Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Missing parts Options
z8000783
#1 Posted : 01 October 2020 13:38:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Could an admin advise please?

I have just hit another problem with missing parts this time in Issue 85, the triple arch castings.

The instructions say there was a fault with the castings and that is correct, there is in mine. It also says that a replacement pack has also been included which hadn't.

My subscription to the Victory p artwork finished many years ago and CS appear to have no record of me any more and said I have to buy the missing issue last time. I was happy to do it thinking it would be a one off but it looks like there could be a number of these instances arising now.

Of course, if anyone has a spare triple arch from their build, I would be delighted to take it off their hands instead.

z8000783
#2 Posted : 03 October 2020 17:38:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Could an admin respond on best course of action please?

delboy271155
#3 Posted : 03 October 2020 17:54:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

z8000783 wrote:

Could an admin respond on best course of action please?

Hi John, BigGrin

Unfortunately, my Vic build is nowhere near to where you have reached, but do you know what the error in the triple arches was/is?

My thought is that the arches were not of the correct width. Confused

If too wide, would it be possible to cut and shorten the ones you have?

If too narrow, could you cut and insert an extension with either modelling putty or shape a plastic sprue from an old plastic kit.

Just another thought process to save you having to pay for more replacement parts (if you can get them).

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

z8000783
#4 Posted : 03 October 2020 19:13:02

Thanks for coming back Derek.

Well I may be wrong here so someone further on or an admin, please correct me if necessary, but this is how it seems to me.

The instructions show 3 triple arches with the requirement to trim half an arch off on the port and starboard sides. However. the pack contains the 3 arches already trimmed which would be great except that they have trimmed the same side. I guess this is true for everyone because they noticed this before completing the instructions where it explains the fault and they shipped another set of arches in the same pack. Now, I have no idea what the extra pack contains because that is missing in my issue.

So the bottom line is if anyone has a spare triple arch going, that would be great. I can trim it myself. If the extra part shipped was just the correct piece then I need to order another issue.

This all relates to issue #85. Hope that is vaguely clear.

admin
#5 Posted : 04 October 2020 04:53:56

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi John,

Shoot me a PM with your contact details. I’ll see what I can arrange.
z8000783
#6 Posted : 04 October 2020 07:24:01

admin wrote:
Hi John,

Shoot me a PM with your contact details. I’ll see what I can arrange.

Many thanks Mark, PM sent.

gingerale75
#7 Posted : 04 October 2020 08:41:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

z8000783 wrote:

Thanks for coming back Derek.

Well I may be wrong here so someone further on or an admin, please correct me if necessary, but this is how it seems to me.

The instructions show 3 triple arches with the requirement to trim half an arch off on the port and starboard sides. However. the pack contains the 3 arches already trimmed which would be great except that they have trimmed the same side. I guess this is true for everyone because they noticed this before completing the instructions where it explains the fault and they shipped another set of arches in the same pack. Now, I have no idea what the extra pack contains because that is missing in my issue.

So the bottom line is if anyone has a spare triple arch going, that would be great. I can trim it myself. If the extra part shipped was just the correct piece then I need to order another issue.

This all relates to issue #85. Hope that is vaguely clear.

Hi John,

As far as I remember I didn't have problem with the triple arch, at least I didn't mention it in my diary:
https://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&m=284175#post284175

I'll have a look in my spares department. If I have one I include it with the stanchions.
Which side would you need? Left or right? Sorry, I can never remember which one is port and starboard. LOL LOL
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
birdaj2
#8 Posted : 04 October 2020 10:06:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

John

While not ideal as some of the parts (i think) are expensive you might want to consider Shapeways as a fall back option.

They have various 1/84 scale victory parts.

I have purchased parts from them for a victory bow section kit so can certainly say they are exceptional auality.

Here is a link.

https://www.shapeways.co...ct&q=1%2F84+victory

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
z8000783
#9 Posted : 05 October 2020 10:17:41

birdaj2 wrote:
John

While not ideal as some of the parts (i think) are expensive you might want to consider Shapeways as a fall back option.

They have various 1/84 scale victory parts.

I have purchased parts from them for a victory bow section kit so can certainly say they are exceptional auality.

Here is a link.

https://www.shapeways.co...ct&q=1%2F84+victory

Tony

Many thanks Tony, that site seems like an Aladdin's cave of goodies but not the part I need on this occasion.

z8000783
#10 Posted : 05 October 2020 10:25:06

gingerale75 wrote:

Hi John,

As far as I remember I didn't have problem with the triple arch, at least I didn't mention it in my diary:
https://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&m=284175#post284175

I'll have a look in my spares department. If I have one I include it with the stanchions.

Which side would you need? Left or right? Sorry, I can never remember which one is port and starboard. LOL LOL

Hi again Laszio. It looks like you will make it onto my Preferred Supplier List after this.

There is a easy way to remember which side is which on a ship - 'There is no RED PORT LEFT in the bottle'

Hopefully the pic is clear. I have the starboard side arch twice.

So I need either the post version or the full triple which I can trim myself.

Hope that's clear and many thanks once again.

goddo
#11 Posted : 05 October 2020 20:35:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi John,
I haven't got this far yet to see if I have the same problem, but would it be feasible to turn one of the end sections over and with some TLC make it look correct? Just a thought.
Chris
z8000783
#12 Posted : 05 October 2020 20:39:16

goddo wrote:
Hi John,
I haven't got this far yet to see if I have the same problem, but would it be feasible to turn one of the end sections over and with some TLC make it look correct? Just a thought.
Chris

Yes, theoretically Chris but the back has been cast flat in order to sit nicely after it has been glued.

I have enough work to do with the Victory as it is, I don't really want any more.

gingerale75
#13 Posted : 05 October 2020 20:51:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi John,

Unfortunately I don't have leftover triple arch sections.
I have other die-cast parts, mainly belaying pins, wriggles (the things above the gun ports LOL, I think they called wriggles), small pillars for the gallery decorations.
Let me know if you need any of these.
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
goddo
#14 Posted : 05 October 2020 21:08:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

I know what you mean about having other things to do, John. I have managed to fill my days recently with lots of "necessary tasks" that don't involve any time on HMS Victory.
Not trying to be pushy but I just looked on Shipways myself and found this. I'm not sure about quality of these parts but a lot of modellers seem to buy their stuff.

https://www.shapeways.co...74002&li=marketplace
z8000783
#15 Posted : 06 October 2020 09:22:30

gingerale75 wrote:
Hi John,

Unfortunately I don't have leftover triple arch sections.
I have other die-cast parts, mainly belaying pins, wriggles (the things above the gun ports LOL, I think they called wriggles), small pillars for the gallery decorations.
Let me know if you need any of these.

No probs, I guess it was a long shot but thanks for looking.

Fine with other bits for the time being but you never know what you're going to find as you open up new issues.

z8000783
#16 Posted : 06 October 2020 09:26:10

goddo wrote:
I know what you mean about having other things to do, John. I have managed to fill my days recently with lots of "necessary tasks" that don't involve any time on HMS Victory.
Not trying to be pushy but I just looked on Shipways myself and found this. I'm not sure about quality of these parts but a lot of modellers seem to buy their stuff.

Yes I saw that but I want to have a go at building as much as I can myself. Thanks for the link though.

You may want to have a look at you pack for #85 now to make sure you have all the parts you need as it seemed to be a problematic issue.
goddo
#17 Posted : 06 October 2020 09:53:38

Good idea John.
I’ll have a look later today and see what I’ve got.
Chris