Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Help on Issue 32 Options
slimguy
#1 Posted : 25 August 2020 02:41:59

Groups: Registered

I am presently on issue 32 and I have reached an issue that I need some advice on. In step sequence 22 I can't seem to get the JP04 screw to bite deep enough into the steering rack mounting when securing the right hand lower brace. I have not stripped the hole in the steering rack mounting as I can start a JP04 screw directly into that hole and it will bite. The issue seems to be that the JP04 screw is not long enough to pass through the right-hand lower brace and still provide enough travel to bite into the steering rack mounting and thus secure both parts in place. I secured the steering rack mounting with another JP04 screw in step 23 so I feel that part is fully aligned correctly. It just feels like I need a longer screw for step 22. Any help or ideas about this? Can I use an alternate screw to secure the right hand lower brace? If so what might that be, or any other ideas on how to secure the right hand lower brace without any adverse impact to other steps down the road. Thanks
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 25 August 2020 09:06:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Hello there.

I have built two of these models but I don't remember any problems with this part of the build.
Have you got the bracket properly located in place?
If one side of the bracket is sitting a bit proud of the mating surface, the screw will seem to be too short.

Roy.
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 25 August 2020 09:54:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Slimguy, BigGrin

I had an issue at about this point in the build and it was caused by a distorted subframe from issue 23. I hadn`t noticed the problem until later on when I had trouble fitting another part. At the time (over two years ago) it appeared I was the only person with the problem and a replacement subframe cured the issue.

It may/may not be the problem in your case but its something worth checking.

I have attached a pic of my faulty subframe with the bad area indicated.

If you are still having an issue and the frame is ok, try and post some pics of the problem area as it may help others diagnose your problem.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

slimguy
#4 Posted : 25 August 2020 22:54:08

Thank you Derek and Roy for the responses to my problem here. Derek, I did not notice anty obvious issues with the subframe and after spending another hour trying to secure this screw, Roy I feel I have the parts seated correctly. Albeit I realize the tolerances are small and my eyesight is not what it used to be. But even using the optivisor they look to be in alignment. I have attached a few pictures of the right hand lower brace which seems defect free to my eyes. I have attached a few pics of the right hand lower brace in place which seems to fit level . I have attached a few pictures of the steering rack mounting in place attached with the second JP04 screw which I am able to tighten down ( step 23). I have tried to get some pictures of the steering rack mounting hole that mates to the right hand lower brace, which looks to be level and flush with the subframe. Any help from you fellows would be really appreciated. Having spent two hours on this one screw has me at my wits end.

Some thoughts going through my mind are a longer screw, perhaps shaving the bottom portion of the right hand lower brace so that the JP04 screw does not have to travel so far, or even using epoxy to affix the right hand lower brace since the second screw in step 23 is securing the steering rack mounting in place. These fixes seem extreme and I am concerned of unintended consequences in later sections of the build when one deviates from the original engineered design.
File Attachment(s):
image.jpeg (58kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
image.jpeg (67kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
image.jpeg (135kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
image.jpeg (91kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
image.jpeg (84kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
image.jpeg (393kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
image.jpeg (80kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
image.jpeg (315kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
image.jpeg (78kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
image.jpeg (91kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 25 August 2020 22:56:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I'm having problems getting the images to show. I'll try again later.#
slimguy
#6 Posted : 25 August 2020 23:14:47

Thanks Roy...hopefully you can see the images and give me some idea of what the issue might be...besides "operator error" on my part...smile
slimguy
#7 Posted : 26 August 2020 02:31:06

Roy and Derek. Thanks again for your help with my issue with regards to attaching the right hand lower brace to the steering rack mounting in Issue 32 steps 20 thru 22. As I indicated earlier, I was able to attach the steering rack mounting with the second JP04 screw in step 23 and that fully secured the steering rack mount. Because it was secure I was able to successfully install the steering column and the steering rack assembly and all seems really tight and secure. The issue now is the darn right hand lower brace. Looking ahead I see that this brace attaches to the bulkhead. I did some text fitting of the bulkhead to the frame. It requires some slight torque to get all points of the frame into the bulkhead but I am able to fit them all except the missing right hand lower brace.

My question for you both is that it really looks like I am going to be unsuccessful in attaching that brace without some adjustment, given the fact that I have labored over getting this screw in now for several hours. I tried finding an alternate screw at my local hardware store with no avail. My available options would seem to be filing down the end of the right hand brace to shorten the travel of the screw into the hole of the steering rack mounting or just using epoxy to secure it in place. If I use the file approach I fear I may change the angle of the brace such that it may require to much torque to mate it with the bulhead. If I us epoxy I fear it may not hold up to the limited torque required to mate it with the bulkhead. Right now I am leaning toward using expxy as the brace is limited to its sideways travel given its structure and its contact points with the rest of the frame. What do you think is my best option? It seems that once I get the right lower brace attached to the bulhead, I really no longer have to worry about it at that point. Once again thanks for your experience and expertise.
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 26 August 2020 20:57:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi, BigGrin

This may seem like a stupid question, but is the brace distorted or mis-shaped in any way?

As for your options I would certainly hold off using epoxy at this stage. You don`t know if you may have to take it apart again if this issue causes another further down the line.

When you come to fitting the bulkhead, see then if the brace can be fixed to all parts it needs to be and then make a decision as to how you proceed.

Hope this makes sense.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

slimguy
#9 Posted : 27 August 2020 00:12:36

Dereck. Thank you for the response. I looked at the brace very carefully and it does not look like it is distorted in any way. But I will take another look this evening. I agree with you about the epoxy, and that it is a risk so I may hold off as you suggest and wait until I am ready to mate the frame with the firewall. If it looks like it aligns itself well, snd I have not otherwise solved the issue I will epoxy it at that time. In the interim I am going to try to locate a longer screw. Were you at all able to see my pictures? I had a devil of a time uploading them from my IPad. But I had several shots of the brace. If you cant see them I will try to repost the pics from my PC tomorrow...thanks for your help
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 27 August 2020 17:23:33

slimguy wrote:
Dereck. Thank you for the response. I looked at the brace very carefully and it does not look like it is distorted in any way. But I will take another look this evening. I agree with you about the epoxy, and that it is a risk so I may hold off as you suggest and wait until I am ready to mate the frame with the firewall. If it looks like it aligns itself well, snd I have not otherwise solved the issue I will epoxy it at that time. In the interim I am going to try to locate a longer screw. Were you at all able to see my pictures? I had a devil of a time uploading them from my IPad. But I had several shots of the brace. If you cant see them I will try to repost the pics from my PC tomorrow...thanks for your help

Hi, BigGrin

I think you are taking the safest route by not using epoxy at this stage.

I can indeed see your pics although I do have to download them. The reason your pics are showing as downloads is that the file size is to large for the forum.

Edit your pics to a maximum width of 650 pixels and they will show up on the forum.

Sometimes the pics need to be refreshed via the page refresh button, but they will show and not be downloads.

Hope this helps and "Good Luck" going forward with your build.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

slimguy
#11 Posted : 13 September 2020 23:50:58

Derek and Roy. I think I solved my problem with the lower brace. I found a micro screw that was a tad bit longer than the one provided. It seems to be holding in place. Not as tight as I would have wanted, but I think tight enough and once the bulkhead is in place I suspect everything will be secure adequately . Thanks again for your input on this issue.