Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<7891011>
Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8 Options
frah2o
#161 Posted : 08 January 2024 17:21:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

With the tank in place I had the reference for the battery measurements....wandering around the internet I found some ultra-light batteries from Lite Blox.

After drawing the battery I imported the vector to obtain the logo in low relief.

I then also designed the totally omitted steering column cover.

Once everything was printed I took a photo with the assembly of my personal TK....
DeA uses 12 files to compose this section.....I used 2.5 of them

Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
goddo
#162 Posted : 08 January 2024 21:37:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

This build is really starting to come together nicely......and seemingly quickly!
As I have said before, your attention to little details is amazing.
Chris
frah2o
#163 Posted : 31 January 2024 14:15:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

goddo wrote:
This build is really starting to come together nicely......and seemingly quickly!
As I have said before, your attention to little details is amazing.
Chris

Thanks Chris, really appecciate your words.

I continue with some progress

Having prepared the tank and battery with the usual 600 sanding process, then primer and two coats of matt black, I moved on to laying the carbon not before having created the templates.
I allowed the decals to dry completely for 24 hours and sealed everything with glossy clear coat

Finally, the tank compartment also received its "new skin"

frah2o
#164 Posted : 31 January 2024 14:19:12

I mimicked the glass water tank, I gave two coats of white, masked the upper part and painted the rest blue. I "dusted" the entire tank with the same blue to try to replicate the blue translucency of the upper part of the tank not reached by the liquid level.
Finally, always spraying from afar, I applied various layers of opaque transparent both to opaque and to give a classic textured effect of liquid glass tanks.
I then finished further mattifying with the Tamiya powders. The cap was then painted blue and applied to the tank.

I then continued with the coloring of the upper flange of the tank and the smaller flange of the float for the fuel level sender; once finished I mounted everything on the tank.

I created some cable glands and after painting them I fixed them to the sides of the front uprights

Finally mounted and connected the Lite Blox battery

frah2o
#165 Posted : 31 January 2024 14:22:26

I'll continue with the assembly of all the various details and connections:

- Relay box positioned and front electrical wiring loom connected
- Connected the passage of the front oil cooler pipe
- Positioned the missing casing from the kit that covers the steering column
- The upper front suspension plates are mounted
- Mounted primary fuel pump on the struts bar and connected both the inlet and return supply pipes
- The fuel fill hose and the petrol vapor vent hose are mounted and connected
-Position the windshield washer tank with its bracket and connect the hoses to the pump. Hoses that in the future will connect to the nozzles located at the base of the windshield. Also connected is the electrical wiring that operates the windshield washer pump.

frah2o
#166 Posted : 31 January 2024 14:24:08

Last job to finish the front compartment: the brake booster-master cylinder assembly and brake fluid reservoir.
The tank was painted matt white and then I worked with Tamiya pigments to yellow it to mimic the color of the dot4
A light general wash is a bit of wheatereing and I placed the assembly in place.

Last job, I connected the hydraulic pipes and the braking circuit pressure sensors

I then mounted mudguards and bumpers to check that the bonnet closed without various impediments.

frah2o
#167 Posted : 31 January 2024 14:26:17

Once the fuel tank compartment was finished I concentrated on the front oil radiator.

From the intake on the bumper I found a lip in the middle which is part of the floor which is exactly in the middle of the area where the future radiator will be housed.

Turned on the dremel and removed the lip from the floor.

frah2o
#168 Posted : 31 January 2024 14:31:24

Taking inspiration from some 911 RSR Iroc, I created the radiator and tried my hand at welding for the first time.

I then also created the supports and drilled the radiator in various points in order to have various possibilities for positioning the supports

Once everything is assembled and in terms of dimensions and performance i'm quite happy

frah2o
#169 Posted : 31 January 2024 14:33:40

I painted The front oil radiator and the inlet and outlet joint

Even if everything will then be hidden and invisible I didn't feel like leaving him there without connection. I added a cable gland and connected the last part of the pipe which connects to the pipes previously mounted in the tank compartment.

frah2o
#170 Posted : 31 January 2024 14:36:32

Before focusing on the last major macrogroup(the bodyshell), I already had a front splitter in my mind.

Before painting and with the risk of ruining it, I thought it best to put the worry out of my mind.

I imported the 1:1 scale profile of the area underneath the bumper and created the not too excessive splitter as a "sidewalk" and followed the original profile of the same bumper.

And with this I updated the work progress of my little 911

goddo
#171 Posted : 06 February 2024 11:43:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Francesco,
This build continues to be of the highest skill and inventiveness.
Looking really good. Congratulations.
Chris
frah2o
#172 Posted : 21 February 2024 11:29:28

goddo wrote:
Hi Francesco,
This build continues to be of the highest skill and inventiveness.
Looking really good. Congratulations.
Chris

Many Thanks Chris!

Once the splitter was finished I started thinking about fixed rear windows also known as quarter window

With the adoption of the IC I already had a forced air flow in mind that would always remember the rsr system.

I started the work by importing the graphic area on which to work and obtain the initial shape on which to then build the air intake: the fourth one was good.

frah2o
#173 Posted : 21 February 2024 11:32:39

I started with the first version of the air intake which appeared less bulky on the screen than the printed version

In all versions I made a window (to which I will apply acetate) so as not to remove too much inner light and make everything heavier.

I worked on 2 other types of sockets and in the end I opted for the one that looks like a restored RSR (the one by Vasek Polak)

frah2o
#174 Posted : 21 February 2024 11:35:03

With final choice of future air intake, I then designed the tubes that connect to the air intakes and continue into the engine compartment to then connect to the IC duct.

Subsequently I will increase the diameter because as tubes they seem a little undersized for the required air supply.

goddo
#175 Posted : 21 February 2024 16:05:25

Hi Francesco,
Always look forward to seeing your build updates.
Superb workmanship.
Chris
frah2o
#176 Posted : 22 February 2024 09:02:21

goddo wrote:
Hi Francesco,
Always look forward to seeing your build updates.
Superb workmanship.
Chris

I'm very satisfied to enjoy you Chris. BigGrin

The further I go, the more unfortunately I notice missing or mistakes.

The internal door sill requires adaptation and the crest where the door seal is positioned is completely missing.

I recreated the new door sill with the rib for the future rubber seal.

Having eliminated the serigraphs from the rear bonnet, I then worked on the new future rear logos.

frah2o
#177 Posted : 22 February 2024 09:05:45

I then started working on the doors and specifically on the inner cards.

As in my previous 1/8 golf GTI, I will cover almost entirely in carbon decal.

I look various panels as examples: I will mix carbon with elements of those covered in fabric/leather

I applied a 0.5mm plasticard sheet over panel which I then drilled to apply in the future the internal handle, the internal door opening and the window lift handle.

frah2o
#178 Posted : 22 February 2024 09:08:41

I then turned my attention to other elements of the door.

In addition to wanting to replace the mirrors, I also revised the handles.

For the mirrors I opted for classic ogive ones where I also inclined the mirror depending on the side mounted.

I replaced the handles with those of the 944 type which have a decidedly more beautiful shape for which I made the lock cylinder separate to facilitate future painting.

I produced the door pin which was totally omitted.

Finally I redid the knob that will be applied to the window lift handle (very basic).

frah2o
#179 Posted : 26 February 2024 10:37:04

In my first idea of air intake system I had in mind to put the cone filter directly on the cold side turbo but it seemed too extreme and not very functional.

The RSR use an intake air flow system that I tried to replicate: periscope intake on the wing - duct - airbox and finally turbo.

I started from the periscope air intake that I positioned in the right side area of ​​the cooling grill.
As usual I imported the various graphic areas in fusion to have a direction to follow for shapes and curves.

I then continued to work on the duct with the airbox cover (which is the carbon air box of BMC-CDA) and finally the filter element.

The system works when the bonnet is closed; when it raise it the airbox remains in position, but the duct with the airbox cover is raised.

To work on the last components to connect to the turbo and get the measurements, i dry fixxed the CDA airbox with its duct to the air intake scope.

frah2o
#180 Posted : 26 February 2024 10:42:45

As a first attempt I was getting closer to what I set out to do.

I worked on the coupling between the pipe with cover and the CDA to align the CDA with the turbo flange so as to be able to work on a hose with a single 90° bend without having to create double curves with overly complicated trajectories in such a small space.

Once I found the right inclination I went ahead designing the sleeve on the turbo, the connection flange between the turbo sleeve and the airbox pipe and finally the airbox pipe itself.

I printed, dry mounted and everything came back as I had imagined.

Airbox now is fixxed with the turbo..
With the hood down, everything is connected. When the bonnet is raised only the air intake duct separates.