Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Carronade Options
Mike Turpin
#41 Posted : 20 April 2010 22:34:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month
Groups: Registered

I could be wrong and very often am!

However, the gun tackle which is missing on Victory was taken to anchor points on the deck. My guess is that good old health and safety has intervened in case some idiot visitor trips over the tackle and then cries 'Sue them!!'.

It would be interesting to get a view from the Royal Navy Museum, I'm still waiting for a reply I sent just before Easter to a question regarding the carronades.

Mike T
Macmedal
#42 Posted : 21 April 2010 00:17:57

The thick rope which passes through the thimble is called breeching rope this was employed to dampen the recoil. This most definitely would have been in place as well as the four tackles used to haul the carronade back into position as well as to traverse it if necessary.
Allan
#43 Posted : 21 April 2010 06:53:50

Mike Turpin wrote:
I could be wrong and very often am!

However, the gun tackle which is missing on Victory was taken to anchor points on the deck. My guess is that good old health and safety has intervened in case some idiot visitor trips over the tackle and then cries 'Sue them!!'.

It would be interesting to get a view from the Royal Navy Museum, I'm still waiting for a reply I sent just before Easter to a question regarding the carronades.

Mike T

It's a good job they did not do health and safety at the battle of TrafalgarLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Capt Stedders
#44 Posted : 21 April 2010 09:31:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Allan wrote:

It's a good job they did not do health and safety at the battle of TrafalgarLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Funny you should bring that up. Here's a little piece that Richard Littlejohn of the Daily Mail wrote a few years back..
Quote:
How would Nelson and the country have fared if he had been subject to modern political correctness and health and safety regulations? We would all be speaking French now!!

You are now on the deck of the recently renamed 'HMS Appeasement!'

Nelson - Give the order to hoist my signal Hardy.

Hardy - Aye Aye Sir

N - Hold on - that is not the signal I dictated to my signals officer.

H - Sorry Sir.

N - England expects every person to do his duty, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious persuasion or disability. What gobbledegook is this?

H - Admiralty policy I'm afraid, Sir. We're an equal opportunities employer now. We had devils own job getting 'England' past the censors, lest it be considered racist

N -Gadzooks, Hardy Hand me my pipe and tobacco.

H - Sorry Sir, All naval vessels have been designated smoke-free working environments.

N - In that case, break open a cask of rum. Let us splice the main brace to steel the men before battle.

H - The rum ration has been abolished Admiral. It's a part of Governments policy on binge drinking.

N - Good heavens Hardy, I suppose we had better get on with it. Full speed ahead.

H - I think you'll find there is a 4-knot speed limit on this stretch of water.

N - Dammit man, we are on the eve of the greatest sea fight in history. We must attack with all dispatch. Report from the crow's nest, please!

H - That won't be possible Sir.

N - What?

H - Health and Safety have closed the crow's nest sir, No harness. They say that the rope ladder does not meet with regulations. They won't let anyone up there until a proper scaffolding can be erected.

N - Then get the ships' carpenter without delay, Hardy.

H - Unfortunately he's busy knocking up wheelchair access to the fo'c'sle, Admiral.

N - Wheelchair access? I've never heard anything so absurd. H - Health and Safety again, Sir. We have to provide a barrier-free environment for the differently abled.

N - Differently abled? I've only one arm and one eye and I refuse even to hear mention of the word. I didn't rise to the rank of admiral by playing the disability card.

H - Actually Sir, you did. The Royal Navy is under-represented in the areas of visual impairment and limb deficiency.

N -Whatever next? Give me full sail. The salt spray beckons.

H - A couple of problems there, too Sir. Health and Safety won't let the men aloft without crash helmets. And they don't want anyone breathing in too much salt - haven't you seen the adverts?

N - I've never heard of such infamy. Break out the cannon and tell the men to stand by to engage the enemy.

H - The men are a bit worried about shooting at anyone, Admiral.

N - What? This is mutiny.

H - It's not that Sir, It's just that they are afraid of being charged for murder if they actually kill anyone. There are a couple of human rights lawyers on board, watching everyone like hawks.

N - Then how are we supposed to sink the French and the Spanish?

H - Actually Sir, we're not!

N - We're not?

H - No Sir, The French and Spanish are our European partners now. According to the Common Fisheries Policy, we shouldn't even be in this stretch of water. We could get hit with a huge claim for compensation.

N - But you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.

H - I wouldn't let the ship's diversity co-ordinator hear you saying that Sir You could be up on a disciplinary.

N - But surely you must consider every man an enemy who speaks ill of your King.

H - Not any more sir. We must be inclusive in this multicultural age. Now put on your Kevlar vest, it's the rules.

N - Don't tell me - Health and Safety. What happened to rum, sodomy and the lash?

H - As I explained Sir, Rum is off the menu, and there is a ban on corporal punishment.

N - What about sodomy?

H - I believe that is to be encouraged Sir.

Priceless then, Priceless now

Laugh

Thanks for the tips re the tackle and securing ropes chaps. Most helpful.
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

doremi495
#45 Posted : 21 April 2010 09:48:28

Capt Stedders wrote:
Allan wrote:

Funny you should bring that up. Here's a little piece that Richard Littlejohn of the Daily Mail wrote a few years back..
Quote:
How would Nelson and the country have fared if he had been subject to modern political correctness and health and safety regulations? We would all be speaking French now!!

You are now on the deck of the recently renamed 'HMS Appeasement!'

Nelson - Give the order to hoist my signal Hardy.

Hardy - Aye Aye Sir

N - Hold on - that is not the signal I dictated to my signals officer.

H - Sorry Sir.

N - England expects every person to do his duty, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious persuasion or disability. What gobbledegook is this?

H - Admiralty policy I'm afraid, Sir. We're an equal opportunities employer now. We had devils own job getting 'England' past the censors, lest it be considered racist

N -Gadzooks, Hardy Hand me my pipe and tobacco.

H - Sorry Sir, All naval vessels have been designated smoke-free working environments.

N - In that case, break open a cask of rum. Let us splice the main brace to steel the men before battle.

H - The rum ration has been abolished Admiral. It's a part of Governments policy on binge drinking.

N - Good heavens Hardy, I suppose we had better get on with it. Full speed ahead.

H - I think you'll find there is a 4-knot speed limit on this stretch of water.

N - Dammit man, we are on the eve of the greatest sea fight in history. We must attack with all dispatch. Report from the crow's nest, please!

H - That won't be possible Sir.

N - What?

H - Health and Safety have closed the crow's nest sir, No harness. They say that the rope ladder does not meet with regulations. They won't let anyone up there until a proper scaffolding can be erected.

N - Then get the ships' carpenter without delay, Hardy.

H - Unfortunately he's busy knocking up wheelchair access to the fo'c'sle, Admiral.

N - Wheelchair access? I've never heard anything so absurd. H - Health and Safety again, Sir. We have to provide a barrier-free environment for the differently abled.

N - Differently abled? I've only one arm and one eye and I refuse even to hear mention of the word. I didn't rise to the rank of admiral by playing the disability card.

H - Actually Sir, you did. The Royal Navy is under-represented in the areas of visual impairment and limb deficiency.

N -Whatever next? Give me full sail. The salt spray beckons.

H - A couple of problems there, too Sir. Health and Safety won't let the men aloft without crash helmets. And they don't want anyone breathing in too much salt - haven't you seen the adverts?

N - I've never heard of such infamy. Break out the cannon and tell the men to stand by to engage the enemy.

H - The men are a bit worried about shooting at anyone, Admiral.

N - What? This is mutiny.

H - It's not that Sir, It's just that they are afraid of being charged for murder if they actually kill anyone. There are a couple of human rights lawyers on board, watching everyone like hawks.

N - Then how are we supposed to sink the French and the Spanish?

H - Actually Sir, we're not!

N - We're not?

H - No Sir, The French and Spanish are our European partners now. According to the Common Fisheries Policy, we shouldn't even be in this stretch of water. We could get hit with a huge claim for compensation.

N - But you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.

H - I wouldn't let the ship's diversity co-ordinator hear you saying that Sir You could be up on a disciplinary.

N - But surely you must consider every man an enemy who speaks ill of your King.

H - Not any more sir. We must be inclusive in this multicultural age. Now put on your Kevlar vest, it's the rules.

N - Don't tell me - Health and Safety. What happened to rum, sodomy and the lash?

H - As I explained Sir, Rum is off the menu, and there is a ban on corporal punishment.

N - What about sodomy?

H - I believe that is to be encouraged Sir.

Priceless then, Priceless now

Laugh

Thanks for the tips re the tackle and securing ropes chaps. Most helpful.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Needed a laugh this morning. Thanks.
Dave H

Current builds :- Hachette 1/16 Tiger Tank
H.M.S Victory, Santisima Trinidad (Section), 1/8 scale Aston Martin DB5, 1/8 scale McLaren, YNWA
Mike Turpin
#46 Posted : 21 April 2010 10:07:12

Absolutely brilliant. Makes me laugh but also extremely exasperated that the world we live in has changed to such an extent! Crying

Just a small point, Nelson would probably not have called for his pipe and tobacco, he would most likely have enjoyed a pinch of snuff. It is recorded that barrels of snuff were included in the Admiral's stores on Victory. Even today you can enjoy your tobacco in a smoke free zone by the judicious use of snuff.Drool

Mike T
Allan
#47 Posted : 21 April 2010 10:11:46

Absolutely pricelessLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Allan
#48 Posted : 21 April 2010 10:13:08

Mike Turpin wrote:
Absolutely brilliant. Makes me laugh but also extremely exasperated that the world we live in has changed to such an extent! Crying

Just a small point, Nelson would probably not have called for his pipe and tobacco, he would most likely have enjoyed a pinch of snuff. It is recorded that barrels of snuff were included in the Admiral's stores on Victory. Even today you can enjoy your tobacco in a smoke free zone by the judicious use of snuff.Drool

Mike T

Snuff is probably a class A drug now LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
diamondscull
#49 Posted : 21 April 2010 11:04:19

Funniest thing i've read in a while, worryingly accurate in he modern age!!!
andylangtree
#50 Posted : 21 April 2010 11:13:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Found this on Modelship World, shows how he has roped his guns
http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8133
Hope this helps. You need to scroll down to the pics.
Mac
#51 Posted : 21 April 2010 11:40:26

Excellent!LOL but worryingly accurate!
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

thescrameth
#52 Posted : 23 April 2010 17:27:16

Groups: registriert, Registered

snake wrote:
thank you for comment, but why its show different from photo and issue 3
as you see 1-4 to drill hole but * did not show in issue 3

i am the same as you, confused as to which holes we drill for no 4. there is an obvious difference in the hole positions, but by copying the real victory hole positions (the second tier, not the bottom one) will we run into problems when attaching it to the ship? also no mention of the pivot hole.
Capt Stedders
#53 Posted : 23 April 2010 18:38:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I positioned mine in the same spot as seen in the photo.

Since the tackle assembly seems to connect to the rear pair of rings in both photos and magazine instructions, I would just stick them in the spot shown in the photo above.

Tools.

Capt Stedders
#54 Posted : 23 April 2010 19:59:13

andylangtree wrote:

Woot 1/64th scale, interior detailing and (AND!) mutterings about a possible Sovereign of the Seas kit!! Yes Please!!

Oh, and the roping detail in the pics is most helpful too. Thanks.

Tools.

thescrameth
#55 Posted : 23 April 2010 20:08:25

Groups: registriert, Registered

Capt Stedders wrote:
andylangtree wrote:

Woot 1/64th scale, interior detailing and (AND!) mutterings about a possible Sovereign of the Seas kit!! Yes Please!!

Oh, and the roping detail in the pics is most helpful too. Thanks.

Cheers Fellas, great when you can pool resources like this, much appreciated.
Macmedal
#56 Posted : 02 May 2010 01:11:41

Does anyone know if we are going to be provided material for making tackle for the guns. The blocks provided with the Carronade look too large and out of scale to my eye.

Anyone any ideas at to the correct scale sized blocks for the gun tackle ?
Mike Turpin
#57 Posted : 02 May 2010 01:26:25

I'm going to wait and see what happens. Most kits supply hundreds of blocks for the rigging and gun tackle. I would be very surprised considering the price of this kit, if that is not supplied later on.

I agree that the current blocks do seem a trifle large, however if necessary suppliers like Cornwall Model Boats have a wide variety of blocks of all sizes.

Any comment Admin?

Mike T
spigs
#58 Posted : 05 May 2010 14:39:12

I may have been unlucky but the holes for assembling the wheel housing for the carronade were too small to accept the brass axles. Fortunately I was alert to this and was able to enlarge the holes prior to shaping - otherwise it would have caused a major problem. Anyone else come across this?
benny
#59 Posted : 09 May 2010 17:16:49

hi..yeah me too i have found that the brass axles have been to big for both cannons we have recieved so far..i drilled them out with 0.8mm bit..worked for me
cheers benny