Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Paint Flaw Issue 73 Options
slimguy
#1 Posted : 03 October 2020 18:27:53

Groups: Registered

Hello all. My god it is starting to look like I am some sort of a whiny little boy with all of my posts about my build issues of late. Trust me, I am not that way. I just must be in a small bad patch with respect to my build. In all honesty, this rough patch I seem to be going through has me yearning for the fifth and final wheel assembly. At least that is something I find myself good at...go figure right?

In any event, I just opened Issue 73 to discover a paint flaw or defect of some sort on the right front wing. See attached pictures. I have verified that it is not just due to some protective coating I assume is put on the painted body for protection during packaging because I have gently cleaned the area and can actually feel the defect when I gently rub my fingernail over the defect. It is also not due to my error as I use a soft towel to cushion the model while building and I use nitrile gloves whenever I handle the painted body parts, bright work, glass, etc.

I have already sent an email to Customer Service requesting a new Issue 73 package. But darn I so hate waiting the three to four week turnaround time to the States. I also went ahead and inspected the left front wing in Issue 74, and thankfully it is perfect! My question to the group is whether anyone has attempted to polish out defects in their models using various polishing compounds, waxes, etc. and if so were you successful and what products did you use?
File Attachment(s):
image.jpeg (70kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
image.jpeg (34kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 03 October 2020 19:57:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Slim
My advice to you would be to give CS a call. You’ll get a much faster response time. And from personal experience I can’t really fault them. While waiting for replacement you could give it a try to polish out as you’ve got nothing to lose

Regards Gray
slimguy
#3 Posted : 03 October 2020 20:11:20

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Hi Slim
My advice to you would be to give CS a call. You’ll get a much faster response time. And from personal experience I can’t really fault them. While waiting for replacement you could give it a try to polish out as you’ve got nothing to lose

Regards Gray

Thanks Gray for the advice. I will call Customer Service on Monday. I was hesitant to try to polish it out thinking that maybe CS might want me to ship the bad part back for verification of the defect. If so I did not want to get into a "he said she said" about who was to blame for the defect. On Monday iwhen I chat with them via phone, if they do not request I send back to them the defective part, I do have a gentle polishing product and might give it a go and see if I can smooth out the flaw.
CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 03 October 2020 21:32:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I don’t think you’ll have any problems. As a breed we are generally trustworthy and I’ve never had any comebacks (let’s face it, your not likely to report a problem if you haven’t got one), plus why would you ask for a replacement if you don’t need it BigGrin
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 03 October 2020 22:56:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Slimguy, BigGrin

You don`t need any more proof of the paint issue, you`ve posted pictures on this forum. "Proof Enough".

To remove a paint issue like that could take a lot of work and potentially show little improvement, so order a replacement via CS. I know it takes some time but you will be much happier with a good panel.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"