Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Shelby Cobra 427 Semi Competition Options
roymattblack
#41 Posted : 20 April 2021 20:23:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

A great update.
It's really looking good so far so please keep it coming.
BigGrin
Coser
#42 Posted : 27 May 2021 13:58:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I have received the next pack, but found one of the wires for the circuit board was missing. They are packed so that some of the slots have one wire in, others have two. So when I looked last month, all the slots had a wire in and I didn't notice that there were not enough wires in. I have informed CS and they are sending me a replacement stage. I hope to get that sooner than I will get my missing Ecto-1 issues.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
Coser
#43 Posted : 28 May 2021 22:56:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Now with all the wires, I have completed the work on this issue.

So this is what we will be working on this month. Firstly, we will wire up the circuit board from last month, then install it in the fuel tank, and work on the boot area of the car.

Stage 56

This is the circuit board.

We add the wires around the board. Note that the sockets are numbered, but the numbers are not sequential. The wires seem the same length, so the numbering is only to ensure the correct switch activated the correct action. As long as you know which number wire is connected to which number socket, it shouldn't be a problem. (I made sure to correct the wires to the same number sockets to make the other connections as easy as possible. I'm not organised enough to do otherwise.)

With all the wires attached, the board is screwed to the underside of the fuel tank plate from last month. This now completes the work that should have been completed last month.

Stage 57

The 10 wires from the board are bunched in the following manner. The 5 wires at the top are run through the large hole just above the board. The other wires are split the 2 wires to the left, and 3 wires to the right.

The two halves of the fuel tank are now screwed together, the wires exiting the fuel tank like so.

Stage 58

This will form the basics of the boot. The wall is screwed in to the floor from underneath.

This is then attached to the fuel tank.

Stage 59

Stage 59 is mainly the two fuel pumps installed in the boot.

The two pumps are different. The differences are not a problem, as the connections are also different it is easy to get them in correctly. (Not necessarily that easy to keep them there, but I'll explain that in a minute.)

The first pump goes in at the back, the second in front of it.

The connections look like this.

With the connector for the first pump noticeably wider than the connector for the second pump.

The first 2 fuel lines. The shorter one goes to the bottom of the first pump, the longer one to the top of that pump.

The other 2 hoses are attached to these and connect the second pump.

The only other parts in this stage are for the boot catch.

The first part is screwed to the side of the boot like this.

These components are screwed together. They must be tight, but movable.
This assembly is then pushed on to the side of the boot.

And that is it for this stage. I'll finish off this months build in the next post.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#44 Posted : 30 May 2021 17:02:18

So, carrying on with this month's build.

Stage 60 Inner rear fender liner.

I initially got this part the wrong way round and couldn't figure out how to connect it to the last stage. I realised quickly what I had done, and only had to pull the wires out again, turn the part, and then put the wires in again.

The wires previously separated into three bundles are now re-combined into two bundles, one to the left, the other to the right. Combining two from the middle with the three, and three from the middle with the two, each set of five wires are threaded, one by one, through the holes.

Once the wires are through, the liner is screwed to the fuel tank via the lugs at the bottom of the liner, and three screw connecting it to the underside of the boot floor.

All ten wires are then brought back together and secured with this clip.

Stage 61

Stage 61 is just this bulkhead part. There is nothing to do with this part until stage 62.

Stage 62 Speaker installation

The speaker is placed here in the bulkhead. Note this is the back of the bulkhead, and it's upside down at the moment. The surround on the bulkhead has a missing section where the speaker wires are to go.

The clamp is attached, again with the gap where the wires go.

The speaker wire is then inserted through the slot in the bottom of the bulkhead into this hole.

Stage 63 Bulkhead detailing 1

This stage we start the detailing of the bulkhead.

It looks like we will be adding a load of electronics to the bulkhead, which will be completed in the next stage.

The first detail is this little white connector.

This detail, possibly a fuse bank or something, is then added to the wiring loom.

The detail is then added to the back wall of the bulkhead, trapping the wiring loom.

There are four locations along the top of the bulkhead where the wiring loom is pushed in. I used a pair of needle-nosed pliers to pull from the back, ensuring the wiring loom is tight to the bulkhead.

Then this silver detail is pushed in here.

And this black detail goes on the opposite side. Both details have two pins of different sizes to ensure they go in the correct way.

Stage 64, bulkhead detailing 2

The two silver details seem to be identical, and trap their respective ends of the wiring loom.

The large silver detail is next, again trapping part of the wiring loom.

Then this cylindrical detail. The hole for this is a keyhole design, and I had a little difficulty getting it in before I took a scalpel to it and lightly removed some flash from the hole.

The wiring loom is just pushed into the hole in the bottom.

The final detail for this stage is this large black one. The wiring loom is again just pushed into the part.

The last thing for this month is to add these connections between the wiring loom and these components. I found the wiring loom to be a little springy to just keep these connections without glue, so I added a little drop of gel superglue to the ends of the wiring loom.

That's the end for this month, we are now three quarters of the way through this build.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#45 Posted : 07 June 2021 17:53:03

Ooops!

Last month was actually month 8, but my month 9 delivery arrived this morning so let's get cracking.

This month we finally build the main parts of the steering system and work on some of the bodywork.

Stage 65 is finishing off the driver belts and a single part for the front firewall. Unfortunately the belts require the roll hoop from the first delivery, and I have that in a box I don't have immediate access to. I will add those as an addendum later.

Stage 66 is the oil vapour chamber for the firewall and the air pipe.

Take the small pipe, and insert it in the smaller hole in the chamber. These holes are 'D' shaped, so can only go in one way.

The longer pipe goes in the other hole, again only being able to go in one way.

The silver filler cap is then pushed in.

This assembly is them placed into the firewall.

Agora do note that is needs to go flush to the firewall. In my case this was not immediately possible, but their advised remedy worked. To get the chamber to fit flush, I had to remove the speaker from the other side, remove some flash from the holes, install the chamber, and then re-install the speaker.

The air pipe is then pushed on to the base of the firewall like so.

Stage 67, steering shaft and gear bracket.

This is where Agora recommend doing something I routinely do with screws going into metal. Cut the threads first, then attach the components. This technique will make it much easier to put the cam gear cover onto the bracket without straining any of the screws in their holes.

Before I put any of the parts together I take one of the screws, dip it in a little oil, and screw it into the hole. Screw it in for about a turn, back it out for half a turn, and repeat until the screw bottoms out. Once all screw threads have been cut, remove the screw. [there are always spare screws, so one can be used specifically for this purpose.]

With all the threads cut, the bracket goes on the front left of the chassis frame. There is a pin that goes through the middle hole in the bracket, the outer two holes are where the screws go.

We then come to the trickiest part of this month's build. The steering shaft includes three universal joints, and has to be threaded between the central exhausts to end up with the gear end siting in the cam gear bracket. This took a while, and the use of some tweezers.

The gear is then secured with the cover.

Stage 68 finalises the steering system in the engine bay.

With the holes in the tops of the steering posts threaded

One of the small springs are dropped over the post.

The steering rod is placed so that the geared section is meshed with the cam gear on the end of the steering shaft. This will mean that the ends bend forward slightly. The rod is then secured with a flanged screw.

The steering is complete once both ends are secure. At this point you can turn one of the road wheels and the other will follow. You will need to hold the lose end of the steering shaft to ensure it doesn't catch. The wheels no longer drop when you pick the model up.

Next, we work on the boot lid and doors.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#46 Posted : 07 June 2021 18:55:50

There is also a steering column included in stage 68 which is pushed through the steering wheel and this traps it around the dash. Unfortunately my steering wheel is in the same box as the roll hoop, so I will include that in the addendum later.

Stage 69, starting the trunk lid.

Stage 69 is quite a quick one, all concentrating on the trunk lid, and only one screw is required.

The badge is the only part that is screwed in from the back. The joint is a keyed design so the logo is correctly orientated and does not twist when it is screwed in.

The number plate light and the trunk handle are just pushed in. The handle can go in either way up, so I chose the best looking side to be uppermost. The plate light is just a silver detail, but care needs to be taken so it is installed the correct way up. There is a recessed side, which needs to be installed facing downwards.

Stage 70 - Trunk hinges and number plate.

As I would be working extensively on the bodywork for the remainder of the month, I got a microfibre cloth to work on.

The hinges are screwed on with the protrusions pointing inward.

The number plate is screwed in from the back. This is just the standard number plate. Due to my subscription I am due a numbered plate, but I assume this will be included in my final delivery. I don't know if I will actually use that, but I do feel that the number plate is the weakest part of this build so far. It really just looks like a chromed plastic part with a decal giving the number.

Given his previous history, I believe Mike Lane will probably do a replacement number plate anyway, so not too bothered at the moment.

There is also a bracket included in this stage, but it is not used yet.

Stage 71 - Left (driver's) door, first stage.

This stage is just the door skin, the door card, and a sprue containing the rivet that go in the top.

The door card is secured into the door with two tiny screws, one at the front and the other in the rear of the door. Both of these screws will be hidden by other part in the next stage.

Three of the parts from the sprue are just pushed into the holes until they are flush.

Stage 72 - driver's door

With this stage, we finish the driver's door by adding the hinge to the front and door catch to the rear.

Firstly, the small spring included in this stage is placed on the post on the lock handle. This is a tight fit - won't be going anywhere once on the post unless it takes the post with it - so care must be taken not to lose the spring.

The lock handle is then screwed into the catch mechanism with a flanged screw. This needs to be tight, but the handle needs to be able to move. I tightened it down fully then backed the screw off a little so the handle could move.

We then install the hinge into the front of the door. The hinge has a bend in it, which goes to the outside of the door. The longer section of the hinge is screwed to the door, and is now ready to receive the cover.

This is just a push fit, with two pins at the rear.

The catch mechanism is then pushed into the rear of the door. This finishes the driver door.

Stage 73 - Right (passenger) door and card.

Stage 73 is just a repeat of stage 71 for the other door.

And that is is for now. As mentioned previously, there is still the steering wheel and driver harness to work on, but they require parts I don't have on hand right now.

Although we have had no instructions for putting the assemblies together, a little work means I can give an approximation of what we have done so far - minus the bodywork - looks like.

Note that nothing has been screwed together in the last two pictures. The passenger compartment is not fully down and that is throwing some of the other parts out a bit.

So that's it for this month, but I should have the other parts by the end of the week so will put out the missing content then.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#47 Posted : 10 July 2021 15:42:16

Sorry for the delay with this thread. I had trouble finding the parts I needed, then once I had them, the lead to connect my camera to my PC wouldn't work.

However, I have finished off the last bits of work from the last stage, and this months delivery, got the pictures transferred, converted, and uploaded, so here we go.

Finishing off last month's build included adding the driver's belts to the roll hoop, and attaching the steering wheel.

This set of parts is the fixings for the driver's belts and a single long part for the firewall. We start with the driver's belts.

We start by taking the new parts and the roll hoop from pack 1.

The two smaller parts have different sized notches. They need to go on the correct side of the hoop.

They are screwed to the longer part so that the parts are attached through the holes on the left side. The right side holes on each of the small parts take the silver ring details that the belts attach to.

And the belts are then attached to the rings in the same way the passenger belts were attached.

That is all we do with these parts for now, they will need to be kept safely again.

The longer part is then attached to the firewall.

And again, that is all we do with that for now.

The only other part I needed from last month was the steering wheel.

The steering column it threaded through the dash like so. There is a collar on the column so you can't push it through too far.

The steering wheel is pushed on the end of the column. This is a 'D' connection to ensure alignment.

This is as far as I could get the steering wheel by hand. I needed some WD-40, a small rubber block I have, and a small hobby hammer, to get the steering wheel on fully so that there was no gap between the steering wheel and the dash, and the steering column collar and the back of the dash.

I then connected the bottom of the steering column and the section of the steering connected to the cog. When this was done, it was obvious that the steering wheel was out of alignment with the front wheels.

To fix this, I removed the rod connecting both wheels, the one with the toothed section. This allowed me to turn the steering wheel without it effecting the position of the wheels. Once the steering wheel was in line with the front wheels, I re-attached the rod.

That's it for this little catch up session. I'll get this months pack up as soon as I've uploaded the pictures.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#48 Posted : 11 July 2021 09:23:40

Pack 10

This month we finish the door, build the windscreen and start the radiator.

Taking the door from last month and the parts from stage 74, we will build the latch mechanism much like we did for the first door.

Place the spring on the peg of the lock handle.

This goes in the mechanism and is secured with a flanged screw. When tightening the screw, make sure it doesn't stop the free movement of the handle.

Push the mechanism into the door.

Take the hinge and align it with the door like this. The longer section goes to the door, with the bend pointing to the outside of the car.

Screw the hinge to the door.

Cover it with the plastic cover. That is all we will do with the door for this month, keep it safe until we need it again.

Stage 75 is just the windscreen frame.

Stage 76. is the left wind deflector and sun visor.

Both of these have the same style connections, which need to be bent out to go around the pegs built in to the windscreen frame. The instructions show bending both sides of each connection slightly, but I chose to bend only one side of each connection. As I bent the same side of each connection, I left the other side straight. This ensured that the parts are in the correct position once I have bent the connection back around the pins on the frame.

The left wind deflector in position. Note the angled edger is on the bottom, and the fixings are on what will be the outside of the windscreen.

The same procedure is followed for the sun visor. This time, make sure that the connections are to the rear of the visor so that the visor is between them and the windscreen.

Stage 77 is the right wind deflector and sun visor.

Repeat the same procedure as for stage 76 with these parts on the right side of the windscreen frame.

Stage 78 is the windscreen itself.

The windscreen is slid up underneath the sun visors and just pushes into place. It is held in place by two pins on the lower corners.

This is now the windscreen completed. I have carefully folded it in one of my microfibre cloths to avoid it getting scratched.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#49 Posted : 13 July 2021 18:02:57

Hmm, don't know why the last post hasn't appeared. I'll do it again.

Stage 79

Starting on the radiator.

Take the first half of the radiator, and the photoetch radiator grill. Note the two arcs in the PE part which match the locations of the two inlet/outlets. The radiator has two pins and two screw locations.

Screw them together like this.

Take the oil cooler and this cooler grill.

Place it in the concave face of the cooler.

Take the other grill and bend up the legs like this. Note that the grooves in the legs go inward of the bends

Slot the legs through the holes in both the cooler and the grill on the concave side.

Bend the legs inwards as far as you can on the concave side, trapping all the parts together.

Stage 80

Take the other side of the radiator, and affix to the radiator side we did in stage 79.

Note that there is a slot made up from a cut-out in each half. Make sure these slots are together before screwing these parts together.

Take the other grill and screw to the face of the second radiator component.

Stage 81

This stage we get the cooler mount, the two fan blades, and the two fan motors.

Place the oil cooler assembly from stage 79 into the cooler mount. Note the way that the cooler sits in the mount. Due to the shapes, this is the only way it will fit. That's all for this stage.

Stage 82

Stage 82 gives us the radiator mounting frame.

First, take a fan motor and insert it into the keyed hole in the frame.

Screw a fan onto the motor, ensuring the float of the fan goes against the frame. This leaves a longer tube sticking out the back where the screw goes.

Repeat for the other fan in the second hole.

Slide the oil cooler mount into the radiator mounting frame like this.

This is the end of this months build, but I couldn't leave without showing you how the radiator will fit into this frame.

Oh, and next month ..... BODYWORK!
[I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it...I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!]

Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#50 Posted : 08 November 2021 14:50:27

So glad to get back to this. Had to take a break due to getting a job on the south coast, a 4 hour drive from home, and was not able to get any modelling done for quite a while.

The job is done, and I'm glad, but as I thought I would be there a while I had taken the Cobra down there. I never actually got to do anything and brought it back. During this process, I have lost the part that holds the trunk hinges in and the paintwork on the trunk has become damaged.

I have contacted CS and should have the replacements soon. In the meantime, I can post my progress up to stage 95.

Delivery 11 includes the bodywork, and the above picture includes the parts from delivery 12.

Stage 83. Oil cooler brackets and fluid pipe

The two brackets are placed into the radiator/oil cooler assembly like this. The top section of each bracket just sits into the cut-away section. The middle section is held in by a peg, and the lower section is held in by a screw from the other side.

The radiator is now screwed on to the assembly.

The longer coolant pipe, with the connector on both ends, is fed through the rectangular hole and pushed into the hole on this side. Take note that the connectors are not the same, but unfortunately that is not evident in my picture. The on-line instructions do make this clear.

The shorter pipe has only one connector, but is fed through in the same manner as the longer one.

Stage 84. Air inlets and expansion tank.

The air intakes are also slightly different, depending on the side they attach to.

They have a small hole which fits a peg on the assembly, and a larger hole for a single screw.

The base of the expansion tank is screwed to the front of the engine.

The filler cap is a keyed fit, only fitting flush one way round, and is screwed in from underneath.

The top of the expansion tank is simply pushed on to the base. I suggest that the tank is supported both when screwing the base to the engine and pushing the top onto the base or there is a risk that the tank support could break.

Stag 85. Main body and door locks.

And she's a beauty. There is a wonderful gloss to the blue, and what looks like a black gasket material around the openings such as where the bonnet will go.

The two door locks are also handed, make sure the screw recesses are outward and the shape fits the shape by the door.

We then fit the dashboard underneath the body.

This is a snug fit. I found I was able to slide the dash in where the door hinges will go end this made the job a little easier.

The dash is secured from underneath with two screws.

The doors are now attached. It is easier to have them in the closed position and tighten the screws with a short screwdriver.

I found these needed no adjustments, with even gaps around them.

Stage 86. Side mirror, radiator bracket, hood hinges, and mounting plate.

The side mirror is made up of the majority of the mirror, the mirror front piece, and a small piece of self-adhesive mirrored material.

The two parts of the mirror are simply pushed together, the self-adhesive is stuck into the recess, and the whole thing is then screwed into its location on the bodywork. Agora advise you to retain the polystyrene packing the bodywork comes in to use as rests for when you need to turn the bodywork over to screw things into the body from underneath. This is a good idea as it reduces the chance that from now on you will break the mirror, or other items, whilst doing this.

The two bonnet hinges are now attached to the bonnet. The hinges have rods built in, and these should point towards each other to have them in correct alignment.

This black part is screwed to the radiator assembly. I'm not sure if I was going a little too fast at this point, or if the instructions could be a little clearer, but after I took this picture I realised I had it on upside-down.

So having it the correct way up now, I was able to proceed to the next step.

This piece is just pushed into the radiator.

We then take the Cobra badge from stage 1 and screw it into the bodywork. Here I also had a problem. In holding the part by pushing it into place with my thumb whilst screwing it in from underneath, the part turned under my thumb slightly and I was not happy with the angle that then created to the bodywork. It also made the sticker come off.

I corrected the angle of the part, and then stuck the sticker back on top again. I have not had the sticker move since, but am considering a thin layer of "Micro Krystal Klear" on top just in case.

Stage 87. Left Inner side panel and door arch trim.

Simply two parts that are pressed together.

The uppermost face in this picture is the on that will end up between this part and the bodywork, so the extensions in the silver will not be seen.

And here it is installed with three tiny screws. The visible face is almost velvet like, which unfortunately means it pics up a load of dust. Just before I fit the body to the rest of the model, I'm going to give it a going over with a small (Think PC keyboard vacuum) cleaner, doing the whole passenger compartment.

Stage 88. Right Inner side panel and door arch trim.

We repeat the previous stage installing the right side trim.

And then we get to install the firewall into the bodywork. Slide this piece between the steering column and the bodywork and screw it in.

And that concludes stage 88.

Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#51 Posted : 08 November 2021 16:53:19

Stage 89. Electrical wires.

This stage is very quick. In fact, I don't understand why it is necessary at all. All that is required is to match the numbered wires and connect them, extending the original wires. I would not have been worried about having a 99 stage build rather than a 100 stage build and having the wires already installed prior to this stage being the same length as they become after this stage.

Stage 90. Left fender grill and front jacking pads.

The fender grill is inserted and secured by a pin and single screw.

The front jacking pads are inserted into the front of the bodywork. The flat sides of the pads are to go to the inside, facing the air intake opening in the centre of the body. They are secured by a single screw from the inside. Note that these pads support the entire weight of the real car, but WON'T hold the weight of this model.

Stage 91. Right fender grill and rear jacking pads.

Stage 91 is almost the same as stage 90. Jacking pads are secured by a single screw, and the fender grill is also secured by a single screw.

With this completed, we get to fit the bonnet and the radiator assembly. The radiator assembly traps the hood hinges and allows the hood to be installed.

With the hood in place, I taped it closed. The catches at the back of the hood can also be used to keep it in place. The bodywork was then turned upside-down and placed on the polystyrene which the body came in.

The radiator assembly is screwed in with two screws - just below the intakes in this picture.

Stage 92. Front left indicator and left rear light and LED.

The front indicator is assembled from these two parts. The connection is keyed so that the lens goes in the reflector in the correct orientation.

This is then placed in the front of the bodywork. This connection is also of a type that ensures it can only go in the correct way round.

The rear light is made up of a red lens, silver reflector, and a black back part. These are pushed together, all can only go one way due to the connectors.

This assembly is pushed into the rear of the body, then secured with a single screw.

The LED is then pushed in from inside the body. I found mine was a little loose and kept coming out. A small amount of "Micro Krystal Klear" around the back of the LED and body solved this.

Stage 93.

Stage 93 is just the right side versions of stage 92. When you have finished this, you have both front indicators and both rear lights installed.

Stage 94. Anti-sway bar and hood support.

The anti-sway bar is installed on the chassis. Bring over the chassis, turn it upside-down with the front towards you. The anti-sway bar should be installed with it angled towards the top of the engine.

With the chassis turned back the right side up, install the hood support clip into the recess in the right fender liner. I had problems with my boot support coming off the place it was supposed to be secured and ended up using a small drop of superglue to fix that in place, and dud the same here. Using a cocktail stick I ran a thin layer of superglue in the recess and placed the support clip in the recess.

The hood support itself gets threaded through a hole on the right hand side of the bonnet opening. This need to be inserted and twisted so that it can rotate in the hole but not come out.

Once you have familiarised yourself with opening and supporting the bonnet, close and lock it. The support can be taped to the underside of the bonnet or the side of the body somewhere.

Stage 95. Headlights.

Take one out at a time. The parts are handed in the pack and this will prevent you from getting the lenses on the wrong reflectors.

The lenses are keyed to go in the correct reflector at the correct angle.

The lenses are secured into the bodywork with a single screw from the inside.

Stage 96. Mirror, windscreen, wipers, boot, and roll bar back tube.

We start this stage with the rear view mirror. This is a single part with an adhesive reflector section.

Unfortunately, I was not happy with how I had stuck the adhesive section down. It was obviously not going all the way to one end and was up slightly on the rim at the other. In trying to remove it to try again, the adhesive split the backing. It looks like this was paper and won't stand up to being removed and placed again.

I removed the material on the main section and scratched it up a bit with my scalpel.

Using a thin layer of "Micro Krystal Klear" again I glued the reflector in place. I don't mind that there is a bit of a gap on the edge furthest away from the connector. This mirror is secured to the bodywork just inside the windscreen, so that edge will hardly ever be seen and having the edge closest to the connector being tidy will look better.

The windscreen is now placed on the body and secured from underneath with 3 screws.

The two windscreen wipers are also installed here. They are marked 'L' and 'R' to allow them to be placed in the correct area. Each wiper is secured from the underside with a single small screw. This is another operation where I included a little MKK glue to assist this process.

Although the parts for this stage include the roll bar rear tube and mount, they are not used in this stage, but are kept for later.

Stage 97. Fuel cap and air filter.

Due to my missing part and paint damage, I didn't do the rest of this stage but will add that once the replacements arrive.

The black part is not symmetrical, there is a thin recess on one side and a much deeper recess on the other side. I installed the photoetch part in the side with the shallower recess.

I bent the two legs on the photoetch and slid them through the slots. They go through into recesses in the walls on the other side, which makes them difficult to bend over again and secure the photoetch. I don't know if the idea is to glue the legs from the rear side (This would actually have been easier, and wouldn't have effected the finish.) but I used my scalpel blade to bend them over.

This part should then be placed in the air intake scoop in the chassis. As I cannot finish this stage anyway, I have left that for now.

These are the parts for the fuel filler cap. The parts are a press fit which allows the cap to open and close.

The cap base is slotted into the collar.

The two pins in the cap can be inserted into the holes at the back of the cap base. One pin is longer than the other, so I inserted that one first, then the other.

The clasp goes on in a similar manner, and the assembly is screwed to the body from underneath.

I may paint the centre of the recess in the body matt black to represent the inside of the fuel filler pipe.

That is all I have completed so far. I'll finish off as soon as the replacement parts arrive. (Well worth the £15 including postage as it is my fault the parts are missing or damaged.)

Current Builds

Finished Builds