Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages 123>»
Gandale’s Enhanced Trumpeter Bismarck Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 03 November 2020 18:26:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

My Official Ship builds are now complete and as a result I have made the decision that my days of building period ships has also come to an end, for the foreseeable future at least. Thought it was time to broaden my horizons and make a start at learning some much needed new skills. The 1/200 Bismarck is a kit I’ve had in my stash for some time now and the fact that I’ve never worked with plastic before is one reason why it has never been started. I have also acquired the Pontos Deluxe photo etch set, a set I have to say I’m very impressed with, especially with the wooden decks. My experience of working with photo etch is also very limited so this is going to be a completely new experience for me in both working with plastic and photo etch.

With that said, some members may say I’ve completely lost the plot taking all this on and perhaps they’re right. But I’ve never been into small quick builds, I need to be building something that is going to take me time to put together and set me new challenges along the way. You could say I’ve really jumped in at the deep end here but that is me and it's something I enjoy about this hobby. There are quite a few Bismarck builds on the forum so I don’t expect there to be a large following with this but for those who do decide to follow, I will try and make this diary as detailed as possible so hope you enjoy.

It is not my intention to a kit review, there are several great review videos on the tube for those that want to have a look at what’s inside the box. I have included pics of the photo etch and samples of the decking. Lastly, I will be using Stefan Draminski’s book, The Battleship Bismark as a reference. An excellent book with some great drawings and colour 3D views.

Now let’s go and have some fun.... build will start very soon and will take time.... hope you enjoy...

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
Bis002.JPG
Bis003.JPG
Bis004.JPG
Bis005.JPG
Bis006.JPG
Bis007.JPG
Bis008.JPG
Bis009.JPG
Bis010.JPG
Bis011.JPG
Bis012.JPG
Bis013.JPG
Bis014.JPG
Bis015.JPG
Bis017.JPG
Bis019.JPG
Bis018.JPG
Bis020.JPG
Bis021.JPG
Bis022.JPG
Bis023.JPG
Bis024.JPG
Bis001.JPG
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 03 November 2020 19:08:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Yep your stark raving bonkers Alan LOL BigGrin LOL
But what a great idea for for a new plastic build!
Well I for one will be following, hoping to see you work your usual magic ThumpUp
The kit and etch look really good, so will be interesting to see what you turn out.

Regards Gray
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 03 November 2020 19:33:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Alan,Blink

(Thought processes must be working, I`m getting a headache)

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Lost the plot, definitely in the deep end.

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Beer at the ready large bags of crisps and peanuts at the ready.

Post away. I`m up for following this.

CAUTION: Mind your fingers with super glue. You can`t dissolve it with warm water like Aliphatic.

LOL Flapper LOL Flapper LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#4 Posted : 03 November 2020 20:02:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Alan

I have really enjoyed following along with your wood ship builds as they have been outstanding and your build diaries on another level.

I can appreciate your comments and wish you well in your new ventures with plastic and etch. I am betting this will turn into something very special and i have put this post on “watch” to ensure i do not miss any if your updates.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 03 November 2020 20:35:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Count me in as one of your followers. Cool ThumpUp

In the deep end,nahhhh, this will be a breeze after what you’ve been doing.Laugh

Really looking forward to this, best of luck.

Mark
tf64
#6 Posted : 03 November 2020 22:11:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan,

This kit must be like a touch of fresh to you,I am sure you will create a wonderful finished build as always, looking forward to your posts .

Kind Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

magpie1832
#7 Posted : 03 November 2020 22:56:28

Great to see you are starting this. I know how you feel after spending many years doing wooden ships, plastic is a refreshing change. But eventually the wood pulls you back Lol.

If you need any help you know where I am BigGrin

I use the Top drawings book for the Tirpitz. Very good book and has 1/200 scale plans in there too.

This Video helps out sometimes too.

With the build, read the instructions through several times and compare it with the Pontos Instructions etc as they can trip you.

Good Luck Alan I'll be watching Cool

Chris

On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

nightwisher
#8 Posted : 03 November 2020 23:22:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to following this build Alan . I do agree with Magpie though, eventually the call of the wooden ship will call you back Laugh
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
darbyvet
#9 Posted : 04 November 2020 00:15:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

oooh looking forward to this.I hope you like gluing tiny pieces of plastic together!!

Carl

mogwai
#10 Posted : 04 November 2020 11:16:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi count me in as one your followers, if your still sane after all that etch you be doing well,cheers mick BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
RM1
#11 Posted : 04 November 2020 14:18:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan, Interesting looking project. Loads of PE, is that decking a laser cut wood veneer? I'll be following the progress.
Malc.
goddo
#12 Posted : 04 November 2020 20:13:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Alan,
I will be watching this build very closely.
Good luck with the new medium of plastic .
Chris
roymattblack
#13 Posted : 04 November 2020 23:21:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I have to say - this looks UTTERLY insane!
I don't think I've EVER seen an additional etch set for a kit that clearly contains FAR more parts than the kit itself.

Having seen your work though Alan, I have no doubts whatever that this will be a MONSTER of a build.
I will definitely be watching this.Love Love Love
Gandale
#14 Posted : 05 November 2020 00:40:29

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks guys, looks like this is going to have a bigger following than I thought it would so appreciate the encouragement. One thing I do need to clarify though is to say I have not in any way given up my desire to work or build with wood again, far from it. What I have decided is to cease doing period ships. In wood I have available to me the Yamato, Akagi, Roma, Titanic and the Hood, certainly enough to keep me going for some time to come....BigGrin BigGrin For now though, I just wanted to do something different and judging by the comments made I think we can all agree that my sanity has most definitely gone out the window but I do feel my mojo has been re-ignited....Cool Cool

Ok, so onto the next bit.... Spent a fair bit of time reading through all the various instructions and now have the start of a plan of action. So much to do and learn here that for me, the best way to start is to start with something simple, something to break me into the skills that will eventually be needed....Cool Cool . There is a mass of sub assemblies to be done so for now the hull will stay securely in its box until they are done. To start me off did a few of the vents with more to do yet, but, at least I've started.....LOL LOL LOL .. What I did find here is when fitting the vent covers there was little in the way of contact areas for applying the CA. The vent covers have tiny little hinges and by bending these slightly upwards it gave a better grip for the glue.... More again soon....

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
Bis025.JPG
Bis026.JPG
Bis27.JPG
Bis028.JPG
Bis029.JPG
tf64
#15 Posted : 05 November 2020 08:07:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

They're so small now that is a good start, bet you will be looking for an Etched processing vise.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

DaDokta
#16 Posted : 05 November 2020 11:46:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start - will be following with interest!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
tigerace
#17 Posted : 05 November 2020 13:17:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Superb kitCool Alan all those extras too amazing Drool looks like you`re of to a good start will be followingBigGrin

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

delboy271155
#18 Posted : 05 November 2020 18:14:32

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Alan, BigGrin

Looks like you`re off to a good start considering its a new style of building to you. WTG

Cool Love Cool Love Cool

I`m sure you will be screaming to get at the bigger bits before long, but you take it at your leisure and I`m sure the required results will show in future updates.

Been to Tesco today and have a plentiful supply of peanuts and crisps. Home brew in good supply.

Now I have someone to blame when SWMBO says I`m putting on weight.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Keep it coming,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Sticky Wickett
#19 Posted : 05 November 2020 20:38:15

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan, with your excellent modelling skills i'm sure this will be a stunning build!Love

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
birdaj2
#20 Posted : 05 November 2020 23:42:33

Alan

That is a great start on sone very small parts.

All very neatly glued together as well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach