Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages «<7891011>»
Gandale’s Enhanced Trumpeter Bismarck Options
birdaj2
#161 Posted : 26 January 2021 00:32:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Alan

That etch set is well thought out. I really like how they have supplied drilling templates for the ladder rungs.

You certainly have lots of parts to build with this one so good value in terms of the build time it gives you.

Hope it all continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
roymattblack
#162 Posted : 26 January 2021 09:16:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Eeepers Jeepers...!
Eyes of a hawk springs to mind. Absolutely mind-boggling work there Alan.Love
Gandale
#163 Posted : 15 February 2021 22:43:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

My thanks to everyone who looked in and for your kind comments, always appreciated… Cool Cool.. The build progressed a little by firstly modifying the forward listening array. Ensured all the holes were filled before taping the drilling template in place. This is a single template that is simply reversed to drill the holes on the opposite side. Drilled out the new holes then did the same on the other side.

Assembled and fitted the Screw Savers, then fitted three tiny rigging loops and the swing booms. Next task was to fit the Magnetic Self Protection System or MES along the side of the hull. This system was used as defence against magnetic mines and torpedoes. This is not part of the kit but a modification I decided to add by using 1m lengths of 1mm brass rod.

Finally, the pics showing the wooden decking has been added to show the difference between that supplied with the Pontos kit and the Scaledecks version I’ve managed to get my hands on. The difference is quite striking and as a result I’ll be using the Scaledecks set. The first 5 deck pics are the Pontos set and the last 6 pics are the Scaledecks.

That’s it for now so until the next update, happy modeling…Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF0094.JPG
DSCF0095.JPG
DSCF0096.JPG
DSCF0099.JPG
DSCF0100.JPG
DSCF0101.JPG
DSCF0100.JPG
DSCF0115.JPG
DSCF0117.JPG
DSCF0116.JPG
DSCF0118.JPG
DSCF0102.JPG
DSCF0103.JPG
DSCF0104.JPG
DSCF0105.JPG
DSCF0106.JPG
DSCF0107.JPG
DSCF0108.JPG
DSCF0109.JPG
DSCF0110.JPG
DSCF0111.JPG
DSCF0112.JPG
tf64
#164 Posted : 15 February 2021 23:04:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a lovely build Alan, very close work to, and it certainly has that real look about it already.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Markwarren
#165 Posted : 15 February 2021 23:16:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Beautiful work Alan, the detailing on this is stunning.Love Love As for the decking, the difference is staggering. A very good investment going for the Scaledecks.

Mark
roymattblack
#166 Posted : 16 February 2021 12:34:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Once again, staggering work Alan. Just a complete joy to follow.
That decking looks fantastic. A worthwhile upgrade.Love
goddo
#167 Posted : 16 February 2021 13:58:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Great work Alan. I'm envious of your patience, skill and above all, eyesight.
Look forward to seeing much more.
Chris
tigerace
#168 Posted : 17 February 2021 12:28:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Those decks are something else Alan will have a look at them Drool Drool the etch work is so perfect amazing Love Love

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

darbyvet
#169 Posted : 17 February 2021 16:11:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a masterclass in building Alan. The finished model will be spectacular

Carl

mogwai
#170 Posted : 17 February 2021 19:20:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi this coming along very well on such intricate work,look forward to your next update cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
RM1
#171 Posted : 17 February 2021 20:26:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That decking is very impressive. !!
Malc.
Kev the Modeller
#172 Posted : 18 February 2021 15:32:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Another excellent update Alan. I'm continually amazed at how good your skills are with plastic modelling and all of that etchwork, given that this is your first foray into both types of media. That wooden deck upgrade will look fantastic when fitted and will surely make all of the difference?

Well done Alan and keep it coming, looking good. Cool Drool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
delboy271155
#173 Posted : 18 February 2021 17:50:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Wood decking is a stunning addition to any plastic ship kit.

Will look bang on.Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

DaDokta
#174 Posted : 19 February 2021 08:37:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Such an impressive build, Alan!! All that etch is looking great!

Also those Scaledecks look fantastic - although i wouldn`t be allowed to use them in Austria :)
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Garth
#175 Posted : 19 February 2021 10:30:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Alan,
Your build is just getting better & better!!!
All the PE makes such a difference.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Silent_Running
#176 Posted : 19 February 2021 14:17:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I’m absolutely loving this build Alan, I’ll be following all the way. Since you have so much etch in there are you going to add a lighting kit to this build as well. Superb work my friend. 👍 😃
Gandale
#177 Posted : 26 February 2021 23:08:00

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks to everyone for looking in and all the kind comments. As usual it is very much appreciated.

A little more progress made but this was actually quite time consuming. The steps covered in this post are either additions to the actual build, ie, not covered in the instructions or the Pontos etch set. It also set me my first attempt at remodelling plastic, during which I will have to say put my heart in my mouth a few times. Happy to say am happy with how its going so far.

First I added the anti-corrosion strips to the two propeller shaft support struts using 0.5x1mm wooden strip. Added three tiny rings under the stern section, these I believe were used to assist in aligning the propellers during fitting.

The next task was to remodel the bow section. The lower bow section is missing the forward and side sonar transmitters. First I marked out their positions then, using my trusty Dremel with a fine dental burr, I set about carving out the three transmitter housings, a slow and delicate task as I didn’t want to go all the way through the hull. Cleaned everything up then glued the wooden transmitters in place.

Last task was to reposition the forward anchor hole, it was actually too low and of the wrong shape. Filled the old hole earlier in the build but here is where I drilled the new one in place. Think once everything is given a coat of primer it should all look ok.

Next, start working on the inside of the hull to see what needs to be done to eliminate potential light bleed for when the lighting goes in. So with that, until next time, happy modelling.....Cool Cool

Regards
Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF0121.JPG
DSCF0123.JPG
DSCF0132.JPG
DSCF0133.JPG
DSCF0124.JPG
DSCF0127.JPG
DSCF0129.JPG
DSCF0131.JPG
tf64
#178 Posted : 27 February 2021 00:14:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A very well informed update Alan, showing us your skills from wood to plastic, and with all the PE this build will look stunning when finished.

Well done

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Markwarren
#179 Posted : 27 February 2021 09:22:30

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work Alan. Love Love Drool Drool . That’s what I like about this hobby, a lot of research is done to pick out all that detail that would otherwise not exist in the model. Keep it coming Alan.Love

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#180 Posted : 27 February 2021 22:01:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Fabulous modelling skills on show here as always Alan, with a heck of a lot of added detail going into your model and all very neatly executed, very well done. Cool ThumpUp

Almost good enough to tempt a non ship builder like myself to want to have a go at building one! Blink BigGrin

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra