Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

build Instructions Options
Antagonist
#1 Posted : 25 August 2020 03:18:23

Groups: Registered

Was wondering if there are better instructions somewhere?
first problem im having is where does the side planking between frames 12 and 16 end? at the frame 5 mm after 10mm after? and then is there a measurement for how far down to start the bottom planking????
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 25 August 2020 10:12:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Antagonist wrote:
Was wondering if there are better instructions somewhere?
first problem im having is where does the side planking between frames 12 and 16 end? at the frame 5 mm after 10mm after? and then is there a measurement for how far down to start the bottom planking????

Hi, BigGrin

Firstly, Welcome to the forum. Cool

With regard to your question, could you please indicate where abouts in the build instructions you are with your build. ie pack number and page/picture number. This will help someone give you the correct advise without having to search through the instructions.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Antagonist
#3 Posted : 25 August 2020 16:47:47

Well I'm not sure how to post pictures. I am finishing pack 2 and starting pack 3.
File Attachment(s):
20200825_113814.jpg (3,234kb) downloaded 53 time(s).
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 25 August 2020 22:21:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Antagonist wrote:
Well I'm not sure how to post pictures. I am finishing pack 2 and starting pack 3.

Hi again, BigGrin

Your picture has appeared as a download, which for now is not a problem. We can easily help you adjust/edit your pics so they will appear with no need to download.

Having looked at your pic and the pdf`s for the end of pack 2/start pack 3, it appears you are a lot further on than that. So I have a question: Are you on a 14 month or 28 month delivery schedule?

It seems that you are on 14 month in which case could you confirm that the attached picture below is the instruction you are referring too. If the picture doesn`t show you may have to refresh the page a couple of times.

Once we can track exactly where you are in your build then we can get one of our main ship builders to assist you.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
Surprise lower planks.jpg

Antagonist
#5 Posted : 26 August 2020 02:44:19

Going but the downloaded guide 4th to 5th
Antagonist
#6 Posted : 26 August 2020 07:15:12

So I can explain us5the picture you posted.
The lower planking is it two rows full planks off the upper planking? And then how far dow is that other piece? And is there any shaping that needs to be done to either? Second frames 12 and 16 for and aft are taller how for past these do I leave the planking?
magpie1832
#7 Posted : 26 August 2020 14:53:25

Hi,

I'm struggling to figure what you mean with your problem. Like mentioned pictures would help massively.

Here is a link to my build and see if it helps you what you need to do.

Chris

https://forum.model-spac...=posts&t=683&p=3
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Antagonist
#8 Posted : 26 August 2020 15:38:37

How far past this frame does the planking extend?
File Attachment(s):
20200826_103727.jpg (2,632kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 26 August 2020 19:57:47

Antagonist wrote:
How far past this frame does the planking extend?

Hi Again, BigGrin

I have looked as far forward as pdf for pack 16 and cannot find an exact measurement, but it appears that later on (about pack 15/16) these are trimmed when you finish the capping.

So having looked at your most recent picture, I would finish them at the same place/distance as you did on the other side of the hull. That should leave adequate material to work with when you get further on in your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Antagonist
#10 Posted : 26 August 2020 22:04:52

OK ty I wasn't sure how to word my question. And being from Canada I'm wondering if that added confusion to the pack numbers. As I am on a 6 month subscription. Second question in the pic you sent the darker coloured wood there is no real instructions on where to start or if there is any shaping needed any help would be appreciated
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 26 August 2020 22:22:49

Ahh, BigGrin

The six month subscription goes a long way to explain why we were not working from the same point. That option does not exist in the UK.Blink Blink

The darker coloured plank that appears to be in the middle of nowhere is a start point for the lower planking. I think the idea is to get it as close as possible to the picture and in a place where it sits flat on the ribs and follows its own line.

Then when you proceed with the rest of the lower planking, as you will see, you will always have some infill planks to shape and position to close up the hull.

One major rule of planking is "Do Not" force a plank to go where you want it. The flatter a plank can lay the better end result you will get and there will be less sanding. This will include the tapering of some planks so they lay neatly against the last plank laid.

Take a look at the official build of the Victory where the planking theories are more easily explained.

Hope this makes sense, but in the meantime I`ll try and find some links to the theories of planking this type of ship.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#12 Posted : 26 August 2020 22:31:48

Here`s a link on hull planking.

Lots of info / lots of reading time required.

http://modelshipworldfor...ingprojectbeginners.pdf

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Antagonist
#13 Posted : 26 August 2020 22:56:17

Thanks Derek I appreciate all the help.
magpie1832
#14 Posted : 26 August 2020 23:18:53

Antagonist wrote:
OK ty I wasn't sure how to word my question. And being from Canada I'm wondering if that added confusion to the pack numbers. As I am on a 6 month subscription. Second question in the pic you sent the darker coloured wood there is no real instructions on where to start or if there is any shaping needed any help would be appreciated

Start the sapele planking (dark wood) 12 rows down from the top of the lower ribs. Where you are asking about how far to leave the overhang them ribs are lower. You can make out 12 planks on my build.

Chris
magpie1832 attached the following image(s):
P9121542-1.jpg
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.