Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<45678>»
Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8 Options
frah2o
#101 Posted : 13 October 2023 11:39:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

I continue with work on the rear axle...which is almost at the end.

I fitted the new disc and caliper assembly at the rear...between the set-up and the new components I took the liberty of modifying the postiton of the caliper in order to make easier the fitting of the braided hose.
With the adoption of the new caliper I had the banjo facing the arm that goes to the torsion bar.

Once the braided hose was positioned I then made the cable grommet between the hose and the frame

The same procedure was also done for the other side.
Once this first part of the braking system was finished, I then created the clutch cable and positioned it...the rubber boot will then be 3d printed.

I then worked on the turbofans: I don't not want them totally black or turquoise, my idea is to made them two-tone.

I give a coat of primer, external black and internal white base. I the masked externally and then turquoise on the internal side and a final coat of matt clear.

I then also finished the rear "Idlers" tyres and a quick color test with the turbofans

Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
frah2o
#102 Posted : 13 October 2023 11:43:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

The rear sway bar from the kit is completely black

I gave it a "bit of life" by painting it red imitating the Wiechers Sport and redoing the brackets in black.....it is missing the detail of the bolts that fix it to the frame which I will add in the next few days together with other small missing details.

Finally, some usual photos up to the point I've reached.

Markwarren
#103 Posted : 13 October 2023 16:09:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

frah2o
#104 Posted : 16 October 2023 10:44:59

Markwarren wrote:
Stunning work.Love Love ThumpUp

Mark

Thanks Mark! BigGrin

Once the rear hub suspension unit was finished I worked on another element totally ignored by DeA.

The oil tank is "reproduced" with a simply plate with fixed oil filter and filler .. that's it.
The delivery and return pipes for the oil flow of the kit, are fixed "dead" inside the mudguard without any sense.

I search and look some pics and with the allowed internal spaces of the model, I tried to reproduce the oil tank with the oil level sensor.
I fixed it to the plate supplied by DeA and the 911 now a little bit more decent oil tank.

I then opened the corner to allow its assembly with the new tank.
I then checked everything with the body mounted and it seemed good.

Another detail that I didn't like: the internally empty gearbox. I looked at some pics and tried to reproduce the missing part of the gearbox with primary shaft and sliding for the pressure plate bearing.

frah2o
#105 Posted : 16 October 2023 10:56:56

I painted the new gearbox printed part and now with the engine out it looks more credible.

I finished the new oil tank with primer, 2 layers of matt black and one of matt clear and finally positioned the oil level sensor which will then be wired in the future

I then added the last missing bolts to the sway bar brackets

Finally I added some "technical" sponsors inside the engine bay. Afterwards, with the engine mounted, it would have become quite complicated to be able to put the decals on

frah2o
#106 Posted : 17 October 2023 11:51:37

Having temporarily archived the work on the engine and suspension unit, I started another part of this 911 which will not be simple at all: the interior.

I mounted the floor....and the pedal area and the passenger foot area are too minimalist respect the 1:1

By dry-assembling the internal floor, it was understood that between it and the steering box there is all the space (unused) to place a speaker and control unit for lights and sounds.
Having eliminated all the electrical system and looking for as many photos as possible I started thinking about how to try to improve this area.

Being constrained for assembling of the dashboard (and in order not to alter the assembly dimensions), I welded the structural points with cyano glue and bicarbonate and then opened the area that I will redesign and print in 3D.

In addition to this (and I figured it out on my own....but I will also need it for the RSR) it will be mandatory to redo the pedals cluster from scratch which is practically non-existent on this Porsche.

goddo
#107 Posted : 18 October 2023 11:21:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Brilliant stuff. I'm speechless (that's a blessing, some might say) BigGrin BigGrin
Chris
frah2o
#108 Posted : 19 October 2023 11:00:02

goddo wrote:
Brilliant stuff. I'm speechless (that's a blessing, some might say) BigGrin BigGrin
Chris

Many thank Goddo....i'm very glad of your follow and to enjoy your watch.

frah2o
#109 Posted : 19 October 2023 11:04:18

I started with the first part of the rebuilding of the new front bulkhead.

After importing the profile of the original and minimal bulkhead from the kit, I designed and printed the new one trying to follow/resemble that of the 1:1 which is quite complicated with multiple shape.

After a couple of adjustments I fixed the new bulkhead.

Now I can continue with the reconstruction of the side corners where there are the warm air ducts coming from the engine.

Furthermore, I have to study whether I can already fix the base of the dashboard without complicating my life with future assemblies to be able to add other missing parts of this area of ​​the passenger compartment.

frah2o
#110 Posted : 23 October 2023 13:45:01

I'll continue with the interiors which here too ,there is a lot to try to fix.

Having positioned the first part of the bulkhead, I worked on the area of ​​the side uprights, the door hinge area.

The 1:1 has a box where there is a pipe internally (on both sides) which conveys the hot air from the engine and takes it to the heater unit.
From the "corners" at the base of the uprights 2 "chimneys" emerge to which the corrugated cables are then connected which will go to the heater unit located in the front trunk.

I drew a first version to have a picture, then with measurements in hand I corrected and reprinted the final corners.

frah2o
#111 Posted : 23 October 2023 13:53:23

Once the corners were fixed, I proceeded to reproduce , trying to best imitate the shape, the part of the bulkhead under the dashboard which has a "hump" (a hump which on the trunk side is the seat of the passenger compartment heater unit).

I shaped and cutted the part of the dashboard, to be able to fit the new piece and to allow me to dismantle and reassemble the dashboard itself for subsequent modifications.

Once the dimensions and modifications were all back, I fixed them definitively and started the filling all.

frah2o
#112 Posted : 23 October 2023 14:02:49

Once the front bulkhead has now a little bit more decent, I moved on to the floor area.

Between minimalism, incorrect shapes, unlikely assembly and missing details I try to make sense of this very poor floor.

I started by reproducing the brackets welded to the floor that are used to fix the seats.

In addition to these, I reproduced seeing various 911s online, the raised central tunnel to have the gearbox turret in a higher position.

Once everything was fixed, I placed the seat of the M-Tech (which is a tk producer for this 911) to start thinking about the future subframe that I will have to make and the inclination that I will have to give.

Now we will have to work on the door sills which are incorrect in shape and to harmonize the presence of the new seat brackets

Finally I started to close all the fixing holes of the rear seats, as the floor will remain bare and visible.

frah2o
#113 Posted : 25 October 2023 11:24:20

Trying to make a job as close to reality as possible I would have had to saw/cut half the internal platform.

The internal floor of the 1:1 is very deep and the door sills are very high.

In the models (as usual) the chassis floor is divided from the interior floor and therefore as usual it is higher in height, the greater height is recovered in the model by "cheating" and distorting other elements such as tunnels, door sills and fixings of the seats

If I wanted to replicate the 1:1 I would have had to:
- erase the entire floor including tunnels
- fix the gearbox tunnel directly to the floor/chassis
- redesign the entire firewall
- fix and secure the dashboard frame (as on the real one)
- redesign part of the floor in the rear seat area

Practically I would have cut half the model with the almost certain unknown of losing references for assembly and I would have created difficulties in assembling other elements.

I therefore mimicked this part to make more similar to its real counterpart.

I designed the new door sills which are much bulkier than the kit. I discovered, studing the real 911, that inside the door sills have internally channeled ducts/pipes which carry hot air from the exhaust heat exchangers to the heater unit located in the front trunk.

The first version that I printed as a fixing looked good but once mounted it appeared too wide... a width that appears even more excessive once the body is fitted... so wide that it seems like the entry door sills of a 917k.

frah2o
#114 Posted : 25 October 2023 11:29:37

With the inside floor in my hand and making a compromise between model assembly and adherence to reality, I redesigned the intrnal sills by doing a little slimming treatment.

Now overall it appears less heavy and more similar to reality.

This will be followed by fixing an filling between new sills and front base pillars

I will also have to work on the door seal profile which has been completely absent on the door entry....but before I get involved I will have to assemble the door and check the space with the door trim to see the spaces/modifications that will need to be made.

Upcoming macro works:
- complete roll cage with door anti-intrusion bars
- rear window base bulkhead with pipe holes for intercooler air induction
- new seats

Then perhaps as macro components I could be ok....

frah2o
#115 Posted : 26 October 2023 10:53:46

Once the internal floor has been defined, I start to check the fitting of the frame with the bodyshell... and the first (not calculated) fitting problem pops up.

The new sills need to be reprofiled to wrap around the rear interior side panels. After marking the area to be eliminated, I use dremel with cutter and removed the necessary area and now fits good.

Once everything was in the place I moved on to thinking about the upper part of the firewall at the base of the rear window.

Once assembled it appears incorrect in shape.

Always from references I started studying to improve their appearance and fitting.

I sawed off the lip that should join the bulkhead of the internal floor which will have to be redone.
Before thinking about it I started to reproduce the rib in positive, I produced a first test version which I will adjust for both dimensions and thickness

This week I plan to start building the roll bar

frah2o
#116 Posted : 27 October 2023 09:14:24

The rear bulkhead, as I imagined, is really complicated

First of all, I redid the rib on the upper side of firewall by thinning its thickness and positioned it before 3d resin curing it so as to have it semi-soft allowing it a minimum of adaptation with the shapes

With the measure of the original piece I redesigned the bulkhead with the link holes for the intercooler pipes.
I knew it would be a first test piece on which to have references for the second version.

I have to adjust the thickness, coupling with the rear panels and the rear pillars (areas circled in red).

Markwarren
#117 Posted : 27 October 2023 10:59:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Wow, this is getting some serious upgrades. Truly amazing.Love Love Drool

Mark
frah2o
#118 Posted : 28 October 2023 09:46:00

Markwarren wrote:
Wow, this is getting some serious upgrades. Truly amazing.Love Love Drool

Mark

ThumpUp Thanks Mark

New version of Firewall is reprinted and then shaped on site.

I made it integral with the bulkhead at the base of the rear window so that it comes away with the bodyshell but positioning it in such a way that it seems integral with the frame.

Once I have all the dimensions for the next step, I will fix the coupling between the side panels and the inner wheel arches

I will open the holes for the intercooler pipes to pass through

Now I'm starting to think about the seat (sport bucket as Recaro or Sparco Evo) where I'll have little effort here as I found a very nice pair already ready on Cult 3d.

Once the pair of seats has been printed and dry assembled I will have all the dimensions to start the roll cage.

frah2o
#119 Posted : 30 October 2023 11:24:48

Before starting the roll bar I think it is useful to have the seats in position so as not to have unpleasant surprises with the internal volumes.

I have a seat gift from a modellinng mate...but the shape is a bit too old school for my project.

The seat I chose is like the Sparco Evo (seen mounted on some 911s) and in context it is the perfect seat for my project... the only flaw: the seat and bracket are always a single body... they cannot be found printable separately.
I'll see how to fit the brackets to the frame

In the meantime, to have some references I started printing it.

First attempt.....print ok, but undersized seat

Second attempt, print ok but now a little too big.

On the third one (but I'm waiting for the resin to be supplied) I should have the correct seat in the right scale to be able to proceed with the dry assembly and then move the work with the rollcage.

goddo
#120 Posted : 02 November 2023 10:45:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Francesco,
Your build is just amazing. Congratulations on your skills.
Chris