Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Model mishaps Options
Stryk158
#1 Posted : 28 October 2020 22:17:46

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

My name is Steve and this is my first post on this site. I’m building the Dodge Charger and the Fiat 126 and trailer. I recently posted the Fiat 126 Pack 5 build and described a mishap I had with the Fiat chassis and a collapsing chair. It really was funnier than I probably described, but, I thought it may be interesting if others have had mishaps, post them. I’ve really enjoyed the builds and participating so far. The present pandemic has me hold up big time. Looking forward to your posts. As always, take care, stay safe and talk to you later. Steve

****Admin note: Steve is the official builder for the Fiat. I post his build logs as Steve is somewhat "computer challenged....."
admin
#2 Posted : 01 November 2020 22:46:31

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

My modeling mishap involves Thin CA...

I was working with small bits of PE, and dropped a part. I licked the tip of my finger to pick it up. Unbeknownst to me, I had a bit of a leak in the bottle of CA, and it had coated my fingertip. I quite successfully glued my fingertip to my tongue AND teeth! Have you seen “A Christmas Story” where the kid licks the sign post, and his tongue gets frozen to it? Yeah. Kinda like that with my tongue being well glued to my finger....
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 02 November 2020 00:01:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I once managed to burn my fingers rather badly with ca.

Cut the plug off a new bottle of thin ca and it must have been under pressure as it shot out of the bottle and all over my fingers.

All was well for about 2 seconds until it started to cure and the heat as it cured was very painful.

One of the reasons i try to avoid ca glue if i possibly can.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
admin
#4 Posted : 02 November 2020 07:33:28

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

birdaj2 wrote:
I once managed to burn my fingers rather badly with ca.

Cut the plug off a new bottle of thin ca and it must have been under pressure as it shot out of the bottle and all over my fingers.

All was well for about 2 seconds until it started to cure and the heat as it cured was very painful.

One of the reasons i try to avoid ca glue if i possibly can.

Tony

That sorta feels like a bit of the Sun landed on you, doesn’t it? I’m a klutz, so I’ve got plenty of tales....
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 02 November 2020 08:57:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

CA seems to be a problem with many of us...

I was once working with the stuff and decided to stop for a while and watch TV.
I put everything down, put my glasses on and went to watch a movie.
A few hours later I decided to do a bit more modelling so went back to my 'cave' and took my glasses off...

At least, that was the idea.

Without realising it, I had 'somehow' got CA on one of the arms. Via my fingers I would guess.
Anyway, my glasses were very firmly attached to my head via one ear 'ole.

It really HURT slowly peeling them off...LOL LOL LOL
Mustang
#6 Posted : 02 November 2020 09:36:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

My worst mishap was when I was a lot younger and involved the scalpel knife, I was sitting at the desk in my bedroom building a plastic kit when I went looking for the knife I could find it on the desk.

So after moving everything around I stood up and found the knife had fallen of the desk and had landed straight into my leg blade firstCursing just above the knee, so being young the first thing I did was pull it out Blushing what a mistake Blood started to run out, and I ended up at the local hospital to have stitches in only 4 put that was the worst mishap Laugh Laugh
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -
Current Build - Below Decks - https://forum.model-spac...sts&m=339187#339187 -

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 02 November 2020 18:33:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

I have too many to count.My top 2 are;

1. I screwed up painting a tamiya 1/24 car body. I figured I would put it in some lacquer thinner to clean the paint off. I forgot about it and left it soaking overnight.In the morning I was met with a puddle of black goo instead of a body

2.I spent months building model airways Fokker Dr1 triplane.I posted a build diary on the forum. When I was redoing my man cave I figured I would put the finished model on a high shelf so I wouldnt damage it whilst cleaning.I was about 10 feet away from it when I remembered that the undercarriage wheels actually did roll.I turned around to see if gently roll off the high shelf and nose dive to the floor and crumple into a big ball of wood, wires and cast metal.

Carl