Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages <12345>»
Gandale’s Enhanced Trumpeter Bismarck Options
Markwarren
#41 Posted : 11 November 2020 09:08:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Well, for your first plastic kit, I don’t think I’ve seen as much etch brass as this.
Very very nice work, your concentration level must be through the roof.

Excellent work AlanLove Love

Mark
darbyvet
#42 Posted : 11 November 2020 17:43:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Alan showing that his modelling skills easily translate to plastic kits.The photoetched work is absolutely stunning.

Carl

delboy271155
#43 Posted : 11 November 2020 17:57:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Alan, BigGrin

With the amount of etch in this build (all of which is being constructed very skilfully), you do realise that you are still going to have half a kit of plastic left in the box at the end. Blink LOL Blink

Keep up the great work.Cool

regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

magpie1832
#44 Posted : 11 November 2020 23:22:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work Alan. Lots of PE on show and even more to come. This is gonig to be a stunning build by you.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#45 Posted : 12 November 2020 01:09:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks guys, support means a lot....Cool Cool Cool .. Made up another 18 intake vents today and that's all I got done... Not a lot so will post up a pic of them next time round.....Cool Cool .. Next, it is my intention to start on some of the superstructures, a lot of work to be done on these.....Cool Cool . Post up soon...

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#46 Posted : 14 November 2020 01:49:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

As mentioned in my previous post, another 18 small vents have now been completed and ready for priming. Next, I moved onto starting work on the superstructures and this I think is where the build will slow down. First task was to drill out all the portholes, in preparation for when lighting to the kit will be added. Then, after careful study of the etch instructions and my reference material, I removed all of the moulded detail from the sides of the aft superstructure. Once done, gave it a final sanding with 1200 grit sandpaper. Have now started to fit the etch and this is a task that will take time. The etch detail is far crisper than the moulded detail so hopefully the effort will all be worthwhile.... Will post up again when I've done with the aft superstructure.... Happy modelling all....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF9938.JPG
DSCF9939.JPG
DSCF9940.JPG
DSCF9941.JPG
DSCF9945.JPG
CaptnBirdseye
#47 Posted : 14 November 2020 10:23:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I think someone’s been hiding their light under a bushel Sneaky What a great job you are making with this kit ThumpUp Are you sure you haven’t been doing this for decades BigGrin LOL BigGrin

Well done Al

Regards Gray
mogwai
#48 Posted : 14 November 2020 11:08:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi coming along very well indeed ,the etch certainly lifts it to another level, cheers mick. BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Markwarren
#49 Posted : 14 November 2020 12:25:16

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Love what you are doing, and such a great job for someone who has only built wooden kits. I take my hat off to you.Love Love Drool

Mark
Gandale
#50 Posted : 14 November 2020 17:44:34

Thanks gents, nothing more done today as been busy with forum work. Will get back onto it this evening.... Appreciate the kind comments....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#51 Posted : 14 November 2020 18:40:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Those etch parts make such a monumental difference.
Upgrade sets are available for some model car kits but nothing like on this level.
This is going to be epic.Love
budgie
#52 Posted : 14 November 2020 21:13:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi Alan
congrats on purchasing the Bismarck one of the most eye catching ships.Drool Drool
Will be following with interest as you apply your magic to itCool

Hope you don't mind me asking
Q1Confused Does the photo etch parts like you have done on the hatchway lie on top of the plastic hatchway or do you have to first sand the preformed moulded one of first.

Q2 are u fitting a wooden deck if so do you have to sand the plastic replication off the deck to leave a flat surface or is it designed to sit on top off the plastic deck

Lookin' fwd to more pics as you progress

Stew
Gandale
#53 Posted : 14 November 2020 22:48:57

Roy, Stew, thanks for looking in and commenting. Appreciated as always...Cool Cool

@Stew - to get the etch to sit nicely it is best to sand off the plastic mouldings first so you have a flat base to work from....

As for the wooden decks, they certainly look good but I do have my eyes on something I think will be even better than the Pontos decking, just waiting for goodies to arrive. There are certainly a number of moulded deck fittings that will have to be removed before the deck can be fitted. It is also likely I will sand the complete deck area down but won't make that decision until the time comes....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#54 Posted : 15 November 2020 23:03:58

A small amount of progress made with the fitting of more etch. Found that one of the portholes in the indented circular section was in the wrong place, filled the porthole with putty, sanding it smooth and drilled it in its correct position. Am finding with each piece I add my fitting technique improves...BigGrin BigGrin .. By the time I have finished I should of mastered how to work with it....LOL LOL .. Slow progress but progress non the less.....Cool Cool

Regards

DSCF9948.JPG
DSCF9951.JPG
delboy271155
#55 Posted : 15 November 2020 23:15:15

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well worked slow progress is 100% better than naff rushed progress.

You keep going the way you are.Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#56 Posted : 15 November 2020 23:28:11

Again, some excellent work Alan.Drool Drool
Perfection is never rushed.Cool

Mark
birdaj2
#57 Posted : 16 November 2020 00:00:51

Lots of nice detail you are adding to your model Alan.

That is an impressive update set you have yourself there.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
admin
#58 Posted : 16 November 2020 07:47:34

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Alan, what reference books are you using?
Gandale
#59 Posted : 16 November 2020 09:54:38

admin wrote:
Alan, what reference books are you using?

Thanks guys.....

Mark, my main reference book is this one plus a number of websites.....

Regards

Alan
Bis024.JPG
roymattblack
#60 Posted : 17 November 2020 09:54:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

'Colour 3D views'...?
Sounds interesting...Cool