Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages <1234>»
Gandale’s Enhanced Trumpeter Bismarck Options
Markwarren
#21 Posted : 06 November 2020 09:06:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Off to a great start Alan.Love Love Very meet and tidy assembly.Love Love

Mark
Gandale
#22 Posted : 06 November 2020 16:29:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks to all of you, appreciate you looking in and commenting...

Bit more done, managed to finish the last 2 small vents and from there moved onto something a little more challenging, the first of the Artillery Range Finders. First I noticed there was a very noticeable gouge on the hatch at the top, this I filled with a little putty and sanded down. Next task was to carefully remove the ladder rungs and sand the unit smooth then attach the circular base.

For the fitting of the new ladders to the rear and sides the etch set provides templates for drilling the holes. These were simply taped into position using clear tape then the holes were drilled with a 0.3mm bit. The rungs were carefully removed from the fret and glued into position. Noticed here that the template for the rear of the unit contains 5 pairs of holes to be drilled but all reference material I've seen shows there are only 4 rungs so left the last one off for now. Also, the two side sets of rungs is missing a rung which is fitted on the circular base section. Have left these off for now as I don't know as yet whether there are any extra rungs provided with the etch set, may have to fabricate and fit these later.

Cut the 4 rail pieces and glued these into position. Have to say this proved to be a little fiddly but found it was good experience gained. Finally added the two arms and dome unit on top.

Have left the radar units for now for two reasons. Firstly, I haven't come to a landing on which version of the Bismarch I'm going to build, earliest versions didn't have the radar units fitted. Secondly, not sure whether to prime and paint the parts of the radar units prior to assembly so will come back to these a little later....

Time to start a second unit, they are all different... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
Bis030.JPG
Bis31.JPG
Bis032.JPG
Bis033.JPG
Bis034.JPG
Bis035.JPG
Bis036.JPG
Bis037.JPG
Bis038.JPG
Bis039.JPG
birdaj2
#23 Posted : 06 November 2020 17:08:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

That is going to look so good with all that additional detail.

You sort of accept on kits the solid moulded grap handles but when you see them replaced by proper rungs it really stands out the difference it makes.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#24 Posted : 06 November 2020 17:33:11

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

birdaj2 wrote:
That is going to look so good with all that additional detail.

You sort of accept on kits the solid moulded grap handles but when you see them replaced by proper rungs it really stands out the difference it makes.

Tony

You're spot on Tony and with this kit the vast majority of moulded detailing has to be removed and replaced with etch, some of which is truly tiny.... Am sure all the effort will be worth it in the end....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
mogwai
#25 Posted : 06 November 2020 21:18:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looking good, very neat work with the etch.cheers mick. BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
magpie1832
#26 Posted : 06 November 2020 23:42:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work with the etch Alan. Fiddly little blighters.

ChrisCool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Markwarren
#27 Posted : 07 November 2020 10:14:51

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You seem to have taken to it like fish in water. After building wooden ships for years, one is for sure you’ve got plenty of patience.
That etched brass just brings a whole new dimension to a kit and you are going a fantastic job so far.Love Love Drool Drool

Mark

Gandale
#28 Posted : 08 November 2020 13:31:37

Thanks for all the comments guys, always appreciated....Cool Cool .. Second of the range finders now assembled. Done in much the same way as the first one, use of templates, drilling holes and the fitting of some etch parts etc. Little bit of a mishap here. One of the footrails (rail that is attached to the side arms) was dropped and unfortunately is somewhere in my workshop. Wouldn't mind if it pinged off somewhere but it was just dropped and is nowhere to be seen. Crying Crying .. Will leave it off the last rangefinder for now, in the hope it will turn up one day. If not then I'll have to fabricate a new one which shouldn't be too much of a problem as it can be done from some of the spare railings I have...Cool Cool .. Filled the locating hole at the top of the unit with putty and sanded it smooth.

Assembled the mooring manoeuvring lighting unit, certainly a fiddly part to get done with some real tiny parts... mounted the unit on top of the range finder. This assembly is now ready for priming.... More again soon....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Bis040.JPG
Bis041.JPG
Bis042.JPG
Bis043.JPG
Bis044.JPG
Bis045.JPG
Bis046.JPG
Bis047.JPG
birdaj2
#29 Posted : 08 November 2020 15:25:50

That all looks incredibly neat Alan.

And thats something else you have great skills in - getting all that etch neatly aligned.

Its so east without locating holes to get things slightly off centre and boy does that stand out, but yours is all going into place perfectly.

Also so impressed on such small parts that your gluing is invisible.

Tony

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#30 Posted : 08 November 2020 15:40:00

Very neat and tidy work.Love Love Adding etched brass to a kit is not as easy as you are making it out to be.

Superb work Alan.

Mark
delboy271155
#31 Posted : 08 November 2020 17:12:50

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

WTG Alan,BigGrin

I see your meticulous work has transferred well from wood to plastic and etch.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Now, as for the missing part you should always feed the carpet monsters before you start work when working with plastic and etch. They hide stuff in the darkest, tightest little spaces you can imagine. A bright light sometimes shows up the bits they haven`t hidden so well.Blink Blink

Keep up the excellent work you`ve started.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#32 Posted : 08 November 2020 18:45:32

Thanks guys and have to agree, its not as easy as it looks to get right but am enjoying it tremendously. Plus, I'm not a pretty picture when I'm deep in concentration and have my tongue sticking out......LOL LOL LOL

@Derek, thanks for the tip with the torch. Made the carpet monster regurgitate the missing item.....Laugh Laugh Laugh .. Its been found....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#33 Posted : 08 November 2020 21:08:32

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Gandale wrote:
Thanks guys and have to agree, its not as easy as it looks to get right but am enjoying it tremendously. Plus, I'm not a pretty picture when I'm deep in concentration and have my tongue sticking out......LOL LOL LOL

@Derek, thanks for the tip with the torch. Made the carpet monster regurgitate the missing item.....Laugh Laugh Laugh .. Its been found....

Regards

Alan

Good to hear. Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

nightwisher
#34 Posted : 08 November 2020 23:36:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start to the build Alan . You have more patience than me ,I find etch very annoying and fiddly Cursing
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
goddo
#35 Posted : 09 November 2020 00:00:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Doing a brilliant job there, Alan.
Your eyesight must be 20/20 for that sort of small detail. BigGrin BigGrin
Glad you found the errant piece in your carpet.
Chris
DaDokta
#36 Posted : 09 November 2020 07:47:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brilliant start, Alan! Looks like some fiddly work!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Garth
#37 Posted : 09 November 2020 12:11:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Alan,
Good luck with your build!
Will be following eagerly. If its anything like your other models - it will turn out fantasticDrool

Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Gandale
#38 Posted : 09 November 2020 23:00:10

Thanks for looking in and commenting guys, appreciated....Cool Cool

Got some more done, assembled the third of the range finders and this one was the same as the second one. Decided to have a go at assembling the After Mast which sits on top of this range finder. It is here I found my first moan about the Pontos instructions. The mast contains some 30 etch and brass parts and some of them are absolutely tiny. The instructions show you three small photos but does not give an order of assembly nor do they say which way the parts should be bent. Had to study the pics very carefully, magnified too. This with lots of dry fits enabled me to work out an order of assembly and I think I got there. Definitely the most complex and fiddly thing I've worked on....Cool Cool .. Now to decide what to do next....BigGrin BigGrin

Happy modelling

Regards

Alan

Bis048.JPG
Bis049.JPG
Bis050.JPG
Bis051.JPG
Bis052.JPG
Bis053.JPG
Bis054.JPG
Bis055.JPG
Bis056.JPG
Bis057.JPG
tf64
#39 Posted : 10 November 2020 13:16:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That does look small and tricky but also looks very professional, looking forward to the next post.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Gandale
#40 Posted : 11 November 2020 00:33:57

Thanks Trev, thanks for looking in and for your comments.....

Had a closer look at the radar dishes that sit at the front of the range finder units, with a view on how to construct and paint. It was here I realised there is much more to the construction of these than I first thought. Each radar dish contains a total of 24 separate parts so with 3 to do that's 72 parts in total. Assembled the 3 separate units for each dish and it is here I will pause with the final assembly being done when the units are primed and painted. Think they will be easier to paint this way....Cool Cool .. Until next time....

Regards

Alan
Bis058.JPG
Bis059.JPG
Bis060.JPG
Bis061.JPG
Bis062.JPG
Bis064.JPG
Bis065.JPG
Bis066.JPG