for your follow ThumpUp
Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
frah2o
#83 Posted : 26 September 2023 16:02:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

In the various tests of matching the body and modded chassis I forgot and made a mistake.
I didn't make the holes for the future intercooler air pipes and I didn't have enough space to screw/unscrew the rear shock absorber screws

I redid a new bulkhead in 3D with holes that allow me to both pass the tubes and operate on the shock absorbers.

Following friend's valuable advice to have the correct profile/inclination of the rear shock absorbers, I imported the photo and worked on that as a reference.

Printed everything and checked it....at the moment everything is ok

frah2o
#84 Posted : 28 September 2023 08:58:36

I'm almost at the end of the necessary subframe mods before I can start painting

Studying the 1:1 Poresche I understood that at the rear the frame has the rear axle which houses the torsion bar... the bridge (on real 911) is one with the frame.
DeA has studied the suspension - rear axle group separated from the chassis, I believe for easy assembly.
After checking the possibility of an alternative assembly, I also "welded" what should be the tube that would accommodate the torsion bar as in reality.

I drilled the frame in front of the gearbox for the future passage of the clutch cable, gearbox linkages and passage of the handbrake cables.

Another modification: the suspension domes have been equipped with two additional housings for the pipes coming from the exhaust which would serve as heat exchangers... in my turbo they no longer exist. So I created a new bulkhead with additional reinforcement to cover everything, and the gearbox fits into place without problems.

frah2o
#85 Posted : 29 September 2023 09:45:39

After a final step of sandpaper and washing with general degreaser and anti-silicone, the underbody is ready for the first painting pass.

I masked the engine bay to have a less rough base than what will be the underbody

I used a real paint for the 1:1s....which is almost more suitable as final effect on the 1:8

The rough effect came out as desired, now I let it dry for at least 24 hours before applying a coat of global white primer.

roymattblack
#86 Posted : 29 September 2023 13:18:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Another superb update.
A great idea to use a real bitumin paint underneath. I'll have to remember that one!
frah2o
#87 Posted : 30 September 2023 10:03:01

roymattblack wrote:
Another superb update.
A great idea to use a real bitumin paint underneath. I'll have to remember that one!

Thanks Roy! Blushing

First Primer coat, white matt base and finally its color: "blue torquoise"

With the various steps I knew that the effect of the anti-noise paint would be lost a little....but a good part of the texture remained visible

Always loved this color and now I'm starting to at least see its new skin....and I can start with the frame/suspension/hubs department

frah2o
#88 Posted : 10 October 2023 14:00:53

With the chassis ready I can start thinking about assembling the hub and suspension unit.

with the generous lowering of my 911, I had to work on various elements.

I had to change the fixing height of the steering box with respect to the bar on the frame which houses the future wishbones.
This increase in height serves to make the steering rods work without them having a contrast spring effect with respect to the suspensions themselves. Furthermore, working with extreme angles (if mounted if the modification) the tie rods shorten their working axis and drastically begin the positive convergence.

I worked on the areas circled in green to increase the fixing height of the servo box to the bar by creating two spacers with plastirod. By increasing the mounting distance I then used longer screws.

Increasing the height I had another problem with the screws that close the two semi-shells of the steering box, a shot of nippers and a file also solved this problem by eliminating the two slots circled in red

Once the dimensions had been verified I inserted the central tie rod into the steering box and closed the half shells with ABS glue.

frah2o
#89 Posted : 10 October 2023 14:08:26

Once the spaces had been checked with the new position of the steering box I was able to start assembling the arms and hubs......a start that took nothing after seeing the weakness of the calipers and discs supplied by the kit.

Taking the RS calipers and 964 discs as an example, I designed and printed something that was more pretty and realistic.
For easy assembly, I also drew and printed the centering of the rim on the disc hub.

Caliper diameter and dimensions were taken by making the most of the internal volume of the rim channel.

On a visual level between dimensions and shapes it is now more pleasant.

frah2o
#90 Posted : 10 October 2023 14:16:57

Once I verified that the assembly of the new parts was correct, I started painting/working on the new brake assembly.

I give a layer of Tamiya silver leaf and then mounting the discs on the drill and I started working with the powders and 6000 sandpaper to create a minimum "braking track effect"

I then masked the disc and painted the hub... then I did some washing with the panel line

I painted calipers in dark gray and added the hydraulic pipe for the flow of the liquid on both sides of the caliper

goddo
#91 Posted : 10 October 2023 14:56:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Francesco,
I wasn't too sure about the turquoise blue at first but now it's sprayed onto the body, I really like it. Good choice.
The work on the brake discs is top class. Well done.
Chris
frah2o
#92 Posted : 10 October 2023 14:58:21

With the disc-caliper assembly archived I moved on to work on the hydraulic connections of the braking system.

Studying various images of 911 taken from the internet I reproduced the connections between the rigid pipe that goes to the master cylinder and the braided pipe that goes to the caliper.
Once positioned I worked on the rigid pipe using wire and shaped it to connect the calipers.

I then created the central joint connection and drilled it for the passage of this rigid pipe which will connect to the master cylinder.

After fixing everything, I then connected everything to the calipers with the braided hose...front braking system is now complete.

I then created caps to hide the unsightly crosses of the screws.

frah2o
#93 Posted : 10 October 2023 14:59:29

goddo wrote:
Hi Francesco,
I wasn't too sure about the turquoise blue at first but now it's sprayed onto the body, I really like it. Good choice.
The work on the brake discs is top class. Well done.
Chris

Many many thanks Chris! Smile

frah2o
#94 Posted : 10 October 2023 16:28:18

Between the lowering and the tank and the images online, I saw that some 911 are equipped with the skid plate specifically to repair/armor the front end (and I am also equipped with it on my 1:1 VWs).
There are various shapes and sizes. I want to replicate it in aluminum without complicating my life too much, I chose an easy shape.

I started with some cardboard and used a spare front end to have a template and not risk ruining the " azure torquoise".

I placed cardboard on aluminum and I then cut and shaped. I purposely scraped and scratched the skid and purposely left the scratched plate covering the steering box.

Once the plate was finished and fixed I went behind my "idlers"... with my tested system on my others models with vinyl glue and rubberized tape I wanted to give a little roughness to the tyre.
I give Primer and then 3 coats of matt black. Once dry I hand-painted the idlers writings with the nail stippler...at least I have a more truthful chromatic vision.

Last detail before putting an end to this part: Bilstein decals on the front shocks and "Wiechers sport" on the skid.

frah2o
#95 Posted : 10 October 2023 16:33:34

And after this update and after using a less confusing background than usual, at the end some pics "on the ground" and with its wheels at the front.

frah2o
#96 Posted : 11 October 2023 09:45:58

I start my work on rear...and it also needs a lot of revisions.

The gearbox is correct in overall form but is lacking in various details.

The gearbox breech does not have the output that controls the shaft that goes to the gearbox; with the limited space available I tried to design it in such a way as to create the housing for the gearbox rod (gearbox which perhaps will be a CAE shifter)

Another necessary work is the housing of the starter motor....I imported a pic to have the references, I redesigned the missing part of the flange necessary for the new starter motor...also redesigned (but which I will post further on)

Another part replaced are the joints of the driveshafts...the originals were really ugly

goddo
#97 Posted : 11 October 2023 12:18:51

I love the scratch marks on the the chassis guard plate.
Another beautiful touch.
This car is just amazing.
Chris
frah2o
#98 Posted : 12 October 2023 09:34:06

goddo wrote:
I love the scratch marks on the the chassis guard plate.
Another beautiful touch.
This car is just amazing.
Chris

Thanks Chris and very glad of your comments and enjoying your watch.

Once the new housing for the starter motor was fixed , I completed thework with plasticard.

I then completed the work on the starter (I searched online and found "light weight" starter motors for the 911), I fitted the bolts and finally mounted them on the gearbox.

I painted the iinner joints and started assembling the rear axle and some details on the boots.

In the meantime I'm thinking (since the gearbox will remain open for quite time) to print the internal bell housing with the output shaft that engages the clutch assembly and crankshaft

I painted the rear shock absorber top mount purple to recall the polyurethane Powerflex .

Next steps: the assembly of the rear braking system and the final details to be able to finish the lower part of the chassis

admin
#99 Posted : 12 October 2023 15:45:05

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

It gives me great pleasure to award a "Yellow" medal to frah2o for an outstanding build of the Porsche 911 Turbo version.

Link to the medal award is below:

https://forum.deagostini....1697112766.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=85065946#post350526

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
frah2o
#100 Posted : 13 October 2023 09:54:03

admin wrote:
Hi All, BigGrin

It gives me great pleasure to award a "Yellow" medal to frah2o for an outstanding build of the Porsche 911 Turbo version.

Link to the medal award is below:

https://forum.deagostini....1697112766.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=85065946#post350526

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

Thank ModelSpace so much for this award and for the follow-up you have for this "not exactly conventional" project. I'm very glad for these words Blushing Blushing

Thanks to the admins and the forum.
I hope I do a good job and don't bore you too much BigGrin