Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Dan Dare 'Anastasia' model Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 19 July 2020 16:12:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I've been a Dan Dare fan for donkeys years and have the entire collection of Eagle comics. (As well as TV-21)
I also have the Dan Dare strips in the gigantic, superb Hawk hardback book collections.

I've been trying to get a good model of Anastasia - Dan's ship, for many years but for whatever reason, nobody makes one.

SOOO - The upshot is I'm going to make one myself.
I think that to do it any justice, the finished model will need to be around 18" (460mm) in length at least.
TBH, I'd prefer it at around 24"- 30" but my vac former can't make the parts large enough without resorting to loads of bits that need fixing together.
Even at 18" though, I'll be able to add interior detail through the 'greenhouse' windows.

I'm going to make it in clear plastic, vac formed, so I will be able to have all the windows just by careful masking before paint. That way, there will be no fiddly adding separate clear windows to the model.

As a vac form, I'll have to create the masters first but after that, I'll be able to make as many as I want if things go wrong.

Am I potty...
Are there no other people out there who have wanted a model of Anastasia?
WHY has nobody ever made such a kit???
Am I the only old twit who has wanted one?
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 19 July 2020 16:55:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Roy, BigGrin

As a Dan Dare fanatic you may already have one, but did you know that "Haynes Manuals" do a Dan Dare Pilot of the Future (Space fleet operations manual).

If not put this item number 362896601049 into an ebay search, it might just help if you don`t have one.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 19 July 2020 17:02:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Hello Derek.

Got that one long ago.
Many thanks though.BigGrin
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 20 July 2020 11:48:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

That's a brilliant idea Derek! And I'll be watching this one closely.Cool
There's one other 'vintage' craft I've always wanted to try and scratch build, probably using a 1/72 scale B29 Superfortress as the basis for the hull and that's the Imperial War Rocket Ajax from the Flash Gordon movie. I can hear it in my head right now - "SQUADRON FORE-TAYY - DEE-IVE!"
Ah, memories!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
tigerace
#5 Posted : 20 July 2020 14:31:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

GreatBigGrin looking forward to what you come up with Roy BigGrin

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Coser
#6 Posted : 21 October 2020 13:58:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Going to follow this one closely, I've always loved the ship and can't wait to see what you do with her.

Thank you for posting this thread.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 21 October 2020 17:29:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sounds a really good project Roy.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle something like this from scratch.

Good luck with it.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach