Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Kev's 1:48 'Voyager' Unmanned Space Probe. Options
darbyvet
#21 Posted : 09 September 2020 17:59:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

looks great.Nice work on the photoetched parts

Carl

Kev the Modeller
#22 Posted : 15 September 2020 11:03:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks for looking in and your great comments Mark and Carl, very much appreciated as always. The model is very intricate but it does have a certain strength and integrity when all of the components are combined.

Another update coming very soon. ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#23 Posted : 20 September 2020 21:27:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello all,

Next update!

I finished adding the remaining details to the science boom. On the top of the boom between the 'Cosmic Ray Detector' and the various cameras at the end of the boom, lies the 'Plasma Observation System'. This is the shallow pyramidal item in the photos below, which I modified slightly by cutting off a couple of solidly cast brackets and replacing them with small lengths of black stretched sprue to make a more realistic supporting framework. I also added a PE brass part from the Eduard set which adds a bit more refinement:

That PE part comes as a three sided piece which you are supposed to fold into a shallow pyramid, but it isn't the same size as the plastic kit part, so I had to separate the three sides from each other and glue them on as separate plates, though the angles are also out slightly, but it shouldn't really be obvious under paint. I also had to add a small box, scratchbuilt from plastic sheet, inside the brass boom which sits beneath the 'Plasma Observation System' which meant carefully removing a small brace in one of the sections of the PE brass boom. This box is quite obvious on the real probe but was missing in the kit as it wouldn't be visible inside the solid plastic boom as supplied. The last real parts to add to this boom were a small bracket underneath the boom, just behind the 'Low Energy Charged Particle Detector' and a small piece of white plastic card to help the boom support rod in keeping things level:

Next job was to replace the two rather thick (and fragile) plastic rods that are supplied in the kit as the 'Planetary Radio Astronomy and Plasma Wave Antennae':

I cut off the fixing brackets and the small round end caps then micro-drilled them to accept lengths of floristry wire, which was more of a scale thickness and helpfully coated in a green plastic which would also help with paint adhesion later. They will be glued in place right at the end of the build:

I then assembled the various parts of the 'High Gain Antenna' dish, added the various PE brass parts supplied in the Eduard set and a couple of wires that are also supplied as PE brass but they were flat and 2D, I wanted something more realistic so used some thin fuse wire instead:

The photos below show how the Antenna dish looks when it is temporarily joined to the main 'Electronics Bus Housing'. Starting to look like a probe now!:

Then came what I thought would be the most difficult part of this build, which was bending and assembling the very long PE brass replacement for the solid plastic 'Magnetometer Boom'. In reality this boom is approximately 13 metres in length, which still makes it quite long in 1:48 scale! The very fragile PE parts were removed from their frames on the PE sheet and carefully cleaned up so that the edges could fold neatly. This boom was supplied in the sheet as two equal lengths and would have to be joined BUT with very little surface to glue them together and still maintain any kind of rigidity! I decided to use the same system that I devised for the smaller 'Science Boom' which involved gluing 0.2mm diameter brass tubing inside the corners. However I only glued the tube as a full length piece in the corner where the triangular frame has it's open edges coming together and then added shorter length in the other two corners to act as supporting rods at the central joint. When this was all glued together using thin CA glue, it was actually quite strong and fairly difficult to see the central joint! I let that set for a few minutes then very carefully twisted the boom so that one end was rotated 120 degrees along it's length as per the real thing - that was a bit of a sweaty moment! With that successfully accomplished I then added a couple of small scratchbuilt magnetometers out of white plastic card and rod, one right on the end of the boom and the other part way along it's length. The whole sequence for building this PE boom is shown in the photos below. See if you can spot the central joint in the fifth photo!:

Below are a few shots of this very long boom temporarily attached to the probe. Counting the 1cm squares on my cutting mat should give you an idea of how long this boom is!:

All of the main assemblies in the photos above are only placed together temporarily, and will next be disassembled, primed and painted before then being permanently glued back in place. I am thinking of maybe adding a few scratchbuilt cables and wires to enhance the model even further but undecided as yet. I may just leave it as it is, which is already nicely detailed.

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed.

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
delboy271155
#24 Posted : 20 September 2020 21:35:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent work with the etch, especially with the length of some of those pieces.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

This is going to be a lot bigger than I first envisaged.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#25 Posted : 21 September 2020 08:24:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Stellar work (excuse the pun)

It's amazing to think such a flimsy looking piece of hardware is still zooming along beyond our solar system.
Kev the Modeller
#26 Posted : 22 September 2020 20:16:56

Thanks for looking in and your kind comments Derek and Roy, very much appreciated as always. Cool ThumpUp

@ Roy - Loved the pun and very apt as both Voyagers are indeed 'interstellar' now, having left our solar system a while back and are now travelling at high speed between the stars! As you say, amazing that something so flimsy can be travelling that far and all based on 1970's technology! Wow! Huh Blink

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
tigerace
#27 Posted : 23 September 2020 20:23:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Outstanding Kev Drool Drool the etch is well worth it and you`ve done a great job on getting it all nice and crisp Drool Drool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#28 Posted : 24 September 2020 08:29:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work, and the Magnetometer boom looks very sturdy.Love Love Love Some very nice modelling skills.Love

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#29 Posted : 26 September 2020 22:02:02

Thanks Phil and Mark for looking in and your kind comments, very much appreciated as always. The Magnetometer boom is surprisingly sturdy as you say Mark, but VERY long! Gonna need to be very careful with it when I put it in the display cabinet. Blink

Everything has had a coat of Tamiya fine grey primer today, so hopefully I can start the painting proper tomorrow and lay down some colour. ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#30 Posted : 01 December 2020 23:30:25

Hi all,

Just to say that I haven't forgotten about this build, in fact I've done more to it since my last update, but I've not been at all well for several weeks (not Covid 19), and my father died a couple of weeks ago, so my mojo has been on the floor recently.

I will get back to this and bring it to a finish just as soon as I can. I have some commissioned artwork to finish first for a customer and then need to start a couple more paintings for a local gallery as well, but hoping to find some modelling time for this between now and the New Year.

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
birdaj2
#31 Posted : 01 December 2020 23:43:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Hi all,

Just to say that I haven't forgotten about this build, in fact I've done more to it since my last update, but I've not been at all well for several weeks (not Covid 19), and my father died a couple of weeks ago, so my mojo has been on the floor recently.

I will get back to this and bring it to a finish just as soon as I can. I have some commissioned artwork to finish first for a customer and then need to start a couple more paintings for a local gallery as well, but hoping to find some modelling time for this between now and the New Year.

Kev.

Kev

Really so sorry to hear your news and i wish you strength to get through a very difficult time.

I have had some down time with my own builds so know what you are feeling.

I will look forward to your next update as thats a cracking model you have there, but i do appreciate you need to take the the time and do what feels right for you.

Wishing you well Kev.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Kev the Modeller
#32 Posted : 02 December 2020 20:50:52

Many thanks for your kind and caring words Tony, very much appreciated as always.

I am looking forward to getting back to some modelling as soon as I can with renewed motivation and I hope that you too can find the inspiration and desire to continue with your own builds which I look forward to following again? As you say, taking the time to get oneself right is the most important thing and from that everything else will flow naturally?

Take care Tony and thanks again for your sympathies. ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Gandale
#33 Posted : 04 December 2020 00:11:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Kev, really sorry to hear the sad news and I know from experience just how difficult a time you're going through.... Thoughts and certainly with you....

Your Voyager build is looking superb, some great detail work being shown....Drool Drool ..

Look forward to seeing back up to full speed with your builds in the very near future.....

Best regards

Alan
Markwarren
#34 Posted : 04 December 2020 10:32:46

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Kev. So sorry to here about your news, it is never easy especially around this time of year. As a valued member of the forum, I’m sure everyone will be wishing you well to get though this difficult period.

All the best and we all look forward to seeing you back very soon. Mojo restored.

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#35 Posted : 04 December 2020 14:44:17

Thankyou very much Alan and Mark for your kind thoughts and sympathies, they're very much appreciated as always.

I am sure it won't take too long to restore my mojo and it won't take long to finish the Voyager build, as it's just final painting and assembly of sub structures. I have a great idea for a bespoke base to display that one on too.

I've also just had confirmation today that a long desired Model Factory Hiro (MFH) 1:12 Grand Prix car kit is still available from Japan. It has been paid for and will be on it's way in the next few weeks though could take as long as mid-January before it arrives! A very beautiful car and a very expensive kit, but one which will bring me great joy and happiness in building it - a guaranteed mojo restorer if ever there was one!

Watch this space. Drool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
tigerace
#36 Posted : 04 December 2020 15:36:22

so sorry to here the news Kev, hope you and your family are ok. all the best mate.

Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Coser
#37 Posted : 04 December 2020 20:14:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sorry to hear the sad news about your father. I know how difficult it can be at a time like this.

That said, the work you have put in on the Voyager is mighty impressive. Doubt I'd have the patience to put any of that work in these days, so seems amazing to me that you've stuck with it and done such an upgrade. Can't wait to see her painted and finished - but take your time. Nothing worse than spoiling the work you've done here just to finish it a bit quicker.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
tf64
#38 Posted : 04 December 2020 21:55:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev, that's a lot of work but what a result I think it looks very cool.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Kev the Modeller
#39 Posted : 06 December 2020 22:29:56

Many thanks for your kind sympathies and lovely comments about my work Phil, Coser and Trev, greatly appreciated as always. ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
delboy271155
#40 Posted : 05 January 2021 14:54:50

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Kev BigGrin

Congrats on your "green" medal award for being the featured build of the month for January 2021.

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"