Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Glenn's Yamato Build Log Options
Glennard
#1 Posted : 10 July 2020 08:59:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

The ship yard has been made ready for my next build project, the 1 / 250 scale model of IJN Yamato. My final preparation is to set up this build log to

a) chart my progress
b) to ask for help should I encounter any problems
c) to share my thoughts on any possible improvements to the build processes.

The delivery of the full Yamato kit has been delayed as it was due to arrive over a week ago but I am now expecting (after discussions with Model Space) the kit to be delivered in the next 5 days (or so), fingers crossed.

This build will be a departure from my normal model boat projects which have all been standard wooden construction with some PE parts, such as HMS Victory.

I am looking forward to the new challenge of working with die cast metal components and will try to keep this build log up to date with my progress.
Current WIP: IJN Yamato
Completed builds: Scottish Maid, HMS Victory (Caldercraft) & HM Sloop Brig Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Web: https://modelshipworld.c...-model-space-1250-scale/
Glennard
#2 Posted : 11 July 2020 17:22:38

Received an unexpected delivery today, the full kit for the IJN Yamato.

It is taken a few hours to check through all the packs, but as far as I can tell all 90 packs have been included.

The only minor disappointment is there was not instruction manual, and I have to rely on using the on screen build manual. All the build manual files have been downloaded and I have printed out the first 12 documents.

Glennard attached the following image(s):
0001 yamato_parts.jpg
0002 yamato_workstation.jpg
Completed builds: Scottish Maid, HMS Victory (Caldercraft) & HM Sloop Brig Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Glennard
#3 Posted : 11 July 2020 19:32:07

I have just noted the first problem with the bridge assembly in that the two parts do not line up, as can be seen in the attached photo. It is only a fraction out but I think it needs to be rectified.

I have a some ideas to resolve the issue, which include:

a) leave as is and file the different edges smooth
b) file a bit of the top edge of the locating pin to resolve the issue.
c) remove the front pin and see if it can be pivoted in place
d) remove both pins and align by eye.

I think I will try option b) first and if that does not work then I will move on to option c). Failing that I will resort to option d).

I plan to solder the joints for added strength so it will not be a problem if I need to remove the locating pins.

Yamato Bridge Small.jpg

Glennard
#4 Posted : 12 July 2020 13:22:48

I have now started the build in earnest. My first task was to dry fit the hull assembly. No major issues but there are a couple of warped parts that will need some attention when I glue the parts. Pictures attached.

I also sorted out the bridge alignment issue. I just gave the two locating pins a light file and thankfully the parts then lined up perfectly and have now been glued together. Picture attached.

I have noted a couple of issues with the first big gun assembly. The wooden base plate needed trimming along two edges and one of the range finders will need a bit of filing as the locating slot is not deep enough. Pictures attached. I have attached a picture of the dry fit of the gun.

0001 yamato_hull.jpg
0002 warped_base_plate.jpg
0003 warped_piece.jpg
0004 bridge_glued.jpg
0005 gun_plate_too_big.jpg
0006 gun_range_finder_fitting.jpg
0007 dry_fit_gun.jpg

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 12 July 2020 13:58:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking good and happy to see you are dealing with the niggles you have come across.Cool Cool Cool

Congrats also on your "Blue" medal for starting a diary of your build.BigGrin

Hope to see more soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Glennard
#6 Posted : 13 July 2020 12:50:15

I made a little jig to aid the clamping of the signalling deck to the bridge. It worked a treat.

The range finders for the command post did not fit in the locating holes, but this was sorted with a bit of filing to the top edge of each range finder.

I have sorted out the warping issue with both the base plate and keel support
rsz_0008_signal_deck_clamps.jpg
rsz_0010_correcting_warped_keel.jpg
rsz_0011_correcting_warped_base_and_marking.jpg

Gandale
#7 Posted : 13 July 2020 21:02:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're making good steady progress, looking good.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#8 Posted : 13 July 2020 23:15:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Off to a great start Glenn. Cool

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Glennard
#9 Posted : 14 July 2020 16:37:44

More work on the hull and bridge today. Most of the hull frame work is now complete. I am still sorting out a warp part issue with the keel support and will be this fitted tomorrow so I will then be ready to start adding the hull planking.

I have also added more parts to the bridge assembly. When adding two of the platforms I used a small wooden support strip to hold the part on place as the epoxy resin cured. I made the wooden support strip in 10mm long along one edge and 11mm along the other edge, as can be seen from the attached photo.
File Attachment(s):
Bridge Support.jpg (441kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
Bridge.jpg

Glennard
#10 Posted : 16 July 2020 13:05:44

My build is progressing well and I have now started to plank the hull frame.

I have also continued to add parts the bridge assembly. In general I'm finding there is a lot of work required on the die cast parts before they can be fitted correctly.

Due to the problems of this forum's ability to show uploaded pictures reliably and the need to reduce the size and quality of the pictures I will only post pictures of my progress occasionally. Please refer to my build log on Model Ship World where I will continue to post updates and pictures on a regular basis.
https://modelshipworld.c...model-space-1250-scale/

Also refer to the excellent John Builds Iconic Military Models YouTube channel where for his video logs on both the HMS Victory and IJN Yamato builds.
https://www.youtube.com/...C7fMsbvE-v0ErxWk9SKrW1w

Glennard
#11 Posted : 22 July 2020 12:05:39

I have continued to make progress on both the superstructures and the hull planking. I expect to complete the hull planking in the next few days, all being well.

Please see attached photos.

I have been disappointed with the quality of some of the die cast parts. One part, as can be seen in the attached photo, arrived badly warped where there is a 3mm displacement. It might have been possible to use it but it would require a lot of filing and filling with epoxy resin to resolve the manufacturing defect. Model Space have agreed to supply a new part so fingers crossed the new part is not misshapen.
rsz_0029_hull_planking.jpg
rsz_0028_superstructures.jpg
rsz_0027_warped_part.jpg

Glennard
#12 Posted : 24 July 2020 15:00:20

Nearly completed the hull planking. Stern area has now been completed.
rsz_20200724_133254.jpg

magpie1832
#13 Posted : 24 July 2020 15:27:32

Motoring away there Glenn. Looking great mate.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Glennard
#14 Posted : 26 July 2020 15:28:02

I have now completed adding the strakes to the starboard side of Yamato's hull framework. It looks a bit rough and uneven at the moment which is to be expected. I should be able to complete adding the remaining strakes to the port side in the next couple of days (or so).

Once I have added all the strakes the hull can then be marked out and sanded (and filled) smooth, using the various templates provided to ensure the correct profile along the length is achieved.

I think the sanding and filling process will take some time to get right.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Glennard
#15 Posted : 06 August 2020 17:35:50

I decided to deviate from the instructions, which requires each deck part to be planked separately and installed at a much later stage. I think it is better to fit all the deck panels first and to then fit the deck planks later on (this is how it was done on the official build log as well). The photo etched parts are only dry fitted at the moment as is the final deck part, as the hanger deck will require painting prior to the fitting.

I found this method was much better for getting the hull profile to fit the sanding templates.
File Attachment(s):
041 Decks.jpg (297kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
042 Decks.jpg (263kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
043 Decks.jpg (269kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Gandale
#16 Posted : 06 August 2020 21:50:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done, some very nice work being shown.... Well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#17 Posted : 06 August 2020 21:50:16

Nicely done, some very nice work being shown.... Well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Glennard
#18 Posted : 24 August 2020 20:31:20

I have continued to work on the main superstructure assembly on my IJN Yamato build (1 / 250 scale).

It takes quite a bit of work due to the poor quality of some of the die cast parts which requires plenty of filing and putty to correct. I have added primer to some parts to help highlight some of the defects.

The main bridge and funnel assemblies have not been glued as yet, as there is still some more bits to add.
Superstructure.jpg

Glennard
#19 Posted : 24 August 2020 20:35:57

Another picture
File Attachment(s):
Superstructure1.jpg (260kb) downloaded 29 time(s).

Glennard
#20 Posted : 01 September 2020 22:05:56

I have continued on with progress, today I added the rolling chocks, rudders and propellers. I have also built 12 off small machine gun assemblies.
Rolling Chocks.jpg
Prop and Rudder.jpg
Props and Rudder-1.jpg