Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Cleanining up the metal frame threads Options
Dave Little
#1 Posted : 10 June 2020 16:59:57

Groups: Unapproved, New Members

Hi

I just discovered this forum last night! I want to thanks Markwarren who posted the circuit board issue, where the DC plug has to be plugged into terminal 20 on the circuit board, for the circuit board to work. Back in January, I tried testing my board, per DeAgostini's instructions. When the board didn't work, I requested a new one. Took 5 months to get it - yesterday. Hooked the new board up, which of course didn't work. Searched Google for the topic, found your forum, discovered the fix (hooking up the DC power socket, which had come in a later issue) - and it worked!

I wanted to contribute something hopefully helpful for some of you, or future members.

I had a terrible time with the screw threads on the metal frame parts. They were poorly cut.

I took the screws to Tacoma Screw, and they were able to identify them for me. The screws in question, that screw into the metal frame parts, are XW01, XW04, and XW07. All three screws have the same threads:

Metric, M2.5, with a thread pitch of 0.45

I was able to purchase a Tap from Tacoma Screw to recut the threads in the metal framework parts:

Union Butterfield 1012423, M2.5 x 0.45 HS Metric Taper Tap

The cost was $13.37

This tap worked wonderfully - My screws screw in so easily now.

Hope this is helpful.

Dave Little
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 10 June 2020 22:40:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Many thanks Dave and a great tip. I’m sure that will be of help to some.

I am doing the official build as well as the custom build here. You might want to take a look at the official build as there are some more tips through the stages that you may find helpful, particularly before assembling the wings and testing the electronics.

Hope that helps you.

Regards
Mark