Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Artesina kit upgrade Options
brendonparise
#1 Posted : 09 October 2020 12:23:38

Groups: Registered

Hi all, new to this forum. I purchased Artesina Latina HMS Victory kit in USA a few years ago. Have returned to Aus now and am about to commence the build. I was looking for build logs and could find nothing, or not much on Artesina about it any more and I got the impression the Victory 'rights' if you like had been taken over by De Agostini.
so I went to De Agostini Model space and looked around, and the victory kit does look very familiar. If I am correct and the kit is what used to be the Artesina Latina kit, but quite improved upon, then I am wondering whether there is a possibility of purchasing a 'Kit Difference' kit for want of a better term.

I have looked over the De Agostini build guides and am extremely impressed and would really like to do the De Agostini build, except I have an original Artesina version of the kit.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether this is possible. I have contacted De Agostini directly but, I suspect with Covid issues ruling all of our lives these days, I have received no response as yet.

Any help would be appreciated, this is going to be a complex build and I much prefer to use the De Agostini guides but I don't have the actual full kit.....

regards
Brendon Parise
Adelaide, South australia
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 09 October 2020 15:29:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brendon

I would suggest this would not be possible as Deagostini version was offered either on a monthly subscription with individual packs of parts being sent. Or as a complete kit with the same parts arriving on mass.

Apart from Deagostini possibly having to send out a particular pack as a replacement for builder error etc i am not aware of any form of upgrade kit.

Artesania Latina went into receivership about a year back and while they have now been bought out (and operating under the same name) they are not producing the full range of kits that they once did - Victory and HMS Surprise being 2 in point.

Not sure what differences you have seen but with the deagostini version we certainly did get a whole better set of build instructions as well as having access to the official build on this forum.

Deagostini did have the option of a cutaway section and supplied additional guns and cast figures. I believe this was not part of the Artesania original.

If its just that area you may find someone has this set they would be willing to part with as many builders decided to go full hull rather than cutaway.

We also had a builder that had some brass upgrades produced that he was selling. The stern gallery was one of these. But as i say these were privately done and not part of the official deagostini offering.

Is there anything else you have spotted that you feel differs between the 2 kits?

Tony

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
brendonparise
#3 Posted : 10 October 2020 06:56:28

Tony,
Thanks for the reply.
I think the main thing I notice is the hull copper plating.
Looks like that is offered by De Agostini but was definitely not part of the Artesina kit.

Maybe they will let me purchase that pack ?

I'll ask and see what happens.

seems a little odd to me though, if they based it on the Artesina kit and decided to do some upgrades then surely they know what it is they upgraded and could provide those parts to others who have the Artesina kit ??

Of course, this is all based on my suspicion that the De Agostini kit is actually what used to be the Artesina kit.... I don't actually know if that is the case...

Looking forward to the build anyway ...

Brendon
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 10 October 2020 09:15:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

HiBigGrin

The copper tiles are on sale as an extra.

Link below:

https://www.model-space....e-pack-hms-victory.html

They tend to sell out fast so if you want some don`t delay.Blink Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#5 Posted : 10 October 2020 15:44:20

brendonparise wrote:
Tony,
Thanks for the reply.
I think the main thing I notice is the hull copper plating.
Looks like that is offered by De Agostini but was definitely not part of the Artesina kit.

Maybe they will let me purchase that pack ?

I'll ask and see what happens.

seems a little odd to me though, if they based it on the Artesina kit and decided to do some upgrades then surely they know what it is they upgraded and could provide those parts to others who have the Artesina kit ??

Of course, this is all based on my suspicion that the De Agostini kit is actually what used to be the Artesina kit.... I don't actually know if that is the case...

Looking forward to the build anyway ...

Brendon

Brendon

I see Derek has given the details for the copper tiles.

These were a special that deagostini put together for the builders of the Victory as many people raised issue that the paint that was to be used to give the copper effect did not look very good.

Deagostini had these tiles specially made in the correct scale so they were never an offering from artesania latina.

Hope you manage to get a set as they do sell out very quickly.

Hope you enjoy building your model.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach