Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
SMS Gneisenau Options
budgie
#41 Posted : 12 December 2020 17:53:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Evening Folks.....thanks for taking the time to comment ....appreciated

Blushing Slow progress with planking between the lower frames (watermark line is further up the frames)

My aim is to achieve a smooth finish rather than a pretty one as it will be covered with a second planking or summit elseLOL

Cool Hats off to you Folks who do single planked period ships where the planks are in symmetry on each sideLove Love

This ship should actually have four torpedo tubes. Fwd, aft, port and stbd midship but this model only has the fwd one representedCrying

Anyhoos some pics off progress so far

Thanks for lookin'

budgie attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
Plymouth57
#42 Posted : 13 December 2020 17:23:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming on beautifully Budgie! She is going to be a monster like the others have said!Cool Cool
My very first wooden ship model was the Constructo Grimsby 'English Frigate' - about 1/72 scale and single planked with 2mm thick sapelle planks. Fortunately, my workroom back then was on the back of the garage, plenty of ventilation and (using my first book on planking for help) I soaked the planks overnight in neat household ammonia in a huge glass laboratory test tube thingy. The next day they were bendy enough to pin to the ribs and dry in-situ before trimming them to size and gluing in place. The first time I came across double planking was building my brother's DelPrado Bounty and my own DelPrado HMS Victory - cor, what a difference!BigGrin
This one's going to look fantastic!Cool
Best of luck...

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
budgie
#43 Posted : 13 December 2020 18:09:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi Robyn
thanks for your reply really appreciated as thought I was talking to my self Flapper

Idealy I would like to skin the hull with styrene as I have ample supplies from previous attempts (failed)

Sticking styrene to a wooden base maybe a bit expensive with contact glue or a 2 part epoxy

Sitting on seteee reading thru the telly mags for inspiration hoping that something might be good on telly over the Crimbo period

Cool Why don't I use the mag as hull covering

Picked that inspiration from lookingCool at Doris's build of several period ships mmmmm cheapDrool Drool

Sounds like a plan
budgie
#44 Posted : 18 December 2020 17:38:06

BigGrin Hi Folks

Managed to damage 2 upper frames when removing the elastic bands ...must have gotten stuck in the slots when I removed them Crying

Cool I have photocopied those frames again and will glue either side of the damaged area

Have started working up the way between frames 1 - 7

Glued in strips similar to the lower hull for planks to sit on between the frames

The fwd area between frames 3 and 6 ..the hull is rounded to join the upper deck...like a cross between Stickies U boat and Tigerace''s Schnellboot

I have made more of those frames to give me a larger surface area to play on when it comes to shaping those lines.
Well that's the planLOL
Thanks for lookin'
10.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
14.jpg
birdaj2
#45 Posted : 18 December 2020 22:20:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Planking looks very good.

You are making a really nice job of this one so much so it looks as good as a pre cut out commercial kit.

There are always slight issues like those 2 frames breaking but you are well skilled in putting that right.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
budgie
#46 Posted : 24 December 2020 09:30:29

birdaj2 wrote:
Planking looks very good.

You are making a really nice job of this one so much so it looks as good as a pre cut out commercial kit.

There are always slight issues like those 2 frames breaking but you are well skilled in putting that right.

Tony

Hi Tony
Thanks for the reply
I am quite chuffed with how the lower planking has turned out so far

I will be a bit more worried when it comes to the area around the rudder and propsCrying

BigGrin Anyhoos Folks not done a great deal this week but pics of progress so far

Perhaps will get a bit more time over the ???"festive"??? periodLOL

Cool Hope Santa is good to you's and brings you the models and tools you's want

Merry Xmas A'body
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
John Passmore
#47 Posted : 24 December 2020 15:45:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Budgie

Just come across this one and it is (as they say here in OZ) a real ripper...BigGrin

I note with keen interest you are using 2 and 3mm MDF so I shall be following this build very closely to get some hints on my Adelaide...Cool I wanted to use 2mm MDF but it's not available here...Crying

Keep going mate, it's looking terrific....BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
budgie
#48 Posted : 24 December 2020 21:30:38

[quote=John Passmore]Hi Budgie

I note with keen interest you are using 2 and 3mm MDF so I shall be following this build very closely to get some hints on my Adelaide...Cool I wanted to use 2mm MDF but it's not available here...Crying

BigGrin Hi John, thanks for lookin'

Been following your build and I am doing the opposite from you Confused

Trust me to get it back to frontLOL LOL LOL

I am using 2mm for the keel and frames and 3mm for planking in-between the frames only because I am building as a card model

Will be following your build with interest

I am wondering whether your frames will be wide enough to join 2 strips of planking (unless your planks are a meter long so you don't need to )

budgie
#49 Posted : 27 December 2020 14:11:02

BigGrin Hi Folks

Plodding along slowly filling in the spaces

Sanding as I am going along but cannot continue sanding so it is flush with the upper frames at the moment

As the upper frames are not as wide as the lower ones I have stopped sanding in case I remove too much of the lower planking

Thinking about it,Confused I think I should add a row of the second planking thus giving an edge not to go below

Next I will need to make a sanding block by gluing sand paper to one surface only
I can then run the "baldy" part of the block along the edge of the 2nd planking till sanded flush with the frames

Sounds like a planLOL

Flapper This could have been avoided if I started from the top and worked downFlapper

Thanks for lookin'
18.jpg
19.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
John Passmore
#50 Posted : 28 December 2020 07:04:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

budgie wrote:
[quote=John Passmore]Hi Budgie

BigGrin Hi John, thanks for lookin'

Been following your build and I am doing the opposite from you Confused

Trust me to get it back to frontLOL LOL LOL

I am using 2mm for the keel and frames and 3mm for planking in-between the frames only because I am building as a card model

Will be following your build with interest

I am wondering whether your frames will be wide enough to join 2 strips of planking (unless your planks are a meter long so you don't need to )

Hi Budgie

Thanks for following my progress - I think we can help each other without doubt - even though our builds are different!....BigGrin
Re your last query here there is a post in my diary that explains my plans for the hull skin....

Regards
JohnP

JohnP
budgie
#51 Posted : 03 January 2021 12:35:24

BigGrin Hi Folks
Bored Making slow progress filling in the gaps ..but getting there

Blooming' freezing in the shed

Sanding a bit more to break the monotony of filling

Crying Bad news is am having to do this by hand ...
Flapper Good news is I can turn off the portable heater
Thanks for lookin'
20.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
Gandale
#52 Posted : 03 January 2021 14:23:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making excellent progress Budgie despite the mishap with the frames... Very well done....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#53 Posted : 04 January 2021 20:00:42

BigGrin Thanks for lookin' Alan

Crying Still sanding way at the hullCrying

Decided to attempt "rounding" the upper part of the fwd hull which reminds me of a Schnellboot or Submarine

Think the shape is getting there and should improve with a 2nd covering

I will not be laying the deck template on TOP of the frames
I will be laying in-between the frames and sanding flush with the top

This should give me a depth for laying planks
Blink Thanks for lookin'
round1.jpg
round2.jpg
round3.jpg
round4.jpg
budgie
#54 Posted : 08 January 2021 17:03:30

BigGrin Afternoon Folks

Furlough day for me so spent sometime in the shed

Some deck templates were cut out to see if I had wandered off course, hull too thick ,thin, short or long but seems not too bad.

Humming and hawing over whether I should use them, they are 2mm thick but when I lay the deck planks will it be to highCrying

Will need to check Vic or SOS diaries to see what the minimum thickness of the deck planking was used

Too thin and I won't get the planking effect

Glued some strips for upper bulkheads which will need to be sanded flush with frames
Thanks for lookin'
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
38.jpg
Plymouth57
#55 Posted : 08 January 2021 19:20:36

Coming on beautifully as usual budgie!Cool Cool You can see the graceful lines of the hull appearing now. With regards to the deck planks, could you make the wooden decks with a thin wood veneer on top of the 2mm decks instead of thicker wooden planks?
Keep them coming, really enjoying this!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
birdaj2
#56 Posted : 08 January 2021 23:29:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You are doing a brilliant job on your build.

Interesting to hear you work from your shed.

I need to get a modelling space setup so how do you find it working in the shed? Do you have any issues with your wood projects getting damp for instance?

I so want to get a space were i can set up and just dip in and out on a build as the fancy takes. As it is everything gets packed away and its so often i think “lets build” only to then think “no point as by the time you set up its bed time :-)”

Hope the test of your build continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
budgie
#57 Posted : 09 January 2021 03:01:35

BigGrin Thanks for lookin’ Gents

@ Robin
Confused If I use a thin veneer I don’t think I will-see the lines between the planks especially if I they require sanding

Confused This brings up an old argument —“at such and such scale would you see the lines between the planks”

IMHO probably not but it makes the model look a lot more interesting Drool

@Tony
In this weather I have noticed loose sheets of paper lying about in the shed is very obviously showing signs of dampness.
Also some card templates glued to the MDF can show signs after a few days.

I cover the model with an old blanket once finished for the night.

If I was building a period ship like the Vic or SOS I would bring the model indoors after working on her during the winter months

Gandale
#58 Posted : 10 January 2021 12:04:44

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is really coming along beautifully... Very interesting to see how you're overcoming the problems she's presenting to you.... Very well done, very impressive indeed.....Love Love

Regards

Alan
budgie
#59 Posted : 10 January 2021 16:15:29

BigGrin Afternoon Folks

BlushingBlushing Cheers Alan

Crying Fed up sanding the hull ..just doing a wee bit at a time

Crying probably subconsciously delaying the shaping around prop areaBored

Cool Need to get some shapes added to keep me motivated

Starting with an easy bit...I hope .. the gun platforms midships

Templates already enlarged

Pic 1 shows colour card to be stuck to plain template for platforms

Thickness measured from card and doubled

Don’t have 8 or 6mm mdf or ply but do have 2 3 and 5mm so platforms were cut on 3mm mdf and stuck on to another piece of 3 and 5mm to make up the height
gundeck.jpg
gundeck1.jpg
gundeck2.jpg
budgie
#60 Posted : 16 January 2021 19:55:18

BigGrin Good Evening Folks

Decided to add the decks to aid in shaping the hull

As the 1/200 scale decks are 1mm I have used 2mm mdf

There are 2 further card layers on top of this (1/200 scale)1 for the metal deck and another showing the wooden planking I thought it safe to progress

The aft deck and the midship deck fitted with an acceptable tolerance with being enlarged and my abilities

But the fwd deck looks a bit short Confused Confused Confused

Flapper Evel Kineval would have difficulty in crossing that gapFlapper

If the keel was too long then the other false decks would not have slotted in to their designated placesConfused Confused

I will re photocopy this deck template as it does not fit on 1 sheet of A3 incase I erred on joining the two templates together
Thanks for lookin'
deck.jpg
deck1.jpg
deck5.jpg
deck3.jpg
deck2.jpg
deck6.jpg
deckl4.jpg