Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Ronalds Stern Planking Problem Options
ronald305
#41 Posted : 21 September 2020 21:42:45

Groups: Registered

Ok Alan
I finished filling the right side of the stern with wood putty but had to spread some putty on the front because it was un even as seen in the photos
Ronald
ronald305 attached the following image(s):
thumbnail right side of stern done.jpg
Gandale
#42 Posted : 22 September 2020 21:55:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Ok Ronald, looks like we’re getting somewhere. The filler should be dry now so next you need to do some sanding. Take your time with this and keep checking the reference image (last pic) showing the shape you are trying to achieve.

Sand the area outlined in blue (first pic), using a rounded motion as shown in second pic. Do not remove material from the rib edge (shown in red). When you think you have achieved the desired curve then move on and do the same to the other side. Post pics when done....

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
4_LI.jpg
4_LI (3).jpg
V33-2_LI.jpg
admin
#43 Posted : 23 September 2020 14:08:15

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent illustrations, Alan! Thanks!
ronald305
#44 Posted : 23 September 2020 17:46:53

HI Alan
I just finished cleaning up and evening out the stern front when I notice you
sent me a new post, I'm sorry I must have missed the post with the 3 photos
with instructions to start sanding in certain areas as described, anyway I have
a photo showing the front of the stern cleaned up and even, also I wasn't
going to touch the top areas until you say so, but it looks like you got the
jumped on me LOL, so I guess I can start sanding the curved top, anyway what
you think of the front of the stern P.S. the shape in the last photo you want
me to achieve that goes for the whole stern all the way to the keel
right (second photo) it was the one with red cycle around it but wanted you to
view this one first
Ronald
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0368 (2).jpg (1,881kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
Gandale
#45 Posted : 24 September 2020 16:35:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Ok Ronald, it is rather pointless for me to give you instructions if you simply then decide to ignore the instructions given and do your own thing. You may have missed my last instruction with the three pics on the areas to work on but in post #36 I did say not to do any sanding just yet.

Now that you have started to shape the red area, do the same on the other side. Once done, I need 4 pics uploaded. One from either side looking square on, one looking straight at the stern and one looking straight down.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Regards

Alan
ronald305
#46 Posted : 24 September 2020 17:14:11

HI Alan
in my defense Sir. I have not ignored any of your instructions on the contrary I
did exactly what you told me to do and what not to do I did not shape the
red area as instructed I only sanded the areas you instructed to sand no more
less I will show you in the photos, along with the photos you want
Ronald
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0368 (2).jpg (1,881kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail finished sanding the stern 2.jpg
ronald305
#47 Posted : 24 September 2020 18:08:01

here are the other two photos
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0368 (2).jpg (1,881kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
thumbnail finished sanding the stern 3.jpg
thumbnail (1) straight down view.jpg
Gandale
#48 Posted : 24 September 2020 20:55:49

Hi Ronald, I need two pics taken from the side, square on. As shown by the red arrow on the pic below. I need to be able to see the profile of the stern from both sides

Regards

Alan
5_LI.jpg
ronald305
#49 Posted : 24 September 2020 21:20:19

ok Alan I see what you want are these good, the bottom left side photo is better
anyway I tried to get the bottom corners to look like the ones in the bottom photo in post 27 and 42 as much as much as I can where the first plank goes
Ronald
thumbnail (1) side view.jpg
thumbnail (1) side view.jpg 4.jpg
thumbnail (1) side view.jpg 2.jpg
ronald305
#50 Posted : 24 September 2020 21:22:06

ok Alan I see what you want
thumbnail (1) side view.jpg 3.jpg
Gandale
#51 Posted : 25 September 2020 20:45:23

Ok Ronald, thanks for posting the pics up, it really does help a great deal. Now I want you to have a go at preparing the first planks on either side. Carry out the steps in the instructions as shown in the pic below. Temporarily pin the planks in place and I would recommend you pre-drill the pin holes in the planks to prevent any splitting. Don’t pin the very end of the plank at the stern, it’ll be pinned if needed when you come to fit permanently and don’t glue anything in place.

I also want you to temporarily pin a plank along either side of the hull, roughly where the red lines are on the second pic. Don’t glue it down and don’t pin it to the stern rib.

Look forward to seeing the pics as usual.

Regards

Alan
6.JPG
7_LI.jpg
ronald305
#52 Posted : 25 September 2020 22:35:29

Hi Alan
I am trying to grasp what you are saying as far as the stern planks,( pre-drill holes along the planks),ok.do not pin the very end of the plank I understand that, but one tiny question can I pre-drill a hole near the end like rib 30 yes or no, but I do not understand your last instructions, you want me to pin planks where the red line is, but do not glue it and pin it to the stern rib is that correct, if so could you suggest certain ribs to pin the planks to so I can get the planks right, or can you tell me the two planks up top are they near the stern or in the middle like the last photo with the red marks on it, before I take any pictures, I want to get this right that is why I'm asking these questions
Ronald
Gandale
#53 Posted : 25 September 2020 23:58:52

Hi Ronald, on all your questions, do not pin to rib 30. I'm looking to see the flow of the planks when laid, looking for any dips or humps that may appear....

Regards

Alan
ronald305
#54 Posted : 26 September 2020 00:59:42

1) ok so the top planks you mention where the red mark is do you want them near
the stern right since you mentioned not to pin them to the stern rib it's the
only conclusion I came to, you are looking for dips or humps, I understand now
2) when doing the the first planks follow the instructions, but don't glue them
in place only pin the planks in place except near the very end, one question
since I am getting ready to place the first stern plank in place may I ask you
what method of bending you used for the tight turn at the corner did you use a
crimper for that because I saw indentations on the inside, if how did you do
that did you wet the planks, because I practiced on a few pieces wet and dry and
found out they crack when done dry and bent better when wet or damp, your input
please thank you
Ronald
ronald305
#55 Posted : 26 September 2020 18:13:49

Hello there
this question is for anyone who might be free to answer, I know that Alan is
mostly in charge of helping me with this post ( stern planking problem ) he
told me to continue with the next step (stage 33) which is adding the first
plank but do not glue it yet, reason I am asking other members who might want
to help incase Alan is busy with other things, I hope he doesn't mind, anyway
my confused questions is can anyone explain part 3 fitting the first stern
plank, it says do not cut to fit yet but shape one end to fit around stern
then trim off surplus after the curve end is finished leave a generous
overhang around 25mm and mark at frame 30<--- see that part is confusing to me
because if you view the photo the plank is marked at 30 alright, but it's not
cured yet, but part 4 is instructing to bend the plank and on how to bend it
ok so there you have it I tried to explain my confusion if anyone understands
my confusion about part 3 & 4 I would appreciate any assistance here either
from Alan or anyone so I can move on to taking photos for Alan thank you
Ronald

thumbnail (1) confuseing  steps.jpg
suey
#56 Posted : 26 September 2020 18:49:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Ronald, I do not want to interfere in any way with what Alan is trying to show/instruct you in. However there is a (incomplete!) set of videos on YouTube. They are NOT the DeAgostini Official Build but there are two episodes that cover what you are trying to do. Having a visual might help you understand 'a method' of how this bit might be done. Note I am not building the Victory myself.
The relevant videos are episodes 18 & 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...3HqOzD8Y3F2&index=18

Good luck!

Sue
ronald305
#57 Posted : 26 September 2020 19:17:36

thanks sue
I caught the video you told me about but he ahs already done the first stern plank and that is the plank I need help with
Ronald
Gandale
#58 Posted : 26 September 2020 19:34:59

Hi Ronald, in relation to your step 3 confusion. Where it says to not to cut to fit yet it means do not cut it at the end nearest the bow where it meets the previous plank on that row. The end of the plank nearest the bow will be cut to fit after you have the curved end of the plank completed.

Will be back to you very soon with my response to your other queries...

Regards

Alan
ronald305
#59 Posted : 26 September 2020 19:49:06

ok thanks Alan
for clearing that up for me
Ronald
Gandale
#60 Posted : 26 September 2020 20:51:43

ronald305 wrote:
1) ok so the top planks you mention where the red mark is do you want them near
the stern right since you mentioned not to pin them to the stern rib it's the
only conclusion I came to, you are looking for dips or humps, I understand now
2) when doing the the first planks follow the instructions, but don't glue them
in place only pin the planks in place except near the very end, one question
since I am getting ready to place the first stern plank in place may I ask you
what method of bending you used for the tight turn at the corner did you use a
crimper for that because I saw indentations on the inside, if how did you do
that did you wet the planks, because I practiced on a few pieces wet and dry and
found out they crack when done dry and bent better when wet or damp, your input
please thank you
Ronald

Question 1 – The planks you are temporarily fitting where the red lines are can overhang rib 30, just don’t pin to rib 30. Pin the planks in place on any ribs, it doesn’t matter which ones. Like I said, I’m simply looking at the flow of the hull to see if there are any dips or bumps.

Question 2 - First, think of the reason why planks break or crack when you are trying to bend them. This is usually down to the plank not being flexible enough and should be soaked more. For this bend I would certainly soak, not simply wet, soak the planks for at least 12 hours. The second reason would be you’re trying to force the bend into place rather than tease it into place. Take it slow and if you feel the resistance to the bend is too much then soak more.

The method I normally use is as follows:

Soak the planks, making sure they are flexible.

Use the plank bender and slowly tease the bend into place. If the plank dries out then soak for another 10 mins and do the same again.

If the bend needs to be tighter still then I’d start using a crimper to tease the bend required. With the crimper, ensure you use the blunt end of the blade, the sharp end is used for actually cutting planks. Also, don’t apply too much pressure when using the crimper, if you do then you’re likely to start crushing the wood rather than induce a bend.

When doing this first plank, get the bend done for both sides then lets take a look. Once the bend is correct then we can look at applying the twist. Don’t forget to chamfer the edge of the plank as shown in step 5.

Regards

Alan