Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
SMS Gneisenau Options
birdaj2
#21 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:56:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Now this is really interesting.

I thought (wrongly) you had yourself a plastic kit to build. Never realised it was one of the card kits.

And your take on converting it to wood is really interesting.

I hope you get on really well with your build and i will be eagerly following along to see how you get on.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#22 Posted : 21 November 2020 20:11:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

huge scaleBlink this is going to be something to followBigGrin great startBigGrin

Regards philCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Gandale
#23 Posted : 21 November 2020 23:49:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's really starting to take shape now, looking good Budgie....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#24 Posted : 22 November 2020 10:37:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Morning Folks
Thanks for popping' in and taking the time to comment

Starting to glue the frames to the keel

As the frames go into the keel from the bottom.....
I applied the glue liberally and brushed into the joins

Too lazy to remove from jig apply glue to keel and frame then try and get everything back Bored into the jig again

Made a start on the lower frame supports ...following as per CARD build

These were made out of 3mm mdf instead of 2mm

This should offer more area to glue the "planking" or "inner skin" between the frames then sand flush with the frames
Well thats the planCrying
Also 3mm mdf is cheaper than 2mmLOL Flapper LOL
Thanks for lookin'
budgie attached the following image(s):
glueframes1.jpg
frame support1.jpg
Sticky Wickett
#25 Posted : 26 November 2020 22:54:10

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Budgie, you've done a great job on transferring the paper templates to wood. Very neat and great progress!Cool

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
birdaj2
#26 Posted : 26 November 2020 22:57:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That is moving along very nicely.

I am finding this build very interesting and look forward to your next update.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
budgie
#27 Posted : 27 November 2020 16:54:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi Folks
Just a wee update of progress so far

Still doing the supports for the bottom frames, and to help break the monotony glueing the upper frames in place

The decks are not glued as still to remove the card templates, they were slid into place to keep the frames squarish

Talking off breaks ..Crying I broke the pointy bit of one of the decks at the bow but not concerned as will be filling that area

Thanks for lookin'
support.jpg
support1.jpg
support3.jpg
support4.jpg
support2.jpg
Markwarren
#28 Posted : 27 November 2020 17:33:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is looking very nice. Great work.Drool Drool

Mark
budgie
#29 Posted : 28 November 2020 15:02:09

BigGrin Afternoon Folks

Started planking in between the lower frames using 3mm thick strips

As these will be covered with an outer skin or planking I just cut strips from the A3 size mdf sheet

These planks will eventually be sanded flush with the frames

The decks are still not glued in place they are to help keep everything tidily boo especially when out of the jig

She was removed from the jig to add the planks then put back in the jig when taking a break

I was Blink thinking Bored about using the templates as per a card build for the outer skin...
by using styrene

I think it is a good idea IF I can get the styrene to stick to the hull

Has anybody tried this and if so what glue would you recommend

Thanks for lookin'
planking.jpg
plank1.jpg
plank2.jpg
plank3.jpg
budgie
#30 Posted : 28 November 2020 21:25:03

BigGrin Evenin' Folks
progressing slowly Cursing but quicker than trying to see pics of other build diariesCursing

Very frustrating

Anyhoos pics of progress if u can see em

saw.jpg
glue1.jpg
GLUE3.jpg
GLUE4.jpg
GLUE5.jpg
Plymouth57
#31 Posted : 28 November 2020 21:59:06

Hi there Budgie!

She's coming on beautifully! (And big!)BigGrin
Eventually, one day in the future sometime (timing is non-committal as yet)Blink I will be using styrene sheet on my own card model ship conversions but as I'll be using plasticard for the ribs and structure as well, it'll just be the normal 'welding' type liquid poly glues for mine. I don't think there's any way to weld the plastic sheet to MDF, it would have to be one of the contact adhesives I think, probably one of the 'Evostick' family. The only problem then of course is that its an instant grab application so you'll have to be dead on target first time with no 'wiggle room'!
The hull sides and superstructure should be fairly straightforward but you might need to heat or warm up the styrene to pre-form it to the bow and stern curves (unless the sheet is really thin and flexible).
The best of luck with your solutions anyway, (and yes, I will be pinching them for mine in the future!)Flapper

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
birdaj2
#32 Posted : 28 November 2020 22:49:21

It did take a good few refreshes b3fore your pictures appeared but got therein the end and your build looks good.

Not sure if the following “WikiHow” might be of interest as it gives some suggestions on gluing plastic to wood.

https://www.wikihow.com/Adhere-Plastic-to-Wood

Tony
Happy Modelling

delboy271155
#33 Posted : 29 November 2020 16:33:12

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This is looking really good. Cool Love Cool

The size is amazing and I`m looking forward to the future updates.

Well done so far.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

budgie
#34 Posted : 29 November 2020 16:38:46

BigGrin Hi Folks
Thanks for replying Robin and Tony appreciated

Sounds like I will have to experiment Crying with contact glue which I have not used before if I decide to use styrene for the outer skin

Anyhoos got some more of the hull "planks" done but after a couple of hours started to get fed up

Tried to fight the urge to see what she will look like after a bit of sanding and lostLOL

Sanded the "planks" that I did yesterday as the glue will have set on those

The dark patchy line is glue mixed with sawdust still a bit damp
Have not sanded down to the actual frames just yet (red marker pen) that will get done once the lower hull has been fully planked and sanded

Thanks for lookin'
sand5.jpg
sand2.jpg
sand1.jpg
Plymouth57
#35 Posted : 29 November 2020 17:04:49

Hi again Tony!

Just had a thought, whilst you are experimenting, I wonder what a few coats of the epoxy resin used in fibre-glassing would be like if that was brushed over the mdf and sanded smooth once cured? That should bond to the mdf ok and if thick enough could also have panel lines inscribed too.

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
budgie
#36 Posted : 04 December 2020 16:52:29

tigerace wrote:
huge scaleBlink this is going to be something to followBigGrin great startBigGrin

Regards philCool

Cool Hi Phil
believe the 1/200 scale Bismark is 1250mm
I have doubled the scale on this model to 1/100 giving length of @ 1440mm so not too badLOL

Anyhoos getting there slowly with filling in the gaps between the lower frames leaving theCrying pointy end and stern till lastCrying
glue.jpg
glue2.jpg
glue7.jpg
glue9.jpg
glue10.jpg
tigerace
#37 Posted : 05 December 2020 15:20:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love the fairy dustLOL LOL looks great so far BudgieCool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

budgie
#38 Posted : 05 December 2020 19:58:03

delboy271155 wrote:
This is looking really good. Cool Love Cool

The size is amazing and I`m looking forward to the future updates.

Well done so far.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Hi Derek
reading through my diary I realised that you had posted while I was fiddling about posting pics and thanking Robin and Tony for answering my question on gluing styrene to wood.

Not much of an update today as got dragged out to the high street for xmas shopping

sanding.jpg
sanding1.jpg
sanding2.jpg
Markwarren
#39 Posted : 06 December 2020 10:44:03

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Wow, just catching up on this fantastic build.Drool Drool Drool
Looking very good so far, you almost want your own dockyard, it’s that big.Love

Mark
Gandale
#40 Posted : 06 December 2020 22:35:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making good steady progress and a joy to follow.... She's certainly growing....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan