Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Help please Victory question Options
Roeland
#1 Posted : 18 September 2020 18:58:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi

I have a question... next part of my build I have to install the main sail yard but the forward yard brace seems to be an interference with the sail? Is this normal?

Thank you
Roeland
Gandale
#2 Posted : 18 September 2020 21:22:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Roeland, can you advise the build stage you are working on and post up a pic showing the interference problem you are experiencing, it would help us.....

Regards

Alan
Roeland
#3 Posted : 19 September 2020 08:35:56

It will be the start of issue 108. I'm not there yet but I attach a picture me holding the main yard in position. The yard will fit but the fore yard brace will touch the sail. In reality I would see this as very impractical?
Roeland attached the following image(s):
main yard 1.jpg
Gandale
#4 Posted : 19 September 2020 12:40:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Roeland, am not seeing too much wrong here. For now, I think you should carry on with the build and lets look at it again when you have the main yard and sail fitted to the mast....

Regards

Alan
Roeland
#5 Posted : 19 September 2020 16:38:54

Hi Alan - thank you - I will be ready to start the main sail on Monday and will keep you in the loop.
Roeland
#6 Posted : 21 September 2020 14:31:01

I have another question relating to the stay sail sheet lines positions and fixing method. On the model they are fixed straight to eye bolts but I presume there would have been some blocks as well - refer to attached image.....?
Mizzen Staysail1.jpg
Gandale
#7 Posted : 22 September 2020 23:24:09

Although the instructions do not show the fitting of blocks there is no reason why you can't or shouldn't fit them, providing you've got spare blocks for the task. Down to personal preference here I think....

Regards

Alan
Roeland
#8 Posted : 28 September 2020 15:59:14

Gandale wrote:
Hi Roeland, am not seeing too much wrong here. For now, I think you should carry on with the build and lets look at it again when you have the main yard and sail fitted to the mast....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,
I fitted the main yard and you can see the 2 braces against the sail. Is this normal?
Thanks

Roeland
fore yard braces1.jpg
Gandale
#9 Posted : 29 September 2020 22:37:39

Hi Roeland, can you confirm the build stage number where you fitted to 2 braces giving concern?

Regards

Alan
Roeland
#10 Posted : 30 September 2020 13:57:26

Hi alan,

That was issue 106.

Regards

Roeland
Gandale
#11 Posted : 30 September 2020 16:06:10

Difficult for me to see for definite but looks as if you have terminated the braces at the wrong point. If it is line 'E' you're referring to (as per image below), can you confirm the braces are terminated on the cockpit rail?

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
Vic Braces.JPG
Roeland
#12 Posted : 01 October 2020 14:44:26

Sorry - I made a mistake - it is line G in issue 105.
Gandale
#13 Posted : 01 October 2020 15:27:48

Roeland wrote:
Sorry - I made a mistake - it is line G in issue 105.

Thanks for the clarification Roeland. As far as I can see the lifts and braces look just fine, not seeing anything wrong with them. In fact, I'd have to say I think you're doing a first class job with your build.... Very well done indeed....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Roeland
#14 Posted : 01 October 2020 15:44:26

Thanks Alan,

Does this mean these lines have a bit of slack when the wind blows in the main sail or do the lines restrain the sail under wind load?

Regards

Roeland