Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Copper plate Options
aurelius
#1 Posted : 08 June 2020 03:40:13

Groups: Registered

I received my full kit of HMS Surprise last week within 2 weeks of dispatch somewhat surprisingly (pun not intended) given the present circumstances. The box was somewhat battered but all 28 parts were present and correct. I have successfully downloaded some of the build instructions as a test so all good there. Now I am wondering whether to go with a copper plated hull bottom. I was quite impressed with the look of the the HMS Victory cross section when I gave it this finish some time ago. How authentic would that be? I believe the Royal Navy went with copper for most of the fleet by the 1790's.
Currently finishing my 1848 Concord Stage coach from the American 'Wild West' era, which has been a delight to build. Can't wait to get started on Surprise.
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 08 June 2020 17:52:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi aurelius!

Copper plating the Surprise would be perfectly acceptable, apparently the experiments by the Royal Navy began in the mid 1700's and despite some problems with the electrolytic destruction of iron bolts in the hull proved to be far better protection from marine worms etc than the earlier lead sheaving and anti-fouling paints. The entire fleet was ordered to be copper plated in 1778 as a result of the American Revolutionary war. The ship HMS Surprise (formerly the French "Unite")was captured in 1796 and sold off in 1802 (although the fictional Surprise was still active in 1817). Virtually all the British frigates were copper plated by 1790 so Surprise would have been refitted after capture and plated then.

Robin

PS The Unite was captured by a British frigate which her crew mistakenly identified as a neutral vessel. Consequently she did not clear decks for action and the Royal Navy frigate performed a quick '180', sailed up alongside and boarded her before the crew knew they were being attacked! That's the way to do it!Flapper
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
aurelius
#3 Posted : 09 June 2020 10:46:19

Thanks for that Info Robin. I will order some appropriate scale 1/48 copper plate.
Have just finished the Alexander Kent series of novels set during this era so plenty of info there. Julian Stockwin's novels set in the same era are also great yarns and very well researched. I recommend both these authors to anyone interested in this era of history.
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 09 June 2020 20:36:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad to help Aurelius!

Yes I've read some of the Alexander Kent's - very well detailed and descriptive and a bit like Game of Thrones at sea (the characters at the start aren't necessarily going to be around at the end!)BigGrin Certainly doesn't pull any punches in the sea battles either!
Best of luck with her.

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1