Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
1:24 Smokin Dragster ( Another Stage Closer) Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 06 August 2020 13:18:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Well this is me well and truly out of my comfort zone. Crying Crying

Adaptation of kits is not something I usually do, but this kit screams "Do something different".

So I purchased this 1:24 scale Funny Car Dragster. I think its a 1991 kit of the 1989 car.

Here`s what I intend to "TRY":

Not in any particular order as lots of planning/tests still to do.

Make a dio base showing the start line of a drag strip.

Build the car (Minus the rear axle and wheels/tyres)

Make a new rear axle with an electric motor and drive chain that works from underneath the dio base, so the wheels are spinning just clear of the baseboard.

Mount the car over the new rear axle and wheels so the motor doesn`t shake the kit to pieces.

Finally, fit a smoke generator under the base with an outlet positioned underneath each rear tyre.

I should then hopefully have a SMOKIN DRAGSTER.

Some pics attached below:

1 and 2 show box artwork

3 Main body and chassis parts

4 Chrome parts

Other parts will be seen as build happens

5 How I envisage the rear axle and smoke to be set up. This may well change when I get testing.

Fingers crossed. LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1 Kit.jpg
2 Kit.jpg
3 Main parts.jpg
4 Chrome.jpg
5 Smoking dragster.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 06 August 2020 14:15:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Interesting project Del, I'm sure you can pull it off ThumpUp
Certainly plenty to keep you out of mischief Laugh
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 06 August 2020 16:01:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool idea .Will be watching this with interest

Carl

Gandale
#4 Posted : 06 August 2020 21:53:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Certainly different for you Derek and one that is going to be interesting to follow.. Look forward to seeing how it all comes together...Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 07 August 2020 09:59:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to this Derek.Love Very interested on how this comes together. Fire extinguishers at the ready.šŸ˜‚LOL

Mark
kpnuts
#6 Posted : 07 August 2020 10:10:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What a great idea, Iā€™m in.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 07 August 2020 15:15:25

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi, BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks to those who have shown interest in this idea. Cool

I have today made a start on some of the basics of the kit that won`t be affected by the conversion I intend to make. The engine is just placed on its frame at the moment, as more bits to fit before it gets fixed for good.

Looking at the way the rear axle is attached in the normal manner of things, I see no reason if the conversion does not work why I won`t be able to end up with a decent model at the end.

I have attached a pick of the basics done to date.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
6 engine on frame.jpg

roymattblack
#8 Posted : 09 August 2020 09:02:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Sounds like it's going to be a fun project.
Hopefully you'll post a video clip of the finished piece in action.BigGrin
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 09 August 2020 09:10:15

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Derek. Love Now the challenge really begins, but I know you have a cunning plan.LOL Flapper

Mark
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 09 August 2020 15:27:22

roymattblack wrote:
Sounds like it's going to be a fun project.
Hopefully you'll post a video clip of the finished piece in action.BigGrin

Thanks for looking in Roy. Cool

There will def be a video, but have lots of testing to do with electric motor speed, mounting of the rear axle, height of rear tyres from surface board, how to fix the main body etc etc, but will be trying to explain this all as things progress.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#11 Posted : 09 August 2020 15:33:29

Markwarren wrote:
Nice start Derek. Love Now the challenge really begins, but I know you have a cunning plan.LOL Flapper

Mark

Hi Mark, BigGrin

Not sure yet whether they are cunning plans or just cunning ideas (yet to be proven)LOL LOL

Only time will tell.Blink

I will post my thanks to Mark now for the ideas on some of the electronics and thoughts on what could go wrong, ie "DON`T shake the main body to bits". I`m with you on that one.Flapper

Thanks again.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

tigerace
#12 Posted : 09 August 2020 18:14:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Awesome idea Drool Drool really looking forward to this DerekCool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

delboy271155
#13 Posted : 09 August 2020 22:15:19

tigerace wrote:
Awesome idea Drool Drool really looking forward to this DerekCool

Regards PhilCool

Hi Phil, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and your comments. Appreciated as always.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#14 Posted : 09 August 2020 22:37:50

Hi All, BigGrin

So, done a bit more of the basics today. Blink

Drivers seat, roll cage, a lever thing that looks like it should be in a steam train Confused.

Engine still not fixed as the next section involves lots of work on the front end. Parts include:Fuel cell, front impact bar, stub axles, oil filters and fire extinguishers.

At this point I have noticed that you fit the engine and the debris side panels of the cockpit next. Somehow you then fit a fuel pipe between the fuel tank and engine. Unless you cut the pipe in half that won`t happen Crying , so will fit the pipe and engine at the same time.

That`s all for next time, so happy modelling.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
7 seat and roll cage.jpg
8 seat and engine in position.jpg

mogwai
#15 Posted : 10 August 2020 12:01:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi nice idea,hope all goes to plan,nice start cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
delboy271155
#16 Posted : 10 August 2020 18:55:13

mogwai wrote:
Hi nice idea,hope all goes to plan,nice start cheers mick.BigGrin

Hi Mick, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in. Cool The plans are very fluid at the moment, as I`m coming across some kit issues and things I need to change for what I need to do that are throwing up their own issues. The good thing is that I don`t think there is anything that can`t be resolved as yet. (He says holding his breath)LOL

Happy modelling,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#17 Posted : 10 August 2020 19:06:04

Hi all, BigGrin

This is the latest update.

I`ve done some work on the front end as described in a previous post.

The two pics show the front end additions and a closer shot to show the detail.

Next update will be the final fix of the engine, some pipe work, then steering linkage and the finishing details of the driver controls.

After that I`m in unknown territory when I have to start on building the base and rear wheel drive system, inc electronics etc.

See you soon with the next update all being well.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
9 front end.jpg
10 front end detail.jpg

delboy271155
#18 Posted : 11 August 2020 17:22:29

Hi All, BigGrin BigGrin

Decided on an in between update from the last info posted. Reason being that its getting a bit crowded in the drivers area and you won`t possibly some of what is in there. Blink Blink

You will notice a few places where the paintwork needs touching up, but my preference is to do this in a single session, working from one end of the model to the other.

Next update: Dash, steering gear from front wheels to Driver controls.

Pics attached below are as follows:

1: The engine finally fixed in position with the associated pipe work.

2: The gear shift which is mounted from the gearbox to the front of the drivers seat frame. Not good if anything breaks Crying

3: The drivers zone before the addition of the dashboard and steering gear.

Happy modelling.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
11 engine and pipes fixed.jpg
12 Gear Shift.jpg
13 Drivers zone.jpg

kpnuts
#19 Posted : 11 August 2020 19:57:08

Looking great del
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Markwarren
#20 Posted : 11 August 2020 20:19:58

Nice work Derek, you are certainly cracking on with this.Cool

Mark