Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stripping Paint? Options
bfam4t6
#1 Posted : 16 October 2020 16:07:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hey guys,

So I need some advice for how to strip paint. I finally have an airbrush, and I want to undue my unslightly attempts at brushing my Porsche exhaust.

I have multiple layers of Tamiya acrylic built up on most of the parts, and I even went to the extent of spraying one of them with Tamiya matte clear. I want to get it all off and start fresh with the airbrush.

Will Mineral Spirits work, or do I need Acetone for removal? I just want to make sure I wont be harming the plastic.
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

admin
#2 Posted : 16 October 2020 16:55:18

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

bfam4t6 wrote:
Hey guys,

So I need some advice for how to strip paint. I finally have an airbrush, and I want to undue my unslightly attempts at brushing my Porsche exhaust.

I have multiple layers of Tamiya acrylic built up on most of the parts, and I even went to the extent of spraying one of them with Tamiya matte clear. I want to get it all off and start fresh with the airbrush.

Will Mineral Spirits work, or do I need Acetone for removal? I just want to make sure I wont be harming the plastic.

Acetone will melt the plastic. (Personal experience here) Tamiya paint runs like water when denatured alcohol is used as a stripper.
bfam4t6
#3 Posted : 16 October 2020 18:18:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

admin wrote:

Acetone will melt the plastic. (Personal experience here) Tamiya paint runs like water when denatured alcohol is used as a stripper.

Thanks Mark, I'll have to go pick up some denatured alcohol this weekend.
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos