Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Type of glue needed?? Options
JonD
#1 Posted : 18 August 2020 18:51:40

Groups: Registered

Well kind of hitting wall on metal swing for DC-3. I am building pack 3 now and I am still having problems with glue type needed to stick the metal skin to the wood ribs and stingers. I have tried three types of contact cement and not having good luck. It seems to work at first but the bond is weak and very easy to come off. I have use d super glue on first two packs and it seems to work but working with this type of glue is less that ideal. and the contact cement was suggested in instructions but may not have found the type that works.
I am sanding the metal surface but not helping the stick factor. Any suggestions of type of glue to use? Also fitting of the skin may need clamping but placement is not easy suggestions of process would be nice if you have found a method>?

Thanks
Jon Demere
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 18 August 2020 19:23:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

JonD wrote:
Well kind of hitting wall on metal swing for DC-3. I am building pack 3 now and I am still having problems with glue type needed to stick the metal skin to the wood ribs and stingers. I have tried three types of contact cement and not having good luck. It seems to work at first but the bond is weak and very easy to come off. I have use d super glue on first two packs and it seems to work but working with this type of glue is less that ideal. and the contact cement was suggested in instructions but may not have found the type that works.
I am sanding the metal surface but not helping the stick factor. Any suggestions of type of glue to use? Also fitting of the skin may need clamping but placement is not easy suggestions of process would be nice if you have found a method>?

Thanks
Jon Demere

Hi Jon, BigGrin

When I built the official build of the DC3 I used EVO-STIK TIMEBOND. The version I used was the Adjustable Contact Adhesive. (You don`t want the instant version)

If you can get this in the US I can recommend it. Follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter, ie: no dust on the parts, apply to both parts, wait till tacky and gently position in place and then apply even pressure. At this point the contact is near permanent and becomes rock solid in 24 hours. Mine has held together for years.

I applied mine with a wooden cocktail stick as it can flow out of the tube faster than required.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"