Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Diorama: Great white shark attacks hot air balloon Options
THM
#1 Posted : 04 November 2020 12:32:16

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here. I hope you like my latest diorama.

It is the third that I do and I would like to show you the process and the problems that I have had.

I really liked the idea of creating a dynamic diorama, representing the precise moment in which the action occurs.

Also, I wanted the diorama to be a lamp (it's a gift for my nephew).

In the previous dioramas I have used a rather horizontal proportion but in this one I was looking for something more vertical.

It has been a longer process than I thought and at some points I have encountered problems that in the end I have been able to solve.

The idea of ​​making a hot air balloon that is suspended in the air and that is not noticeable is very nice but it is more difficult than I thought.

On the one hand, the basket of the hot air balloon is made with balsa wood to weigh less but at the same time it is a problem to hold the envelope.

For the balloon shape I used an air balloon and Mod Podge. I thought that several layers of Mod Podge would be enough but no, I had to put some resin inside a balloon to harden the shape of the envelope a little more.

As you can see it has not been completely uniform but I like the way it has been because it seems that it is being moved suddenly.

To join the envelope with the basket I have used wire. I've been experimenting with rope and epoxy but they weren't strong enough. The wire is strong but balsa wood is not, so I had to reinforce the box with stronger wood.

The figures of the diorama, the white shark and the person, are made with Sculpey polymer clay. I am not an expert in sculpture but I think the figures have not been bad at all.

The shark has been much easier than the human, due to the shape and size of the figure. As you can see in the video, the sculpture of the human is a bit burned. I think that the temperature indicator on my oven does not work perfectly and that is why it has burned a little more.

I have used epoxy resin in my previous dioramas and once again, the use of epoxy resin has not been easy. I wanted to make the waves with epoxy so I thought about doing the inverted waves in the forex. The result has not been 100% as I wanted but I do not dislike it. When closing the resin I created many bubbles, it was not the effect I wanted but it does not look bad since it is the moment when the shark comes out of the water. There is also some forex in the resin and that is why I have to clean it with the dremel in the video.

You can see all the techniques that I have used in the video that I have uploaded to YouTube.

Watch the Video on YouTube HERE

I hope you liked it.
THM
#2 Posted : 04 November 2020 12:38:47

I am learning how the forum works and I see that the images are not inserted in the text, is it normal?
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 04 November 2020 12:50:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

The images will only show if you resize them to under 145kb...

Anything bigger and they won't be seen - just a file name.
To get them 'within' the text, you would have to post each piece of text and the image separately.

Roy.
THM
#4 Posted : 04 November 2020 13:01:17

Thanks Roy! I'm going to delete it and try uploading the images again.

roymattblack wrote:
The images will only show if you resize them to under 145kb...

Anything bigger and they won't be seen - just a file name.
To get them 'within' the text, you would have to post each piece of text and the image separately.

Roy.

THM
#5 Posted : 04 November 2020 13:23:59

I am new to this forum, so my first post has not been as I would like ... but I will upload the photos againLaugh
THM attached the following image(s):
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 1.jpg
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 2.jpg
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 4.jpg
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 5.jpg
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 3.jpg
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 6.jpg
THM
#6 Posted : 04 November 2020 13:26:01

And here the photos of the finished diorama

THM attached the following image(s):
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 8.jpg
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 7.jpg
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 9.jpg
Treehouse Models White Shark Attacks Hot Air Balloon 600x480 10.jpg
Sticky Wickett
#7 Posted : 19 November 2020 12:50:51

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic diorama! Love this!Love

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
roymattblack
#8 Posted : 19 November 2020 13:01:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That is just SO clever.
Love it!Love
darbyvet
#9 Posted : 19 November 2020 15:41:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

beautiful work.The water effect on the shark is very realistic and a very creative idea.Please post more of your work for us to admire.

Carl

THM
#10 Posted : 24 November 2020 09:01:28

Sticky Wickett wrote:
Fantastic diorama! Love this!Love

Regards,
Phil W.

Thanks a lot Phil! Smile
THM
#11 Posted : 24 November 2020 09:02:31

roymattblack wrote:
That is just SO clever.
Love it!Love

Thanks!!!! Smile
THM
#12 Posted : 24 November 2020 09:05:19

darbyvet wrote:
beautiful work.The water effect on the shark is very realistic and a very creative idea.Please post more of your work for us to admire.

Carl

Thank you Carl! I will upload more photos of my dioramas in the coming days.Smile
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 24 November 2020 09:25:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very well done, the effect you have created is fabulous.Drool Drool

Mark
admin
#14 Posted : 25 November 2020 06:08:33

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This is a GREAT introduction! I always enjoy looking at something new, and well off the beaten path!

Mil gracias para los photos, en el format correcto. ¿Es facil, no? En pixels, 400 x 600 es mejor. El software que tenemos esta tan viejo.

Otra vez, gracias.

Mark