Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <12345>»
1:24 Smokin Dragster ( Another Stage Closer) Options
delboy271155
#41 Posted : 24 August 2020 15:14:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Well the dragster (not the body shell) is as complete as it can be till I sort the assembly of the motor to drive the back axle. For now I have attached the first pic which is the dragster with the rear wheels in place but not connected (front wheels connected).

Pic 2 (attached) is the smoke generator that arrived this morning. (Some adaptation required for full operation).

Bits on order and due to arrive very soon (delivery services pending) are as follows:

DC motor in a mount with a geared axle.

Heavy duty nylon axle bearers.

A driver figure that will be converted into the required Fireman.

The second vehicle (Top Fuel Dragster).

Working on and getting some positive results are:

Power supplies.

Female figures

Pit crew - working the start line, so will need to be adapted.

Therefore more to follow soon.

Happy building

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
25 Full underbody dragster.jpg
26 Smoke Generator.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#42 Posted : 24 August 2020 16:32:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work DerekLove Love Putting a lot into this, going to look great. Cool

Mark
delboy271155
#43 Posted : 24 August 2020 20:45:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Markwarren wrote:
Nice work DerekLove Love Putting a lot into this, going to look great. Cool

Mark

Hi Mark, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in. Cool

I`m putting a lot into this dio, but it would be the same whether the "Smokin" bit works or not as I want to create a full blown dio of the start line for a drag strip.

Still have a few undisclosed ideas of what could be added.Flapper Flapper

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Kev the Modeller
#44 Posted : 24 August 2020 20:48:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Making some nice progress with this build Derek and a very cool idea for a dio. I hope it all works out as planned for you.

Well done so far. Cool ThumpUp

KevSmile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
delboy271155
#45 Posted : 24 August 2020 22:02:57

Thanks for looking in Kev and as always I appreciate your input.

Cool Cool Cool

Many Thanks

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#46 Posted : 25 August 2020 15:33:10

Hi All, BigGrin

The first of a few awaited deliveries arrived this morning. Cool Cool

This is the figure that is intended to be a 1960`s racing driver in 1:24 scale.

I have started his transformation already, so he`s been under the knife.LOL

First I removed the lapels from his open drivers suit (not good for a fireman to have an opening in his protective suit), then removed the peak from his crash helmet.

Finally for today on this part of the project I formed up the basic shape of his fireman's head gear with some milliput having attached his head. Hopefully tomorrow I can refine that work and crack on with working how his hands will be fixed when I`ve scratch built his fire fighting equipment.

Three pics attached:

1: The kit as supplied (Driver)

2: The modified head gear

3: As it is now (Fireman)

Hopefully more deliveries tomorrow. Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
27 Driver Figure.jpg
28 Close-up conversion.jpg
29 Now Fireman.jpg

mogwai
#47 Posted : 25 August 2020 16:04:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi all coming together very nicely ,cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Markwarren
#48 Posted : 25 August 2020 17:11:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Plastic surgeon now, no end to your talent.LOL Nice work, looking good.Love

Mark
delboy271155
#49 Posted : 25 August 2020 22:41:54

Thanks for those who looked in and the comments above.

Cool Cool Cool

@ Mark: I never thought about a career as a plastic surgeon, but as I still have eight fingers and two thumbs and I`m not leaking any blood LOL then anything is possible. So who`s first ?? I`m a trained first-aider HONEST!!! Flapper

Next update soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#50 Posted : 26 August 2020 20:44:34

Hi all, BigGrin

Well today`s delivery was the second vehicle, the rear engine Pro-Fuel class dragster.

The first pic is the box artwork, but the colour is bright Red and not the orange colour as it shows (pic from the seller of the kit) I`ll try and get a better one later.

I`ve made a small start on this part of the build with the main engine section, constructed, primed and painted the base aluminium colour.

Hoping the rest of the hardware ordered will be here by the end of the week.Blink

More asap.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
24 Top Fuel Dragster.jpg
30 Pro-Fuel engine.jpg

delboy271155
#51 Posted : 27 August 2020 19:48:18

Hi All, BigGrin

Good day for deliveries today. Cool Cool

Firstly the updated pic of the artwork of the Pro-Fuel Dragster, it now looks Red rather than the burnt Orange of the previous pic. LOL

Then two pics of today`s deliveries:

Pic 2: A 6 volt dc power supply for the motor to run the rear axle, plus socket and switch. (I bought two sockets and switches and already have a 12v dc supply for the smoke generator)

Pic 3: The 3 or 6v dc geared motor and axle supports (if needed).

Latest work update:

Pic 4 : Done a bit more to the Pro-Fuel engine, with more detailing to come soon.

Until then, keep safe and happy modelling.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
31 New Artwork.jpg
32 Power Hardware.jpg
33 Geared motor & supports.jpg
34 Pro Fuel Engine 2.jpg

delboy271155
#52 Posted : 28 August 2020 19:13:57

Hi All, BigGrin

Today`s update.

Have added some detail to the front face of the Pro-Fuel engine. (Pic 1)

Primed loads of parts for the second vehicle (Pro-Fuel, no pics)

Then turned my attention to the fireman figure.

Painted his suit, made his mask with some acetate and made the fixing points with two cut off brass pin heads. (Pic 2 and 3)

Also working on the way to mount the motor and rear axle, but more on that later.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
35 Engine front update.jpg
36 fireman mask.jpg
37 full fireman suit.jpg

tigerace
#53 Posted : 28 August 2020 20:17:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow nice work Derek Cool love the fire marshalDrool Drool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

delboy271155
#54 Posted : 28 August 2020 22:25:38

tigerace wrote:
Wow nice work Derek Cool love the fire marshalDrool Drool

Regards PhilCool

Hi Phil, BigGrin

Many thanks for looking in and your comments.

I am pleased with the way the fire marshal turned out (so far). The guy who sold the figure to me was impressed at the rough change shown earlier and he said it reminded him of his days in the forces as a crashed plane recovery operator. That`s more than praise enough for me. Blushing Blushing

Will be interesting how his fire fighting equipment turns out, as that will be a total scratch build job and that`s not something I`m used to doing.Blink

We`ll see when it happens.

Thanks again.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#55 Posted : 29 August 2020 19:44:52

Hi All, BigGrin

Have made some good progress on the Pro-Fuel Dragster today.

Pic 1:

Shows the frame front end, with the electrics box at the sharp end, followed by the Front axle and steering rack, then the fuel tank behind that. The steering control rod passes through a gap in the fuel tank, with the fuel lines going along the floor of the frame.

Pic 2:

Shows the rear of the frame with the cockpit controls and the fuel lines at the rear.

Pic 3:

This shows the completed engine and shows where the fuel pumps will attach to the fuel lines. There are two large frame extensions to fit that will hold the engine and rear axle at a later stage.

That`s it for today. Flapper

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

38 front frame pro fuel.jpg
39 rear frame pro fuel.jpg
40 fuel connection at engine.jpg

Markwarren
#56 Posted : 30 August 2020 08:54:38

Very nice work Derek, just catching up on the build. Love Love Very nice work on the fireman and the engine, and that motor mount looks good. Looking forward to your next instalment.Cool

Mark
delboy271155
#57 Posted : 30 August 2020 15:40:44

Thanks for those looking in and Mark for your comments. Cool Cool

I made a start on the electrics/mechanics of this today.Blink Blink First thing was to make a temporary test bed to see how things planned out.

Now that was the easy bit. Crying Crying Crying

The shaft of the motor is 3mm diameter and I want to secure the wheels with micro nuts when I thread the drive shaft, only issue was that the tap and die set I have only goes up to 2.5mm Cursing. Now ordered an extension set which will cover a lot more sizes and not much more expensive than buying one die with the larger size handle.

For the picture attached of the test jig, I rested the wheel on the axle with the intention of seeing how the smoke went round the wheel (with it stationary). Note: The motor will be mounted in a vertical orientation on the actual dio to save space under the car. So connected the smoke generator to a lower voltage output than prescribed to give minimal smoke output and it all looked good. THEN 20 seconds later a big pop and a flash and the smoke element was no more. Crying Crying Crying

Back to the suppliers on Tuesday to see what can be done.Blink

In the meantime I`ll continue with the rest of the build.BigGrin BigGrin

More to come soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

41 Smoke Set-up.jpg

delboy271155
#58 Posted : 01 September 2020 13:29:15

Hi all,BigGrin

Well I`ve contacted the seller of the smoke unit and am awaiting their response. So I thought in the mean time I`d get the fireman finished.

Must have been something clicked in my head about a fire.LOL LOL

Fire cylinder was made from wooden dowel and the trolley from heavy gauge wire. The gauge at top of cylinder was a jewellery bead fixing pin, with the trolley prop and extinguisher nozzle from milliput putty. Finally made the hose from a length of heat shrink that had a length of wire in it to stop it kinking.

Picture has been attached below, showing him ready for action.

Hope to have the smoke generator unit issue sorted by the end of the week.Blink Blink

Stay safe.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
42 Fireman in action.jpg

Markwarren
#59 Posted : 01 September 2020 18:57:05

Nice work Derek, that fire cylinder looks great. Love Love

Shame he didn’t have that at the ready a few days ago.LOL

Glad you’ve got the smoke generator sorted.ThumpUp

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#60 Posted : 01 September 2020 20:33:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A nice bit of scratchbuilding with the fireman and his equipment. You have to be happy with that Derek especially as I think you said earlier in the build that scratchbuilding was out of your normal comfort zone?

Well done, looking good.

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra