Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Admiral Ozzel's final command (Or Coser builds a Star Destroyer) Options
Coser
#21 Posted : 21 October 2020 14:11:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I have the washes I ordered, and have added them to the spare bridge rear section I have been using to test the paint.

I now know that this will have to be done after the filter layer, and am kicking myself accordingly. It's raining again today, so I can't go out and put that on.

So in the meantime, here is the miniscule amount of progress I have actually made.

The four washes with the part I am testing on. Black, Dark Grey, Grey, and Light Grey.

And the effects on the part. Again, from left to right, Black, Dark Grey, Grey, and Light Grey.

The one I am happiest with is the Dark Grey. For some reason the Grey seems lighter than the Light Grey, although this may be remedied by repeated applications, I want to do it in as little passes as possible.

The Black just seems too dark for application over the filter layer, and I now don't really want to muck about doing that, then the filter layer, and them maybe having to re-do some of the wash.

I may use some of the Light Grey in the hangar bays, to make it more apparent that they are brightly lit, or I may add some really thinned down Black to add stark shadows.

Please let me know your thoughts on this, am I doing the correct thing?

EDIT:

I applied the washes separately, Light and Dark Grey in their respective areas first. I gave it a few minutes, then moistened a cotton bud with the flow improver, and wiped it across the details. This removed any wash that was stuck on the raised areas, and by going across the panel lines rather than along them was able to keep them with the wash in them.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
Coser
#22 Posted : 23 October 2020 07:00:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

And as I had a dry day yesterday, I was able to get out and finalise the paint on the main hull sections.

This is now with the filter layer added smoothing over the dark patches on the hull. Next stage is to

add in the wash. On the flat, hull areas I have currently worked on, this is a nice accentuation of the panel lines that are on the model, whilst still being subtle. My light and camera have washed out the colour difference some, however.

I hope to finish off the upper and lower hull sections today, and maybe even start on the raised hull structure, where I hope to get a comparable amount of wash left at the end of the process.

Once the wash is complete, I will spray some satin varnish on it as there are no decals to worry about, then re-open the two hull halves and install the lighting rig.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Markwarren
#23 Posted : 24 October 2020 08:25:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Some very nice detail in this kit. Nice work.Love

Mark
Coser
#24 Posted : 24 October 2020 17:50:52

Thanks Mark.

Yes, Bandai have done an excellent job on this one. I really ought to shake a leg and get to work on the neck as there isn't much more to do once I have finished the wash and varnish. I hope to have the main hull pieces done on Monday, so after that it'll be installing the light system and buttoning her up. The upper decks, neck, and bridge all come off to switch the lights on or off and change the batteries, so that can get treated as a separate section anyway.

Gary
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#25 Posted : 02 November 2020 06:22:42

And I'm royally [Censored]. The side I had already done was looking nice and I was happy with it. I must have used the wrong bottle for the other side, and the panel lines are black.

Suffered migraines last week, so got nothing done. Now have to use more of my flow improver and a brush to remove the black wash, then once that has dried, re-do that to get the same look as the first session.

Current Builds

Finished Builds