Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 956 Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 13 November 2020 22:42:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all my boss asked me to build this for him.

I made a start

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 14 November 2020 15:06:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Off to a good start there Ken...BigGrin
CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 14 November 2020 15:21:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin That engine looks great Ken ThumpUp Good start

Regards Gray
kpnuts
#4 Posted : 15 November 2020 20:10:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys
Hi all more progress on this (you can tell its an old Tamiya kit as there is loads of detail to be added, thats not supplied with the kit)

kpnuts
#5 Posted : 19 November 2020 21:38:10

Hi all more progress, made some of the missing pipework.

birdaj2
#6 Posted : 19 November 2020 23:08:08

Ken

Very nice bit of painting on all of those small detailed parts.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
kpnuts
#7 Posted : 22 November 2020 21:23:08

Hi all I thought I had done my first colour coat then realised the rear fins should have been white on the outside.

And made a start on scratch building the brake air ducting (these bits are tiny 5x8mm)

For the ducting the plan is to use a spring and some shrink wrap (we will see thats the plan anyway))

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 23 November 2020 00:31:06

Ken

Very nice update.

I see you mention some ducting you are going to make.

Not sure if this would be of interest but some time ago i was looking at a build someone had done of that old Christie fire engine.

They replicated the hose pipes by winding thin wire around a rod and then they wrapped that in the ptfe plumbers tape.

Just wondering if the ptfe tape might take paint better?

Look forward to seeing how you get on.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#9 Posted : 23 November 2020 00:34:11

Ken

Ref my earlier post about ducting just had a search and i kept the link to the site i was talking about.

I remember now that the christie fire engine builder gad linked to this site showing how to make car ducting.

Just thought it might be of interest.

http://italianhorses.net...s/FlexHose/flexhose.htm

Tony
Happy Modelling

kpnuts
#10 Posted : 23 November 2020 07:36:20

Thanks so much tony for taking the time to search and for the great tip
roymattblack
#11 Posted : 23 November 2020 09:07:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I used that trick to make ducting on the Simil-R Ford GT40 a few years ago but I found PTFE tape wouldn't take paint.
Solution - I wrapped the rod with little cling film before binding with wire, then covered it with a layer of paper masking tape - not the 'waxed' kind Tamiya make.
It worked a treat and slid off the rod easily. Just trim or pull away any cling film that shows and paint...

Great work BTW Ken...BigGrin
tf64
#12 Posted : 23 November 2020 10:02:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Ken, looking very cool.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

kpnuts
#13 Posted : 24 November 2020 21:34:57

Oops please mask properly ( how did i make this novice mistake) now I have to mask again.

kpnuts
#14 Posted : 26 November 2020 21:27:36

More progress.

Made the air ducts and flexible hose for the brakes and decided (with great trepidation) to try the old kit decals. Seems they're fine (sighs with relief)

roymattblack
#15 Posted : 26 November 2020 23:00:56

Looks like you're really knocking this one out of the park Ken.
Keep it coming.BigGrin
tf64
#16 Posted : 27 November 2020 00:06:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely looking car Ken and a great build to.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

kpnuts
#17 Posted : 28 November 2020 21:50:33

More progress on the 956, added detail to the dashboard

And work on the wheels

Dont know why they used 2 different wheels sets (although it makes no difference when you put the 956 covers on as you can hardly see any of the wheel detail)

And more decal work

roymattblack
#18 Posted : 28 November 2020 22:40:28

Looks great Ken.
What did you use for the chrome bezel rings on the dash?
Was it a Molotow pen?
kpnuts
#19 Posted : 28 November 2020 22:52:41

No mate it was ak steel buffed up
kpnuts
#20 Posted : 05 December 2020 22:18:29

On the last leg now (more pipe work to add) but I have to attach the front to the car first and I can't do that till the gloss coat and I can't add that till all the decals were added  so here we are