Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Young Miniatures 'The Viking' 1/10 Resin Bust YH1860. Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 26 July 2020 16:09:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, i have enrolled in a 'Modelling in a Day Workshop' for people wishing to improve their Figure Face Painting skills. Now i am the first to admit, my current level is zero, so any improvements will be welcome Laugh. Probably a bit harsh, but it's something i've never really done before. Soooo...I decided to do a little research into what i wanted to achieve.

My thoughts ran along the lines of ' well, i need a strong male and female face to work with as a starting point', and this led me to today's topic, Young Miniatures 'The Viking' 1/10 scale resin bust. I also bought Life Miniatures 'The Queen' as the female face, but will go into that in greater detail in a separate post.

So, first impressions of The Viking?
Well i think we would all agree that the box art is stunning! Even in black and white it creates a stunning image. Opening the box presents us with a well packaged product, and our first glimpse of what the miniature could look like once painted. The double sided card, with images painted by Kirill Kanaev, shows amazing attention to detail.

Once the kit is out of the box, you can see just how detailed this resin casting is! Starting with the head, the hair and beard are truly detailed ( i really hope it shows thru on the photos). The other facial features are just as impressive. The two rings in the ear, furrowed brow, and facial musculature and scarring stand out.

The cape on the torso takes this to another level! The fine detail in the fur is very evident. The necklace is a well detailed touch that adds extra interest, as well as the definition of the chest muscles.

The hand that grips the sword even has evidence of veining Drool

Overall, this is an impressive resin casting, that shows the skill of the original artist and their methods of reproduction. Being as there are only 7 pieces to assemble, the lack of instructions is understandable, as the box art shows how the figure should look.

So, my opinion? Gets a 10 from me and i am looking forward to seeing what i can learn on the course and put into practice on this miniature! These aren't cheap (this one was £45 + p&p), but money well spent if you ask me. And if i make a hash of the painting? Well i can always re-primer it and start again Laugh LOL Laugh

CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
1Q4A1178.jpg
1Q4A1179.jpg
1Q4A1180.jpg
1Q4A1181.jpg
1Q4A1182.jpg
1Q4A1183.jpg
1Q4A1184.jpg
1Q4A1185.jpg
1Q4A1186.jpg
1Q4A1187.jpg
1Q4A1188.jpg
1Q4A1189.jpg
1Q4A1190.jpg
1Q4A1191.jpg
1Q4A1192.jpg
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 26 July 2020 20:51:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gray, BigGrin

That`s one very nice bust. Cool Cool Cool

Its also good to see that the skin has some texture in the moulding rather than being perfectly smooth.

If I may be so bold, I can highly recommend the following brushes (yes I have some), they are Winsor and Newton "Series 7" sizes 0,1 and 3. These are not cheap, but you get what you pay for with brushes and the three I have purchased are only used for figure/face painting.

Unfortunately Winsor Newton are not dispatching orders at this time (Covid 19), but they are available at places that still have stock. A quick web search will bring up lots of options.

Hope this helps

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 26 July 2020 21:47:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Thanks for the advice Del, I’ll certainly have a look at those brushes ThumpUp
As a complete novice with this type, I’ll gladly take any advice or tips given.

Cheers Gray
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 27 July 2020 09:14:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Gray

Very nice bust. Love There is plenty of detail that will be highlighted and really bring him to life. As Derek said don’t scrimp on the brushes, that the first thing they teach you and the brushes will last years if you look after them well. I recently bought a large soldier figure which I will be doing at some stage and you are right they are not cheap.

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#5 Posted : 27 July 2020 15:53:36

BigGrin This miniature painting lark is actually quite interesting once you start delving into it! Some of the resin casts are truly outstanding.

That large military figure sounds interesting too Mark. Can't wait to see you start on that ThumpUp (having seen your dioramas I know you'll make a grand job of it).

I'd better start saving up for some decent brushes then Laugh LOL Laugh